Uvm Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robinhood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are chances for out of stater to get in off this?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently pretty good!
I called yesterday, and found out that there is ~100 people on the waitlist, the class size is ~95 and a great deal of their students come from the waitlist.

:luck:

This is so encouraging. Thanks for calling! Also, we can call on May 1st to find out where we stand on the waitlist. Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with admissions on the 8th and they said they are finished interviewing and reviewing candidates. So, it shouldn't be too long before they have the waitlist ranked. From what I hear, the waitlist is completely out of state students, not Vermonters or Maine Access people. The top third is supposedly as good as in, middle has a good chance and bottom third should probably think about going elsewhere or reapplying. Has anyone heard anything different?

My husband and I are releasing our UVM spots tomorrow but we're mailing a letter so those spots probably won't fill off the waitlist until next week. Good luck to you all. It's a beautiful place. I wish I could afford to attend.

Waitlist letter today. Is the handwritten part at the end a photocopy? Dr. Rathmell seems soooo sincere, so I doubt it, but thought I'd check. I loved UVM, this waiting process is about to suck. G'luck my friends. :luck:
Oh, and it said beginning on May 1 we can call the office to check our status on the list.

I got the waitlist letter today too ... I guess it's better than a rejection! :thumbup:

redsox2004 said:
Waitlist letter today. Is the handwritten part at the end a photocopy? Dr. Rathmell seems soooo sincere, so I doubt it, but thought I'd check. I loved UVM, this waiting process is about to suck. G'luck my friends. :luck:
Oh, and it said beginning on May 1 we can call the office to check our status on the list.

Did all three of you get the handwritten note? redsox, what did your note say?

premyo2002 said:
Apparently pretty good!
I called yesterday, and found out that there is ~100 people on the waitlist, the class size is ~95 and a great deal of their students come from the waitlist.

Just thought I'd clear up this confusion.....next year's incoming class size will be 105. They are accepting 5 more than usual due to the fact that no one will be able to transfer into the VIC.

P.S. to Redsox2004...I had my SN first! But I like your style...

hey guys I recieved a waitlist letter from vermont as well yesterday. i actually got a handwritten note from the dean along with the letter. did anyone else get this note from the dean?

I'm very curious, what did the handwritten note say?

hey all.. did everybody on the waitlist get a handwritten note? is the note an indicator that you have a better chance of getting in?.. cuz i got an encouraging message, but don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
some did and some didnt...i didnt :(

for those who didnt get it it basically said 'your an excellent candidate and we hope to offer you a spot in late spring'

for those who are currently waitlisted, are you going to do anything to increase the likelihood of getting accepted?

is there something you could actually do?

any strategies? any advice?

Hey guys,

There is this post by Bigpinesman that says that s/he called the admissions office on April 8th. Apparently, s/he was told that they were done interviewing and reviewing all applicants. Considering this, I should have heard back by now... right? I interviewed on March 3rd, so I wasn't really expecting anything until the end of April (the traditional 8 weeks). Or maybe s/he was talking about reviewing applicants pre-interview...? Does anyone have any info? Also, is the admissions office okay with phone calls, or should I avoid calling and patiently wait?

Thanks!! :luck:

They are super nice in the admissions office, so I don't imagine that it could hurt to call. Good luck!!

eena said:
for those who are currently waitlisted, are you going to do anything to increase the likelihood of getting accepted?

is there something you could actually do?

any strategies? any advice?

If I were you, I would wait to see where I stand on the waitlist ==> May 1st. If you end up in the lower third, it's probably not worth it to try anything. If you end up in the top third or middle third, then you can try to increase your chances of getting in. You could show interest in the school by writing an LOI. You could also call/write to the dean and/or the adcoms. Or, you could send in new grades, maybe get a new letter of recommendation to update your application, etc. :luck:

do they actually rank each person on the waitlist? or do they section us off into thirds?

KiKat37 said:
Hey guys,

There is this post by Bigpinesman that says that s/he called the admissions office on April 8th. Apparently, s/he was told that they were done interviewing and reviewing all applicants. Considering this, I should have heard back by now... right? I interviewed on March 3rd, so I wasn't really expecting anything until the end of April (the traditional 8 weeks). Or maybe s/he was talking about reviewing applicants pre-interview...? Does anyone have any info? Also, is the admissions office okay with phone calls, or should I avoid calling and patiently wait?

Thanks!! :luck:

I also Interviwed on march 3rd. I got waitlisted a week ago. I would try to call. Good Luck !

DoctorMalki said:
I also Interviwed on march 3rd. I got waitlisted a week ago. I would try to call. Good Luck !

Thanks for the info, DoctorMalki! :) I'll call tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything. I'm sorry about your waitlist and I hope we both hear good news soon. :luck:

boonguh said:
do they actually rank each person on the waitlist? or do they section us off into thirds?

My guess is that most of us are going to be sectioned off. The top 3rd will probably be ranked.

premyo2002 said:
My guess is that most of us are going to be sectioned off. The top 3rd will probably be ranked.

