UW vs NBMEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying for step and comlex and feel like i am all over the place with scores and was looking for some input.
UW % is between 70-85% on a regular basis
i took one NBME about 5-6 weeks about and got 205
took one of the new NBMEs (i think 26) 3 weeks ago and was a 215
took comsae this weekend and got 610

I am not sure where i am as i feel i know most of the time what the questions are getting at with UW but them i look at NBME questions and get such random off the wall stuff about zinc fingers and god knows what else and I am getting abused by those, so if anybody had a similar experience or advice please let me know

I have 5/6 weeks before step & comlex

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
UW at 70+% is hella high. Are you doing them as timed 40q blocks?

Which did you take 5-6 weeks ago? Could have just been a rough one (i've heard 25 can break you down real quick lol).

Could also be something related to endurance, particularly with multiple blocks and only 10 min in between. Can be rough to focus once you get to the third one.

UW at 70+% is hella high. Are you doing them as timed 40q blocks?

Which did you take 5-6 weeks ago? Could have just been a rough one (i've heard 25 can break you down real quick lol).

Could also be something related to endurance, particularly with multiple blocks and only 10 min in between. Can be rough to focus once you get to the third one.
yes doing 40q timed random

the one i did awhile back was before dedicated so i knew it would be low but i think it was 21

i did 25 and my percent correct was in the 70s but only ended up being 215

i personally dont think it is endurance, i have trouble with how vague the NBMEs are which is why i think my UW score is better but again if i knew i wouldnt be asking for help i guess, i will take one untimed and see how that goes, appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
yes doing 40q timed random

the one i did awhile back was before dedicated so i knew it would be low but i think it was 21

i did 25 and my percent correct was in the 70s but only ended up being 215

i personally dont think it is endurance, i have trouble with how vague the NBMEs are which is why i think my UW score is better but again if i knew i wouldnt be asking for help i guess, i will take one untimed and see how that goes, appreciate it
Nah don't take an NBME untimed, that's a waste of money. Even uworld untimed is a waste.

IMO (I'm an M2) step questions are based on both fact recall and interpretation. Its one thing to know the cause and symtoms of a given disease, its another thing to actually be able to pick it out in a vignette (Wilsons is a prime example for me). The latter part, you just gotta do more questions.

I took 25 a few weeks back, got a 194 and freaked out. Apparently its the hardest of the new ones (??), and my subsequent scores seem to back that up.

Nah don't take an NBME untimed, that's a waste of money. Even uworld untimed is a waste.

IMO (I'm an M2) step questions are based on both fact recall and interpretation. Its one thing to know the cause and symtoms of a given disease, its another thing to actually be able to pick it out in a vignette (Wilsons is a prime example for me). The latter part, you just gotta do more questions.

I took 25 a few weeks back, got a 194 and freaked out. Apparently its the hardest of the new ones (??), and my subsequent scores seem to back that up.
appreciate it, the NBME questions i have been having trouble with are the random non disease related ones (granted i still miss some of those as well but i can at least understand my mistake with those) like what is a lamin, what is the role of a zinc finger, etc if you got any tips for those let me know, nonetheless appreciate it

I just graduated so I haven’t taken the new ones, but the old ones had the steepest curves and questions were terrible. Uworld was much more reflective.

Thats a super high percentage correct, especially this early out. Have you taken UWSA1?

I think the new NBME's underpredict anywhere from 10-20 points from what I've seen

Hey @giguerex35 it's been a while! Take UW1 in the next couple of weeks for a more accurate understanding of where you stand. My NBME scores were initially lower but crept up closer to my exam. NBME18 was the exact same score as my Step 1. Most students will score within an average of UW1 and 2 +/- 10 points. Good luck!
hey for real been a long time hope youre killin it, appreciate it i still have like 5 weeks or so and was planning on taking both UWSA prob 2 weeks before my real date, i also have NBME 18 but it expires in i think 2 weeks so i will probably take that next week, did you feel the real test was similar to the NBMEs becasue honesty that is the only place I am getting beat up on everything else is fine I just cant seem to figure out the vague nature of the NBME questions

Most of my NBME were ~210-215 and my UWSA1/2 were both ~225... don't get my results until July but supposedly that should get around a 220-230. People seem to say nbme underpredict because of the curve and uwsa are pretty accurate.

Took usmle a week ago and comlex yesterday. Gotta say, comlex is easier with more emphasis on micro and pharm imo (although there were plenty of questions I missed). I walked out of both exams feeling like ****, but apparently that's normal too lol

Nah all the NBMEs besides 18 were very unlike the real exam. NBME18 and Free120 felt like the real thing, make sure you take them as close to possible to your exam date (like I would recommend the last week leading up to exam).

I will tell you for me, Step 1 felt like 7 blocks of UW. If you are comfortable with UW and scoring well on UWSA1 and 2, you should do well on the real thing. Good luck!
awesome appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
Most of my NBME were ~210-215 and my UWSA1/2 were both ~225... don't get my results until July but supposedly that should get around a 220-230. People seem to say nbme underpredict because of the curve and uwsa are pretty accurate.

Took usmle a week ago and comlex yesterday. Gotta say, comlex is easier with more emphasis on micro and pharm imo (although there were plenty of questions I missed). I walked out of both exams feeling like ****, but apparently that's normal too lol
But don't ppl say that uwsa1 over predicts or something like that. my exam in like a week. im asking cause idk if I should push back or not. i got 208 on nbme 26, 208 on school cbse, and just did uswa1 and got 222 (I pulled an all nighter yesterday so it may have messed up my score here a lil). uworld avg is ~60%. I'll be happy with anything above a 220 on the real thing honestly

But don't ppl say that uwsa1 over predicts or something like that. my exam in like a week. im asking cause idk if I should push back or not. i got 208 on nbme 26, 208 on school cbse, and just did uswa1 and got 222 (I pulled an all nighter yesterday so it may have messed up my score here a lil). uworld avg is ~60%. I'll be happy with anything above a 220 on the real thing honestly
Take uwsa2 its the most accurate. New NBME underpredict more than uwsa1 overpredicts from what I've seen on the internet. Uwsa2 should be more accurate. I have very similar scores to you and am awaiting my results so I think you should be fine

Reactions: 1 user