Uvm!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CLASS OF 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you very much....
good luck to everyone else who is still waiting

PS email today in the morning.
I can finally smell the roses

Members don't see this ad.

CLASS OF 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you very much....
good luck to everyone else who is still waiting

PS email today in the morning.
I can finally smell the roses

Congrats!!!!!!!
May I ask when you interviewed?

Wow...Congrats to all those who recently got accepted!! :)

Good luck to those still waiting...hang in there:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!!!!
May I ask when you interviewed?

Weekend artound March 25-26 (don;t have the calendar around)
R
lots of EC
interview was really GREAT!

all the best in your waiting game
It is a great school, ie even a bit pricey.
Totally worth!

Accepted today!

I actually didn't receive an acceptance by email, but got an invite to second look weekend. I took this to be good news and went online to the Applicant Center. Lo and behold...

Good luck to those on waitlist or still in hope. UVM is a very tough school to beat. If my stats are helpful, they're in my mdapps profile. Interviewed March 8th.

TOUCHDOWN!!!! Finally!! That only took way too many years! I got in...obviously. And to any of you still waiting...don't give up! It took me three years..literally. 3 MCATS, applied 3 times, interviewed in nov, and waitlisted since december. IS. Don't give up!! See y'all in Aug, or may 4th.

TOUCHDOWN!!!! Finally!! That only took way too many years! I got in...obviously. And to any of you still waiting...don't give up! It took me three years..literally. 3 MCATS, applied 3 times, interviewed in nov, and waitlisted since december. IS. Don't give up!! See y'all in Aug, or may 4th.

Can I ask when your status page changed?
And Huge CONGRATS!!
What a fantastic achievement!

A big yeeeee haaaww to all those who have been getting good news! any ideas on whether anything will be happening for those on waitlist before May15?

i talked to mary today and she said there will definitely be movement up until and after may 15th. congrats to all those who got in! i interviewed late feb and got placed on the OOS waitlist...i hope to join you all in august. UVM is awesome.

Hey guys!
I've been following all your threads, and I feel so happy for those of you who have been getting acceptance notices lately :)
I interviewed in mid February (the week of the :love:-day Storm! What an experience!) and my status has only recently changed to waitlisted. I'm a little disappointed about it, since UVM is my top choice, but I'm still hopeful. Oh, and I'm international too, so I guess it's a little extra hard for us :hardy:

I know many asked this question before, but any idea how quickly the UVM waiting list moves?

I spoke with Mary Campbell today, and she said that only after May 15th will I be able to know where I am on the list. This will be a rough estimate though, cause the waitlist is divided into a top third, a middle third and a bottom third, and UVM will only tells you in which third you fall.

I really hope to get in. This school is awesome and I know I'll be very happy there. Fingers continue to be crossed for all of us who remain in the same pool; and SurgeonUFO: Don't give up! :luck:

congrats folks. I got rejected pre-interview a long time ago but I still like to follow this thread and watch peoples' dreams come true. Especially spar2cuz-that is a lot of work and effort!

be well.

I will be down the street at UNECOM (do school in biddeford, ME) where some of you guys will be doing work at maine med in portland, mE

word!!
dave

Thanks, Dave.

And hey, I worked in Saco, just across the river from Biddeford, last year. You really can't beat the coast of Maine. Good luck at UNECOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, do you guys know how students typically perform on Step 1 under the VIC curriculum. I'm trying to decide between Dartmouth and UVM and UVM is winning in my heart. I just loved the school.
There was a recent Dartmouth vs. UVM thread in which someone said that UVM's average Step I scores was 216 or 218 (2006), and DMS's average Step I is 226 (2007, 100% pass).

By the way, what score is needed to qualify as a "pass" on Step I and what is the national average? Just curious.

By the way, what score is needed to qualify as a "pass" on Step I and what is the national average? Just curious.

National Average is around 215-220. To pass its around 182-184. Anything over 230+ (1 STD) is considered gold. 260+ (2 STD) you are one of the elite.

where can you find info about Step 1 scores for each school?

where can you find info about Step 1 scores for each school?
There's no national "list" so far as I know, as it's up to schools to decide whether or not to make it public. If you're below the average, why bother?

I wouldn't read too much in to it. The Step I average is more indicative of what type of student a school attracts.

Just got accepted to UVM today (got an email about Closer Look Day which prompted me to check my status page). Now I've got a tough choice to make - hometown school (UMass) or the state I've "adopted" as my home for undergrad (UVM)? While I guess it'll probably come down to financial aid, anyone have any advice on making a decision? I'm torn...

Does anyone know how we are supposed to pay the $100 deposit?
Check?
The check must be made payable to...who?

Just wanted to let those who are waitlisted know that I withdrew my acceptance today from UVM. Good luck to ya:thumbup:

So I'm on the waitlist for UVM and I'd love love to get it, but they just classified me as an out of state resident!?! (I know alot of you are in that boat, but I am sure you have much better stats than me...) I am pretty sure I won't get in on the out of state waitlist

Anyway, I've been living in Vermont for the past two and a half years and my life in VT did not start b/c of my desire to attend UVM....anyone have any advice on how I can convince UVM? I have a car registered, I have my license, I have three years of taxes with a VT address... I don't know what else to do.

