UW vs UT-memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleemma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Tennessee resident and I need to make a decision between U of Wisconsin and UT-memphis. The following is some fact I found about both schools.

What I like about UW:
1. much better reputation;
2. better program including teaching, clinic facilities and research opportunity, etc;
3. the life at Madison is enjoyable and safe.

What I do not like about UW:
1. four years' total tuition is $50,000 more than that of UT;
2. it is too cold in winter.

What I like about UT:
1. cheaper tuition;
2. warmer weather;
3. it is easier for my family. I do not have to sell my house. I have strong local connection, from friends, to doctors and professors at a private hospital with a big name (it has no residency program);

What I do not like about UT-memphis:
1. the city. feel unsafe in some area;
2. an average program.

UW is a top 25 research school and UT is probably around 70-80. I really do not know if it is worth to choose UW by spending extra 50,000$ and start over a life for my family (I have two kids).

Please feel free to share your opinion. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Tennessee resident and I need to make a decision between U of Wisconsin and UT-memphis. The following is some fact I found about both schools.

What I like about UW:
1. much better reputation;
2. better program including teaching, clinic facilities and research opportunity, etc;
3. the life at Madison is enjoyable and safe.

What I do not like about UW:
1. four years' total tuition is $50,000 more than that of UT;
2. it is too cold in winter.

What I like about UT:
1. cheaper tuition;
2. warmer weather;
3. it is easier for my family. I do not have to sell my house. I have strong local connection, from friends, to doctors and professors at a private hospital with a big name (it has no residency program);

What I do not like about UT-memphis:
1. the city. feel unsafe in some area;
2. an average program.

UW is a top 25 research school and UT is probably around 70-80. I really do not know if it is worth to choose UW by spending extra 50,000$ and start over a life for my family (I have two kids).

Please feel free to share your opinion. Thanks.

honestly, this sounds like a no brainer to me, UT all the way...

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, this sounds like a no brainer to me, UT all the way...

Could you please give more explanation?
I hope I could pursue academic medicine in the future. Will UW make it easier for me?

UW has an incredible assortment of research opportunities if you have a strong interest in academic medicine and offers excellent clinical training including clinical rotations in a variety of settings, some without residents so students can get more exposure and experience. That said, it's up to you whether you think you want to relocate to a different city given that you have a family, etc.

UW has an incredible assortment of research opportunities if you have a strong interest in academic medicine and offers excellent clinical training including clinical rotations in a variety of settings, some without residents so students can get more exposure and experience. That said, it's up to you whether you think you want to relocate to a different city given that you have a family, etc.

That is exactly what UW attracts me based on my interview experience.

I would pick UW, you would have a chance to live in a new, fun place, and network with people in a completely different region. If you're someone that doesn't like moving to a new place then its probably better you don't go. I find moving to a different environment really energizes me to do even better at my work/academics.

As a Memphis native, I'd have to say this is a tough one. Your question in my mind comes down to location [and money], not about the schools themselves. Both schools will be great. No worries on that front. If you've got a family, I think the question is whether you'll be happy ending up in Memphis. You can obviously leave for residency, but it'll just get harder to get out the longer you stay. I;ve never been to Madison, but I know that Memphis isn't for everyone. If you think your family will be happier and have a better life living in Madison than Memphis, I'd go to UW.

In almost any other instance I'd say save your $50G, but I know that deciding to stay in Memphis with two little kids might be a tough call.

Could you please give more explanation?
I hope I could pursue academic medicine in the future. Will UW make it easier for me?

No. Academic institutions don't care at all where you went to medical school. All they care about is where you get your advanced training (residency/fellowship) and how much you have published. Both you can obtain from either medical school

No. Academic institutions don't care at all where you went to medical school. All they care about is where you get your advanced training (residency/fellowship) and how much you have published. Both you can obtain from either medical school

I don't really agree with this. Are you really trying to compare UW and UT Memphis as academic research institutions? The OP needs to decide what's important to them but certainly they will have more opportunities at UW vs UT re: research.

So, basically, there is no difference for two students from Harvard and Howard?

As I understand, 90% of students at Harvard went to top residency program and only 20% at Howard went to top program.

If two students from Harvard and Howard have the same step 1 and 2 scores, which one has a better chance to go to a good residency program?

Which one is more important for a medicine career, your medical school or your residency program?

So, basically, there is no difference for two students from Harvard and Howard?

As I understand, 90% of students at Harvard went to top residency program and only 20% at Howard went to top program.

If two students from Harvard and Howard have the same step 1 and 2 scores, which one has a better chance to go to a good residency program?

Which one is more important for a medicine career, your medical school or your residency program?

You are comparing two things that aren't really comparable. Harvard students have much higher scores (more likely to get into top residency programs because of their natural abilities), are more likely to go for top residency programs for an academic career, and are more likely to specialize.

Because all the "gunners" go to top medical schools, there are usually more opportunities at less prestigious schools: see below

I could actually argue that a less prestigious research school, could benefit you more in the academic/research realm. A recent graduate of Texas Tech medical school (not a research powerhouse by any means) offered to do anesthesia research his freshman year, and since no other student wanted to do research in anesthesia, he got on almost every anesthesia paper in his 4 year period. We are talking about 20 papers. He now does neurosurgery at Mayo. Check pubmed: Jason Hoover. How many kids at Harvard graduate with 10+ publications without doing research years, phds, etc.?

Your residency is WAY more important than your medical school. Your medical school means almost nothing.