UWashington MPH, Emory MPH, or Harvard M.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a11ysa11y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this decision seems sort of obvious, but my dilemna is this:

I was accepted into Harvard M.S. in epi (I was estatic and everything, of course!). I had wanted to apply to the MPH program, but being straight from undergrad, I didn't qualify to apply. I applied to MPH programs at UWashington, Emory, and some other schools, which didn't require work experience.

So now my question is: does anybody have any advice on which program I should attend? I don't really see myself as becoming a professor or academic, so is an M.S. appropriate for me? Also too, is it worth all that money (Uwashington is $10,000 cheaper in tuition than either of the private schools I'm thinking about attending, even though I'm out of state.)? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

a11ysa11y said:

I was accepted into Harvard M.S. in epi (I was estatic and everything, of course!). I had wanted to apply to the MPH program, but being straight from undergrad, I didn't qualify to apply. I applied to MPH programs at UWashington, Emory, and some other schools, which didn't require work experience.

So now my question is: does anybody have any advice on which program I should attend? I don't really see myself as becoming a professor or academic, so is an M.S. appropriate for me? Also too, is it worth all that money (Uwashington is $10,000 cheaper in tuition than either of the private schools I'm thinking about attending, even though I'm out of state.)? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I think while the "harvard" name sounds great---and I'd have to think a hundred times before going there--an MS usually sets you up for a career in research or academia. It also implies that you will probably be pursuing a doctorate eventually. And if you really don't want to do all that--then going to Harvard's MS program may not be the best thing. (Even though I'd have a HARD time not going to harvard if I got in ;) But if you do want a more "terminal" degree, you might want to consider the MPH route...although some MPH grads get higher degrees eventually too. Some, not all.
I dont know much about Uwash, but since I'm from Atlanta and got into Emory's program (for epi) as well so I can tell you about Emory. Its in Atlanta, which I think is a great city. Cost of living in Atl and GA in general is fairly low. And since Emory is the best university we have here, going to and graduating from Emory makes a big difference esp if you look for employment in the Southeast. Also, they have tons of work, experience opportunities, esp b/c the CDC is down here it really makes a big difference. As for the cost--thats something that has REALLY bugged me too about Emory. Its EXPENSIVE! So in all honesty while the choice is yours, if I wanted to get an MPH, I'd go to Uwash. But if I was going to spend more $ for a private school, I'd probably go to Harvard, just b/c while Emory is a great school--I'm just not so sure its worth the "price" that they charge.

I second what ATLchic said...
I went and looked at Uof Wash. and hey who can beat $7-8000 tuition. I think you should consider the options involved whith an MS vs MPH before you make a decision about the school. I would talk to career counselors or you can also cal someone from each school and ask them about the career options for each degree.
Good luck on making a decision
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
a11ysa11y said:

Hi, I have a dilemma similar in some respects and was wondering if you or anyone else has any comments. I got into the M.S. in Health, Society and Human Development at Harvard as well as the MPH in Community Health Sciences at UCLA, and am debating what to do. I'm in a similar situation as you having only internship experience in public health (worked for an NGO) but not extended work experience. I want to do stuff in international health, probably more research based in the long term, but at this point I'm not convinced I won't enjoy a more hands-on, out in the field public health experience. I guess I want a bit of both. What I really need are solid skills that I can apply (epi, biostats) not a fluff degree but I would certainly enjoy the qualitative aspects of the education.

Please someone give me some input! Harvard is a lot of money ($50,000) and I want some info on how good the program really is. And also whether the MPH is better or the M.S. And finally does anyone know about the MPH in Community Health Sciences at UCLA???

Would really appreciate a response...

-omam

omam said:
Hi, I have a dilemma similar in some respects and was wondering if you or anyone else has any comments. I got into the M.S. in Health, Society and Human Development at Harvard as well as the MPH in Community Health Sciences at UCLA, and am debating what to do. I'm in a similar situation as you having only internship experience in public health (worked for an NGO) but not extended work experience. I want to do stuff in international health, probably more research based in the long term, but at this point I'm not convinced I won't enjoy a more hands-on, out in the field public health experience. I guess I want a bit of both. What I really need are solid skills that I can apply (epi, biostats) not a fluff degree but I would certainly enjoy the qualitative aspects of the education.

Please someone give me some input! Harvard is a lot of money ($50,000) and I want some info on how good the program really is. And also whether the MPH is better or the M.S. And finally does anyone know about the MPH in Community Health Sciences at UCLA???

Would really appreciate a response...

-omam

In my opinion, an MPH is a stronger degree if you want to pursue a career in international health. An MS "usually" sets you up for a doctoral degree. But since the MS is coming from Harvard--that name makes a HUGE difference. You have to consider cost, and what you think your return on investment will be. Like if you are only going to be making 45k starting, was paying 50k for harvard worth it to you? You also have to ask urself if this is the last degree you plan on pursuing...do you plan on going further? Do you plan on getting a phd, drph, mba, or something else...if so, then either degree would be fine.
Gluck, sounds like a HARD decision.