UW-Madison v Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiedavisak

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I am having a really hard time deciding between uw and tufts and could use some insight. I was just accepted to Tufts and am #3 on the oos waitlist for uw-madison so it's pretty likely I will be offered a spot. I am oos for both and each will most likely be around the same cost for tuition and COL is pretty similar. I am mostly interested in small animal ECC or small animal surgery. I am visiting uw in a few weeks but won't be able to visit Tufts so if any current students or people who know more about each school has any insight it would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not a vet student yet so I don’t have much to offer but I actually think UW-Madison would be cheaper, their tuition is ~14k less than Tufts per year. Also, according to VIN, UW has a lower COL as well

Not a vet student yet so I don’t have much to offer but I actually think UW-Madison would be cheaper, their tuition is ~14k less than Tufts per year. Also, according to VIN, UW has a lower COL as well
Their base tuition is cheaper, but ive heard that tufts also usually gives better financial aid packages so I am assuming the cost of schooling will balance out to be around the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!! I am having a really hard time deciding between uw and tufts and could use some insight. I was just accepted to Tufts and am #3 on the oos waitlist for uw-madison so it's pretty likely I will be offered a spot. I am oos for both and each will most likely be around the same cost for tuition and COL is pretty similar. I am mostly interested in small animal ECC or small animal surgery. I am visiting uw in a few weeks but won't be able to visit Tufts so if any current students or people who know more about each school has any insight it would be greatly appreciated :)
Hi! I'm a current third-year student at Tufts.
The ECC department is pretty busy and has a large caseload. I can't speak to small animal surgery just yet.
Is there anything specific you'd like to know about Tufts/the area?

Hi! I'm a current third-year student at Tufts.
The ECC department is pretty busy and has a large caseload. I can't speak to small animal surgery just yet.
Is there anything specific you'd like to know about Tufts/the area?
I think my biggest concern about tufts is feeling isolated cause it doesn’t seem like there’s a whole lot in the area and it’s very far from family/friends for me. I know Boston and Worcester are close but I feel like I won’t have time to go to Boston often or anything like that. I’m also a little concerned that the campus is just vet students and some grad students so that’ll be a little isolating as well. How has your experience been with those things?

I think my biggest concern about tufts is feeling isolated cause it doesn’t seem like there’s a whole lot in the area and it’s very far from family/friends for me. I know Boston and Worcester are close but I feel like I won’t have time to go to Boston often or anything like that. I’m also a little concerned that the campus is just vet students and some grad students so that’ll be a little isolating as well. How has your experience been with those things?
I personally do find it a little isolating, but I do get out pretty much as often as possible. I'm about to enter clinics, but this past weekend alone I went to Boston, Worcester, a southern town to hike, and I'm about to go hiking again. Before that I spent some time in Maine. With clinics starting soon, I definitely have more time for that, but I definitely still got out and about while I was in didactics. My grades took a hit, for sure, but for me it was worth it. And honestly, even my more studious classmates get out quite a bit. I do unwind on my own by investing my energy in like, the arts and music and stuff. Having roommates or a good neighbor can help. While in the thick of studying for second-year exams, I'd often go to the public library rather than the school library to feel more like I was part of a broader community.

That all said, it's really not as rural as it appears. I'm like, ten minutes from Target and a boatload of restaurants, bars, gyms, ice rinks, etc. And Worcester is really only a fifteen minute drive. There a lot of signs around that say like, 'thickly settled' and that really is accurate; it doesn't seem like it should be a sprawling area, but there's a good amount of stuff going on.

I personally do find it a little isolating, but I do get out pretty much as often as possible. I'm about to enter clinics, but this past weekend alone I went to Boston, Worcester, a southern town to hike, and I'm about to go hiking again. Before that I spent some time in Maine. With clinics starting soon, I definitely have more time for that, but I definitely still got out and about while I was in didactics. My grades took a hit, for sure, but for me it was worth it. And honestly, even my more studious classmates get out quite a bit. I do unwind on my own by investing my energy in like, the arts and music and stuff. Having roommates or a good neighbor can help. While in the thick of studying for second-year exams, I'd often go to the public library rather than the school library to feel more like I was part of a broader community.

That all said, it's really not as rural as it appears. I'm like, ten minutes from Target and a boatload of restaurants, bars, gyms, ice rinks, etc. And Worcester is really only a fifteen minute drive. There a lot of signs around that say like, 'thickly settled' and that really is accurate; it doesn't seem like it should be a sprawling area, but there's a good amount of stuff going on.
Thank you so much that helps a lot!!