My understanding is that everyone gets a numbered position on the waitlist. They can't really make thirds without this info, they just tell you either which half or third you are in.It may be good news that you haven't heard anything, they may be waiting for spots to open to offer you a position and don't want to bother with putting you on the waitlist. I know of several people who have declined acceptances here, and I will be withdrawing my app soon.

Good luck, hope this helps

bigpinesman said:
...It may be good news that you haven't heard anything, they may be waiting for spots to open to offer you a position and don't want to bother with putting you on the waitlist...

Have you heard of this happening with any other schools... I don't know what the benefit would be on their behalf in just waiting vs just sending a waitlist letter and ranking you high on the list. (asking because i still haven't heard from my state school).
Thanks bigpinesman for withdrawing your spot so early... makes one less candidate that much happier that much earlier!

bigpinesman said:
. I know of several people who have declined acceptances here, and I will be withdrawing my app soon.

Good luck, hope this helps

Big thanks to you and your friends. I am getting perpetually more nervous each day. I really want to go to UVM, but if I don't get in by June 24th, I am also going to have to withdraw...that hurts to say :(

Well, I called UVM on wednesday to check the status of my app. Nobody would answer the phone, so I just left a message. They haven't called me back yet, and I don't think they will. I feel like trying again tomorrow, but I don't wanna push it. I'm getting antsy though... 7 weeks post interview... :rolleyes:

you know how they said to call on May 1st?.. that's a sunday.. are they really going to answer calls on sunday?

boonguh said:
you know how they said to call on May 1st?.. that's a sunday.. are they really going to answer calls on sunday?

No, definitely not. I assume this means that they will know by April 29th and you can call then. If not, then definitely the Monday after.

Dammit! Waitlisted... :mad: I can't believe it! I thought I had a very good interview. Not a good way to start the weekend. :(

KiKat37 said:
Dammit! Waitlisted... :mad: I can't believe it! I thought I had a very good interview. Not a good way to start the weekend. :(

Would you mind telling me how you found out you were waitlisted...I have yet to hear from them post-interview. Did the admissions office return your phone call?? Thanks a lot!

On the bright side you're not flat out rejected, so you can also look at it positively, especially as an out-of-stater.

bostonabe said:
Would you mind telling me how you found out you were waitlisted...I have yet to hear from them post-interview. Did the admissions office return your phone call?? Thanks a lot!

On the bright side you're not flat out rejected, so you can also look at it positively, especially as an out-of-stater.

Yeah, you're right. And, I don't really care that much anyway. I liked UVM a lot when I interviewed, but I've also been accepted to a school that I like better. So, things are okay for me. But, you know, it still hurts my ego... ;)

Yes, they returned my phone call. A lady from the admissions office left me a message that I got this morning. It said something about calling on May 1st to find out where I am on the WL... I had not received a letter at that point, so I didn't even know that I was on the WL! :eek: Needless to say, it was a wierd way to find out. Of course, I got home in the evening and the letter was in my mailbox. :rolleyes:

Hope you hear good news soon! :luck:

Gettin' excited for May 1st...

:barf:

So what would the best news be? That we are in the top-tier? Okay. So supposing we are in the top tier, what do you think the chances of our getting off of it would be? From reading past posts, it seems some people say virtually 100%, but I just don't buy that. Who knows? A previous poster said that there are about 100 on the WL. It would be nice if it were this small, but it just seems to be that it might be larger. Both of my two friends who interviewed plus myself are all on the WL. Could just be that we all had a good interview, I suppose. Anyway, good luck, no matter what tier we may be in!

I remember Dr. Rathmell telling us that the waitlist is very small. He said that the waitlist is usually the same every year in terms of how many people are on it. They look at past waitlists to see how many people were actually admitted and then they decide this year's number. I remember him saying that if you are on the waitlist there is a really good chance of getting in. Good Luck everyone !! :luck: Does anyone know when UVM starts?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted you all to know that I withdrew from UVm today, and that should open up another acceptance for someone who wants it.

best to you all.

lynnie

lynnier79 said:
Hey everyone,

Just wanted you all to know that I withdrew from UVm today, and that should open up another acceptance for someone who wants it.

best to you all.

lynnie

Thanks!
I'll take it, that is unless someone else wants it... (jk!!)

This waitlist is freaking killing me. I am so pathetic, I think I'm going to wake up at 5am on May 2nd just to find out!!