Anyway, I've been living in Vermont for the past two and a half years and my life in VT did not start b/c of my desire to attend UVM....anyone have any advice on how I can convince UVM? I have a car registered, I have my license, I have three years of taxes with a VT address... I don't know what else to do.
I'm a little puzzled. I thought there was a page that made it pretty explicit what conditions you need to meet to be declared an in-state applicant. The four criteria that you need to meet are:

* you (or the parent upon whom you are dependent) have physically resided in Vermont for at least one full year prior to the first day of classes of the semester for which you are applying,
* that you rely on in-state sources for your financial support,
* that you are not in Vermont merely for the purpose of attending a college or university, and
* that Vermont is your permanent home and will remain so indefinitely.

As long as you haven't been a student in Vermont for the past two and a half years, you should be fine, no?

I'm a little puzzled. I thought there was a page that made it pretty explicit what conditions you need to meet to be declared an in-state applicant. The four criteria that you need to meet are:

* you (or the parent upon whom you are dependent) have physically resided in Vermont for at least one full year prior to the first day of classes of the semester for which you are applying,
* that you rely on in-state sources for your financial support,
* that you are not in Vermont merely for the purpose of attending a college or university, and
* that Vermont is your permanent home and will remain so indefinitely.

As long as you haven't been a student in Vermont for the past two and a half years, you should be fine, no?

Thats what I thought too- and I meet all of those requirements with one exception-

1) I took a one month summer course within a year of moving to Vermont, but I haven't taken a single class for the past two years.

Also they say that I haven't proved that VT is my "true, permanent and fixed home" but really how am I supposed to prove that more that I already have? I am sorry to vent, I am just frustrated.

Also they say that I haven't proved that VT is my "true, permanent and fixed home" but really how am I supposed to prove that more that I already have? I am sorry to vent, I am just frustrated.
Wow, how frusterating.

I sympathize with any college that makes it strict for in-state residency, to prevent folks from moving there a year ahead of time to reap the same benefits as those who've lived there a long time. But you have to draw the line somewhere. That last bullet is very subjective.

Have you tried scheduling a meeting with someone to rectify this? I know that once you're tagged as OOS, you can't lose it later and that can be a $100K issue for you.

Anyone getting any WaitList love of late? Just wondering ...

BUMP, BUMP ... :laugh:

no waitlist love here...wouldn't it be nice...sigh.

No word from UVM as of yet... I am just waiting to see where I am on the waitlist on May 15th. Does anyone know if they tell us our number in line or if the just tell us which third we're in?

would anyone happen to know approximately how big the waitlist will be?

No news here eihter, still waitlisted. I know this question has been asked over and over, but any idea how long the waitlist usually is, and how many people do actually make it from the list?

Hey, FYI

I spoke to Mary Campbell during my interview in January, and she said that although come May 15th you will know what relative third you fall under on the WL (i.e, Upper, Middle, & Lower Third) :idea: , UVM does not divulge the # of people on their waitlist (as this figure changes constantly). :rolleyes:

However, I guess we could ask Admissions (or dig through MSAR) to find out the number of accepted people (not matriculants). If we get that number and subtract the normal class size, that's the amount off the WL, obviously. And, if we were to assume they WL everyone they interview but don't accept immediately, and that they don't outright reject anyone either (not really plausible), that's your maximum (and obviously very conservative) upper bound.

If I recall, I think they interview like 900 something, right? And the class is about 100? That leaves us, as a max, with 800 leftover for possible WL (or rejection too, if we get into that). Problem is ... I've never heard of any UVM rejection stats.

Another notion to consider is that most schools make WLs so that the Upper Third is usually a shoe in to get in later on, right? So, recall The number accepted - number matriculating = number off waitlist ... if this is approximately the upper third, then we can multiply that number by 3 and get a decent approximation thereof, of the total amount. And if they get into the Middle Third too, then obviously that total figure is even smaller than expected.

To me, that's the most realistic estimate of all, since UVM obviously has to reject some people outright after interviewing them. But obviously, this is all purely statistical speculation on my part.

But nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if that last approximation is close to the real thing. It makes sense, logically.

At second-look day last week I heard someone say that they accept about 200 people for a class of just over 100. So really there are a max of 700 on the waitlist if 900 interview (but who really thinks they never ouright reject after the interview?).

Good luck to all of you hanging on the waitlist. Second look day was really great...the VIC seems amazing, the students happy and balanced, and the faculty/staff were super-friendly.

OneB

The MSAR said that UVM only interviews approximately 500 people.

The MSAR said that UVM only interviews approximately 500 people.
... and accepts 205 for an enrollment of 102 (last year's stats).

Algorhythmik- If I'm understanding you correctly, your idea of "number accepted - number matriculating = number off waitlist" would only be valid if we assume that the number of straight out acceptances is equal to the size of the entering class. Is that true?

I think most medical schools overaccept, with the assumption that many folks will turn them down for another school come May 15th. I have no idea of the amount, though.

