Program-Specific Info / Q's UW MOT FALL 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA2WAGIRL

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Anyone apply or going to be applying for the University of Washington's MOT program for fall 2018? Let's communicate here about our process!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi @CA2WAGIRL! Thank you for starting this thread. I plan on applying to UW, however have not finished my supplemental essay for them yet. I hope to get my application in by the end of this week. Have you already submitted everything?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @CA2WAGIRL! Thank you for starting this thread. I plan on applying to UW, however have not finished my supplemental essay for them yet. I hope to get my application in by the end of this week. Have you already submitted everything?
Absolutely! Yes, I have submitted the OTCAS and uw grad school app! Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that pretty standard for them? Do you know if they follow the same start calendar as undergrad?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Is that pretty standard for them? Do you know if they follow the same start calendar as undergrad?

I think so! undergrad and MOT doesn't notify until later in march and they start at the end of september!

I know decisions are still probably 2 months out or so, but it hasn't stopped me from checking in on my Grad Applicant status page every few days. Haha :)

I know decisions are still probably 2 months out or so, but it hasn't stopped me from checking in on my Grad Applicant status page every few days. Haha :)
Is that where we will be notified? We'll probably be emailed as well, right?

Oh yes, for sure! And mailed a letter, as CA2WAGIRL said. I just check the page in case there's any chance it gets updated first, though realistically I know decisions are a long ways off. Pretty silly I know.. but the waiting is hard!:)

I applied in November and checked yesterday and they said they'll send out notices in mid-March!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I received an acceptance email from UW’s MOT program this morning. I will likely turn down the offer but I wanted to post an update and wish everyone the best of luck!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got an email saying I was denied... Best of luck to everyone else!

Hey guys, I received an acceptance email from UW’s MOT program this morning. I will likely turn down the offer but I wanted to post an update and wish everyone the best of luck!!

Where have you decided to go instead?

Just got a denial email, bummer! Best of luck to everyone!

Me too! Any idea how the waitlist works or chance of getting in?
I have no idea. The email stated they won’t be able to tell us where we are on the waitlist, unfortunately. I just want to know where I stand!

Last edited:
Still in shock after receiving an acceptance this morning! UW is my first choice so I’m beyond excited! Wasn’t expecting to hear anything for another month or so. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Still in shock after receiving an acceptance this morning! UW is my first choice so I’m beyond excited! Wasn’t expecting to hear anything for another month or so. Best of luck everyone!
Leemer, you rockstar!

Thanks lady! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
I appreciate your support! UW is going to be such an awesome program if everyone is as supportive of each other as applicants have been on this forum.

@leemer when did your email say you have to accept/secure your seat in the class? I was waitlisted just trying to figure out roughly when we might hear back. The waitlist email says they can't tell students their position on the waitlist.

@leemer when did your email say you have to accept/secure your seat in the class? I was waitlisted just trying to figure out roughly when we might hear back. The waitlist email says they can't tell students their position on the waitlist.
March 9th!

NatOT did you apply to any other schools?
I applied to St. Augustine (San Marcos), which is my first choice, and I am interviewing with them next Thursday, then Tuoro and Midwestern. UW was my second choice.

Just got my acceptance letter yesterday! I was accepted to both programs I applied to! (UW and UPS) So very grateful!! I'm going to accept the offer from UW!!

Me too! We're going to be classmates! I'm so excited to meet everyone in the fall and get started working towards our degree!

Good luck to everyone on the wait list and still waiting to hear back from other schools!

I spoke with Charu Gupta. She said students have until March 9th to accept their offer. The alternate list will be opened until the first day of school.

I got the email from UW yesterday that I'm on the waitlist. I'm honesty shocked that I didn't get a denial letter from them because of how competitive the program is. Fingers crossed!

Congrats leemer! I got accepted yesterday too! Any idea if there will be a community Facebook group or an information session for accepted students? My big concern is housing since I know Seattle is quite expensive, so I think the only way I could afford it would be if I found roommates through the program.

Congrats leemer! I got accepted yesterday too! Any idea if there will be a community Facebook group or an information session for accepted students? My big concern is housing since I know Seattle is quite expensive, so I think the only way I could afford it would be if I found roommates through the program.

Awesome, congrats!! I remember from an info session current students said there would be a facebook group and that many students found housing together. Seattle is very expensive, but if you don't mind a commute they said you could find more affordable housing a bit farther out. I'm still debating whether I want to spend more and be close or save some money and have a commute..

Awesome, congrats!! I remember from an info session current students said there would be a facebook group and that many students found housing together. Seattle is very expensive, but if you don't mind a commute they said you could find more affordable housing a bit farther out. I'm still debating whether I want to spend more and be close or save some money and have a commute..
Oh awesome! I am in the same boat. I could stay where I'm at now and commute 45 min, but who knows how much longer if stuck in traffic.. Right now, I'm trying to decide between UPS and UW. I really wanted UPS, but the price difference is pretty undeniable. Such a hard decision!

