UW Med Flight down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiger26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a terrible loss. Their families and friends will be in my prayers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make that one more reason I dont think its a good idea to fly. Was the Dr a resident, does anyone know?

I posted about this about the same time a few posts down. Darren Bean was an attending. He started as staff here in 2002, the same time I started internship. He trained at Carolinas Medical Center. I worked with him directly in intern year in the ED and as a radiology resident. He was very well liked by all and a great physician. I don't know the other two, but they will be sorely missed as well.

Make that one more reason I dont think its a good idea to fly. Was the Dr a resident, does anyone know?

This is a thread about three families who just lost a loved one while they were trying to help a sick person. I don't think we need to make this into a debate about the merits of flying. It's a worthwhile debate, just not right here and not right now.

He was an attending. At UW, attendings fly on every flight.

Their families are in my thoughts. What a tragedy.:(:(

I posted about this about the same time a few posts down. Darren Bean was an attending. He started as staff here in 2002, the same time I started internship. He trained at Carolinas Medical Center. I worked with him directly in intern year in the ED and as a radiology resident. He was very well liked by all and a great physician. I don't know the other two, but they will be sorely missed as well.

Sorry if I accidently hijacked your thread, Whisker---looks like we were both posting at the same time, but you got me by about 2 min

This is a thread about three families who just lost a loved one while they were trying to help a sick person. I don't think we need to make this into a debate about the merits of flying. It's a worthwhile debate, just not right here and not right now.

He was an attending. At UW, attendings fly on every flight.

Their families are in my thoughts. What a tragedy.:(:(

A noble consideration on your part, but there are those of us who cannot help but have every accident reinforce doubts about flying.

When you have strong, one could argue top, residencies that refuse to waive flight requirements I personally find it hard to keep quiet.

Terrible tragedy though, just terrible.

A noble consideration on your part, but there are those of us who cannot help but have every accident reinforce doubts about flying.

When you have strong, one could argue top, residencies that refuse to waive flight requirements I personally find it hard to keep quiet.

Terrible tragedy though, just terrible.

How many of those are there that will not let their residents opt out? I was just running through the list in my head, and i came up with THREE. Even if there were six, I still don't think that is a huge burden even for those who want to go to a "top" residency. Pick your own "top ten," and I bet there's only one that REQUIRES flight. Plenty of them have opt-out flight exposure. It's much much harder to get flight experience in EM than it is to avoid it.

I'm a med student at UW and just finished an ER rotation. Dr. Bean was such a friendly, enthusiatic doc. It's true that everyone seemed to love him. He always had a smile on his face. He also helped out with the wilderness medicine class. His wife was also involved and they were this kinda cool energetic couple. He also had two kids. So sad... he was a young guy who was just at the start of a great career. He will greatly missed by UW and the Madison community.

And that other med flight crash was not UW. This is actually the first crash in over 20 years.

Damnit.

May they always have fair winds and following seas.