Regardless, I've heard annecdotally that UVM takes lots of the waitlist. I hope everyone hear's great news soon.

BINGO. Which, as you're right to point out, they probably don't do ... I'm sure they go overboard the first time around knowing full well that people will withdraw :smuggrin: to open up spaces.

As I said, a lot of the stuff is pure inductive :idea: speculation on my part ... weird about MSAR though. I could swear Mary Campbell telling me while I was there that they interview just under 1000, like 900 & change. Hmmm ... but, I hope your smaller number is the truer of the pair ... makes my life on the WL easier to live through. :p :thumbup:

Regardless ... :luck: to us ALL on the WL. :thumbup:
- ALGO.

BTW ... I had a simple question I'm sure some of you could easily answer for me:

When you get off the WL at UVM, do you get an e-mail updating you of the fact, or a phone call, or do you just log into the Online App-Center and randomly go, WOAH :hardy: , DUDE ... I'm so in ... and stuff :rolleyes:

HAHA. Thanks! :thumbup:

BTW ... I had a simple question I'm sure some of you could easily answer for me:

When you get off the WL at UVM, do you get an e-mail updating you of the fact, or a phone call, or do you just log into the Online App-Center and randomly go, WOAH :hardy: , DUDE ... I'm so in ... and stuff :rolleyes:

HAHA. Thanks! :thumbup:

No email or phone call for me, I found out by means of getting an email inviting me to Closer Look Day, which prompted me to check the Online App-Center. A snail-mail letter followed a few days later.

Also, I just made my decision final by sending my letter of withdrawal to UMass, so now it's official for me - UVM class of 2011! :)

pre-May15th ---> :sleep:

May 15th ---> :eek:

DO A LIL DANCE, MAKE A LIL LOVE ... :love:

GET DOWN TONIGHT, MAY-HEY 15th ...
GET DOWN TONIGHT, MAY-HEY 15th!!!! :hardy:

:thumbup: + :thumbup: = WL is now OPEN-SESAME people!

CHEERS!

pre-May15th ---> :sleep:

May 15th ---> :eek:

DO A LIL DANCE, MAKE A LIL LOVE ... :love:

GET DOWN TONIGHT, MAY-HEY 15th ...
GET DOWN TONIGHT, MAY-HEY 15th!!!! :hardy:

:thumbup: + :thumbup: = WL is now OPEN-SESAME people!

CHEERS!

AAAAAAAAAH! It still says I'm waitlisted! Has anyone seen a status change?

AAAAAAAAAH! It still says I'm waitlisted! Has anyone seen a status change?

No change in status here, though applicants are only required to withdraw acceptances from other schools by May 15th. We can only hope Admissions is as anxious to see who else will be with them in August as we are. Good luck all. :luck:

Has anyone called? I dont have access to long distance phone calls right now.

Has anyone called? I dont have access to long distance phone calls right now.

I called, and they're still working on finalizing the waitinglist. I guess if people are withdrawing "by" May 15th, then admissions needs a day or two to work out who is where exactly.
:luck: to all of us! And if anyone hears anything, please keep us updated :thumbup:

Waitlisted? They changed the date we will learn about our spot on the waitlist to May 25th! Boooooo! :( Check it out for yourself.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (why isn't there an emoticon of a crying face???)

Here are some of the emotions flying through my head when I saw they changed it to ten MORE days before we find out ...

(and thus, there is a CRYING smiley ... it's made by typing colon/cry/colon)

+pity+ ---> :cry: ---> :bullcrap: ---> :beat: ---> :barf:

:)meanie: )

Oh well ... what's ten more days, eh? :rolleyes:

CHEERS! :(

My status page still says May 15 :confused:

Oh well, just makes me more certain that I'll be more than happy going to Albany.

My status page still says May 15 :confused:

Oh well, just makes me more certain that I'll be more than happy going to Albany.

Hmm, makes me worried. Does that mean that people are being categorized, some will learn earlier than others?
And SurgeonUFO, I think you should go to Albany. Please go to Albany. Please :hardy:

So, I'm pretty much with the Lant-ster on this one ...

get your ass to Albany, ASAP. :cool:

and that's weird that some of you have different status thingies. Although ... I am also noticing that none of those who say theirs still says the 15th have any new waitlist status change ... which, honestly, makes me believe it may just take Admissions a while to manually update each and every single person's status page 1 by 1, by one letter (from 1-5th to 2-5th). I mean, they also would have to manually update each person's to reflect the impending WL third we've made, right? So, why is a new status review-date so out of the question?

If this is the case, I wonder what that means for those people whose status review date has already been edited ... does that mean first in line possibly? (or last???) ARRRRRRRRG

I know that 1 by 1 edit scheme sounds super impractical for an Admissions Office, but aren't we also talking about the same system that makes us wait all year long to just OPEN a damn wait list thingie, takes a few days to write us back, and weeks/months to verify secondary apps, on average?

SHEESH. All this makes me so damn anxious. :eek: DAMN IT!

Quick, somebody call Homer and tell him I need a beer. And a beer joke. A good one. :p