el dudarino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
If accepted to both University of Washington and Keck (USC), which would you choose? I've been accepted at one of these schools and I'm waiting on the other. I'm not being presumptuous - I just want people's honest opinions about which school they would choose - pros/cons of each, etc, etc. Thanks.

skoaner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Status
el dudarino said:
If accepted to both University of Washington and Keck (USC), which would you choose? I've been accepted at one of these schools and I'm waiting on the other. I'm not being presumptuous - I just want people's honest opinions about which school they would choose - pros/cons of each, etc, etc. Thanks.
Keck

Last edited:

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
el dudarino said:
I imagine you're a Washington resident? If so, if I were you, I would go to the University of Washington -- absolutely no question about it. University of Washington has an outstanding reputation. You will get an amazing, well-rounded education--with both plentiful research and excellent clinical opportunities--at an amazing price. The surrounding area is exquisite as well. Granted USC is a fine institution, but its surrounding area leaves much to be desired.

Ah, if only I were a Washington/WAMI applicant -- I would have LOVED to go to the UW.

OP
E

el dudarino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Ambs - thanks for the post, but sadly I am not a resident of Washington, so my tuition at UW, although cheaper than USC is still around 29K/year.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
el dudarino said:
Ambs - thanks for the post, but sadly I am not a resident of Washington, so my tuition at UW, although cheaper than USC is still around 29K/year.
Wow, you must be an out-of-this-world applicant! Awesome! But still, 29K versus USC's 36K or so! Trust me, I love California and our west coast weather, but the UW, with all of Seattle's rain and cold, from what I've heard and seen, is an excellent, excellent place!

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
el dudarino said:
suck me beautiful.

(ps: if this isnt jeff, sorry!)

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UW hands down! you'll have much more faculty guidance, better curriculum, and cheaper tuition (you can gain residency after a year and meeting some community service requirements).

go to UW!!!

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
I'm a big fan of USC, and know people who love it there. But if I had to choose, I would probably go to UW. :luck:

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
oops, sorry dudarino, i just saw your post in the UW Adcom page. don't i feel like an a$$.

congrats on your acceptance to USC! :oops:

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
Keck has the happiest students I've ever seen! Granted the the surrounding area leaves much to be desired....so be like most students and don't live there!
UW has an amazing rural health program, while Keck trains you to work in urban areas with limited resources. In terms of price... you can't beat UW's tution and relative lower cost of living.
Keck is a school on the rise, with an explicit interest in clinical research (though strangely they don't tell you this during Interview Day.....) UW is already well-established in research and clinical experience.

But personally.... I've never bonded so quickly with a school; I'm biased and have to say I'd choose (and have chosen) Keck.

Go Trojans! :)

OP
E

el dudarino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Hey everyone - thanks for your responses...however, my decision has become much much easier, as I found out I was rejected from UW today :thumbdown:. So USC it is! :thumbup: (I was leaning towards them anyways). I went to undergrad at UCLA, but I'll gladly claim the Trojan football team anyday...sorry Bruins, you let me down all 5 years of undergrad....it's time for me to move on.

locks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
Congrats on becoming a Trojan. I'll probably see you there next year. As was previously mentioned, UW gives great primary care training because they're all about educating rural physicians that will stay in the NW. On the other hand, USC is on the rise and at USC you'll get amazing clinical training because of the location in the middle of LA, so you'll lack nothing there. In essence, both schools have great medical training, so if you would have been accepted both places...choose: Trojan or husky football??

easy answer

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
locks said:
Congrats on becoming a Trojan. I'll probably see you there next year. As was previously mentioned, UW gives great primary care training because they're all about educating rural physicians that will stay in the NW. On the other hand, USC is on the rise and at USC you'll get amazing clinical training because of the location in the middle of LA, so you'll lack nothing there. In essence, both schools have great medical training, so if you would have been accepted both places...choose: Trojan or husky football??

easy answer
Glad you got into Keck, you'll like it there. Pretty much guarantees you a California residency. Great school anyway. As for USC football, how's it going to be without Chow? Go Titans?!