Oh awesome! I am in the same boat. I could stay where I'm at now and commute 45 min, but who knows how much longer if stuck in traffic.. Right now, I'm trying to decide between UPS and UW. I really wanted UPS, but the price difference is pretty undeniable. Such a hard decision!

I'm in the same boat as far as commuting to UW, I live in Bothell and it's about 30-40 min away of course this is in good traffic! I plan on either leaving super early in the am to get to school before traffic and then use the extra time before class to study, orrr I might look into the bus schedules, because parking is probably going to be expensive and if we have a long commute anyways, why not do it on the bus so we can study the whole way there? I already can't wait to get more information about classes and start dates!!

I'm in the same boat as far as commuting to UW, I live in Bothell and it's about 30-40 min away of course this is in good traffic! I plan on either leaving super early in the am to get to school before traffic and then use the extra time before class to study, orrr I might look into the bus schedules, because parking is probably going to be expensive and if we have a long commute anyways, why not do it on the bus so we can study the whole way there? I already can't wait to get more information about classes and start dates!!
I’m a current student in the program and live in Bothell, but really it’s the Mill Creek area. I take the 860 from McCollum park and ride, but there are other community transit routes that go to UW. If I have an 8:30am class, I take the 6:58am bus and that typically gets me there right on time. Traffic is pretty crazy between 6:30am and 9:00am. You can use it as a good study time, but we did just sign for an apartment in Seattle to be closer to campus since my husband just got a job at the medical center. Driving with out carpool will unfortunately take much longer and then parking is over $400 per quarter.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a current student in the program and live in Bothell, but really it’s the Mill Creek area. I take the 860 from McCollum park and ride, but there are other community transit routes that go to UW. If I have an 8:30am class, I take the 6:58am bus and that typically gets me there right on time. Traffic is pretty crazy between 6:30am and 9:00am. You can use it as a good study time, but we did just sign for an apartment in Seattle to be closer to campus since my husband just got a job at the medical center. Driving with out carpool will unfortunately take much longer and then parking is over $400 per quarter.
Hey, PNW_OT! Any advice for incoming students? Anything you wish you had done to prepare? Strengths and weaknesses of the program?

I’m happy to have a current student in the thread! Do you know anything about how the waitlist works or how many people usually get in off the waitlist? This is my number one program and I’m trying not to give up hope.

Thank you for the info! Do you know if UW facilitates any communication between current and incoming students to ask these kinds of questions?

To those of you accepted: how many of you were accepted right out of undergrad? Or are more of you older students who had more in field experience before being accepted?

Hey, PNW_OT! Any advice for incoming students? Anything you wish you had done to prepare? Strengths and weaknesses of the program?

Hi! In terms of preparing, some people said reviewing anatomy was helpful for them. The first quarter we start out on all of the upper and lower extremities. Maybe reviewing the muscles, origin and insertion, and nerve level innervation would be helpful but also not necessary if you don’t. You’ll do just fine.
UW can tend to be pretty lecture based and fast paced with the quarter system, so that might be seen as a weakness. I’d say their strength is how they value student feedback and what is or isn’t working. They won’t let you drown if you’re having a hard time. The faculty is very supportive with both your academic life and personal life. I enjoy how relatable they are and care about your success. As the program progresses, your classes will get more hands on but you do have to spend a little bit of time learning some foundational aspects first.

Thank you for the info! Do you know if UW facilitates any communication between current and incoming students to ask these kinds of questions?
Yes! You will be assigned a second year buddy during the summer to communicate all your questions and concerns with. Someone will email you and ask a little bit about what you are looking for in a second year buddy and then pair you with someone from the cohort.

I’m happy to have a current student in the thread! Do you know anything about how the waitlist works or how many people usually get in off the waitlist? This is my number one program and I’m trying not to give up hope.
I don’t personally know how the waitlist works, but there are definitely people who came in from the waitlist. I’m not sure how many though. There is also a student from the previous year’s waitlist that reapplied during our cycle and got in, and I’m so glad she reapplied because she brings a lot of great qualities to our cohort. So no matter what, don’t give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
To those of you accepted: how many of you were accepted right out of undergrad? Or are more of you older students who had more in field experience before being accepted?
I'm an older student - 27 with a master's degree and 2 years of post-college work experience, though not in the OT or healthcare field

I'm also an older student, going to be 28 next month. I obtained a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in 2012 and have since been seeking out what kind of career I actually wanted to do. I found OT in 2015 or 2016 and have since been doing everything I could to get in. I took all the needed prereqs in the last 1 1/2 years, got a 4.0 in all and have been volunteering at different places since the first month I decided I was interested in OT. I also spoke with one of the UW professors of OT about job experience and she suggested I become a caregiver, so I took a class to become a Nursing Assistant Certified and have been working in an adult family home for a year now.

So, only volunteer specific OT experiences, but the care giving definitely involves some OT work as well.

Thanks! That's good information about parking, I knew it would be outrageous! And I bet just finding a daily spot every now and then will be a total bummer! I'm hoping my bus commute won't be too bad, but we shall see. I live in the south end of Bothell...as in Kirkland is literally right across the street from me! lol. Hopefully there's a good bus route that uses the 520 bridge!