Good luck everyone, I think that all of us Sdners should get some sort of priority status! :luck: :thumbup: :horns:

premyo2002 said:
I think that all of us Sdners should get some sort of priority status! :luck: :thumbup: :horns:

I like how you think :)

i'm really curious now....what did the "personal" note from dr. rathmell have to say? obviously, i didn't get one.
i called and spoke w/ mary campbell today and she seemed perturbed although i asked only a little question about being on the alt. list.
this is what confuses me....dr. rathmell did mentioned to us on the day i interviewed that if we get an alt. list letter, the chances are pretty darn good we will be accepted....
ok, then other staff said that it depends on the pool....
then, someone from sdn indicated that if you're on the bottom third....look elsewhere....
so, what the heck is going on? :confused: :scared:

st. pius v said:
i'm really curious now....what did the "personal" note from dr. rathmell have to say? obviously, i didn't get one.
i called and spoke w/ mary campbell today and she seemed perturbed although i asked only a little question about being on the alt. list.
this is what confuses me....dr. rathmell did mentioned to us on the day i interviewed that if we get an alt. list letter, the chances are pretty darn good we will be accepted....

He probably said that to get peoples hope up, so that they will either hold off on going to other schools to wait and hear from UVM, or so that they will put all of their eggs in the UVM basket, which allows UVM to have a larger waitlist. They are very good at stringing things out, giving you enough to keep your hopes up without really telling you anything concrete like: you're accepted! or you probably won't get in, look elsewhere! Either way, he can't possibly know how many people will come off the waitlist until May 15th. It could be a high percentage of the class like last year, or it could be a small as I have seen happen in the past.

i remembered how i found out that i was on the waiting list....i called the morning after the committee review and i was told that. also, the staff also advised me to go on my other interviews and said she would do so if she was in my position....i sort of took that as a hint that i might be on the bottom third of the pile.
the question is....when do they start to divide the alt.list pile? after may 1st or after may 15th? or even before May 1st?
i'm still curious to what the "personal note" from dr. rathmell has to say.... :idea:

st. pius v said:
the question is....when do they start to divide the alt.list pile? after may 1st or after may 15th? or even before May 1st?

im pretty sure they rank the waitlist before May 1st...thats why you call after May 1st so that they tell your waitlist position.

st. pius v said:
i'm still curious to what the "personal note" from dr. rathmell has to say.... :idea:

i told people what it said...you can find it on the 1st page of this thread

Just curious, how many of you guys sent in a LOI?

gintien said:
i told people what it said...you can find it on the 1st page of this thread
Just curious, how many of you guys sent in a LOI?

ahhh....i got - "you are an excellent candidate.....hope to offer you a spot late spring". that's VERY encouraging....wish i got that personal note....

what is LOI? (letter of I....)

I second the above post. I'm sure they have already devided to list or are in the process of dividing it. That's why we can call after May 1st and find out where we stand.

I also remember being told at my interview that a lot of people got in off the waitlist last year, and that the first tier is almost sure to be accepted. However, I think that we have to take this with a grain of salt. I agree with the previous posts that they probably tell us that to keep us on the list and waiting on UVM.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here. There is still plenty of time and there are lost of things we can do to improve our situations (LOIs, new transcripts, new LORs, etc). But, I do think that people have to be realistic. I know that if I end up at the bottom of the list, I won't keep my hopes high. That's just the reality of waitlists. People in the top tier usually get in. People in the middle still have a decent chance of getting in. And, people at the bottom usually don't make it.

To gintien: I think most people will wait until they find out where they are on the list before sending in LOIs.

Best of luck everyone! It's not over yet!! :luck:

How about sending a letter of recommendation in addition to LOI?

Who should we write the LOI anyway?

For those of you who have not been accepted to any medschool this application cycle, what are your backup plans when you dont get in this year?

eena said:
How about sending a letter of recommendation in addition to LOI?
Who should we write the LOI anyway?
For those of you who have not been accepted to any medschool this application cycle, what are your backup plans when you dont get in this year?

i do intend to write a letter of continued interest....i just have to think about the timing of it....probably should have written as soon as i got the alt. list letter and before May 1st.
i don't know if they'll change the alt. list ranking once it's set by May 1st or not.
ok....here's another kicker....i was actually told before my interview that at his late in the game (i interviewed late in March) that i'd probably be on the waitlist....so for those late interviewees, go figure....
no back-up plan, just continue working at my full-time job and re-apply.

once may 1st comes around, is the waitlist set in stone? for example, can you worsen your position on the waitlist if your second semester grades stink? i'm afraid to send in my new transcript cuz my grades were horrendous..

actually, does anyone know what their policy is on maintaining a certain gpa?

boonguh said:
once may 1st comes around, is the waitlist set in stone? for example, can you worsen your position on the waitlist if your second semester grades stink? i'm afraid to send in my new transcript cuz my grades were horrendous..
actually, does anyone know what their policy is on maintaining a certain gpa?

yeah, that was exactly my question.... can you still move up or down on the waitlist after May 1 (?)....who knows, i'd probably ask someone who's a 1st-yr. now at uvm and see if he knows the answer.
my guess is the that the alt. list is NOT set in stone. :cool:

I just withdrew my acceptance from UVM by email yesterday and got a confirmation of that by email this morning from an admissions person. I really enjoyed my visit to UVM and I believe it's an awesome school, so I hope one of you guys will hear soon! Good luck to you all.

Anyone planning on calling UVM to check their status tomorrow (Friday)? Or just going to wait until Monday?