UWorld % correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbnj003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
after completing a block uworld shows two scores....one that you got on that block and another what "others" got.....avg score.

i was wondering does that average score mean that other ppl took the same block with the same combination?

and also if thats the case....lets say the avg was 50...that is low. does that just mean the block was just extremely difficult for most all ppl that took that block? iv had a couple of blocks where the avg was just that...and on a couple i scored a few points below and some that i scored a few points above. so basically im just skirting around the avg.

just wanted to know how this all correlates.

Members don't see this ad.

thanx but this is talking about ur cummulative performance avg. im talking about the invdividual blocks that you do.

i dont need an step 1 score correlation. i just want to know that if ur scoring "close" the avg score on that particular block.....how good or bad is it? even if the avg is as low as 50% for that particular block of questions.

but thanx for the thread. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UWorld.......Score estimate
50.00%......199
55.00%......210
60.00%......222
65.00%......233
70.00%......245
75.00%......256
80.00%......268
85.00%......279
90.00%......291

This uses the equation Score=%*100*2.3+84, but other threads have said the equation is Score=%*100*2.4+84 is the equation. Where are people getting these equations?

This uses the equation Score=%*100*2.3+84, but other threads have said the equation is Score=%*100*2.4+84 is the equation. Where are people getting these equations?

Estimations based on self-report of UW and Step performance. UW has only a rough correlation to Step scores, best anyone can tell (afaik).

Estimations based on self-report of UW and Step performance. UW has only a rough correlation to Step scores, best anyone can tell (afaik).

Based on my practice scores and percentages, I propose a new scale:

50.00%......194
55.00%......205
60.00%......216
65.00%......227
70.00%......238
75.00%......249
80.00%......260
85.00%......271

Based on my practice scores and percentages, I propose a new scale:

50.00%......194
55.00%......205
60.00%......216
65.00%......227
70.00%......238
75.00%......249
80.00%......260
85.00%......271
I suggest
UWorld.......Specialty estimate
50.00%......Family Medicine
55.00%......Psychiatry
60.00%......Pediatrics
65.00%......Internal Medicine
70.00%......Radiology
75.00%......Orthopedics
80.00%......Dermatology
85.00%......Plastic Surgery

I suggest
UWorld.......Specialty estimate
50.00%......Family Medicine
55.00%......Psychiatry
60.00%......Pediatrics
65.00%......Internal Medicine
70.00%......Radiology
75.00%......Orthopedics
80.00%......Dermatology
85.00%......Plastic Surgery

:thumbup:

Don't forget EM and gas!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar concern as the OP.

What do you guys think about those questions where only 30% of the people get right? There are quite a few of those! To make this even more troubling, what if the Uworld explanation goes something like::::

Educational Objective.... X may be caused by _____. Other issues such as, Y and Z may also caused this. However, A "PROBABLY plays the major role in the pathogenesis of X."

Yes, I'm actually quoting that last sentence.

What do you guys think about those questions where only 30% of the people get right? There are quite a few of those! To make this even more troubling, what if the Uworld explanation goes something like::::

Educational Objective.... X may be caused by _____. Other issues such as, Y and Z may also caused this. However, A "PROBABLY plays the major role in the pathogenesis of X."

I know what you're talking about. I had a question about delayed AV node conduction and I narrowed it down to either digoxin or verapamil and the answer was verapamil because it was MORE LIKELY than digoxin....it's frustrating!!

Thankfully, these types of questions are very, very rare.

Yeah, I agree! I started to not pay attention to my scores after I got through like half of uworld when I realized that almost a quarter of their questions border on the side of ridiculous. Though maybe that's an over estimate since I did the whole qbank after school got out w/o reviewing FA before, but yeah questions like that piss me off for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
For material that is not in FA, say like opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome and its associations, staining for it, etc. is all that stuff in UW b/c ppl have reported it being tested or are they questions to generate a curve?

For material that is not in FA, say like opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome and its associations, staining for it, etc. is all that stuff in UW b/c ppl have reported it being tested or are they questions to generate a curve?

I don't know that there's much of a point in doing it to generate a curve. I'm just going on all I have to go on -- shelves, NBME forms, the CBSE -- and UW's been so spot-on with everything else, I have no reason to think I shouldn't know it if it's in UW. Just my opinion though.

Seems kinda nuts if that thing is right. I'm 1000 questions into uworld, and my last 10 question blocks (46 random, unused, timed) averaged 76.2%. I shouldn't be scoring anywhere near that right now, as I'm 3 weeks into studying for this test, and I'm on page 220 on first aid (besides annotating from the random questions).

You guys ever feel like you're doing poorly only to get a good surprise at the end?

I'm going to take one of the UW self assessments this weekend... I guess I should do #2 if I'm only going to do one of them? Kinda sucks that I paid for both when I signed up a year ago...

Seems kinda nuts if that thing is right. I'm 1000 questions into uworld, and my last 10 question blocks (46 random, unused, timed) averaged 76.2%. I shouldn't be scoring anywhere near that right now, as I'm 3 weeks into studying for this test, and I'm on page 220 on first aid (besides annotating from the random questions).

You guys ever feel like you're doing poorly only to get a good surprise at the end?

Occasionally, yeah. But you getting 76% over your last 460 questions is pretty awesome -- certainly above where I am, both cumulatively and over the last several hundred questions.

One of my classmates who is about to be a 4th year writes questions.

Interesting. I wonder how much of the questions were written by medical students. If you read UWorld's website, it says the company was started by group of 5 residents (I guess they must be attendings by now). I was always under the impression that these questions were strictly written by practicing physicians but I guess having a medical student write Step 1 questions isn't a terrible idea since they aren't too far removed from the actual exam, as some of those residents/physicians might be.

I'm going to take one of the UW self assessments this weekend... I guess I should do #2 if I'm only going to do one of them? Kinda sucks that I paid for both when I signed up a year ago...

Just to second what others have said, a 76.2% cumulative is incredible as far as I'm concerned. U world is tough and tests on facts that, at least we, were never even taught!

So kudos, I think you are more prepared than you think!

I know what you're talking about. I had a question about delayed AV node conduction and I narrowed it down to either digoxin or verapamil and the answer was verapamil because it was MORE LIKELY than digoxin....it's frustrating!!

Thankfully, these types of questions are very, very rare.

I got questions like that on Step 1 and definitely wasn't expecting it. If you've got the brain power and the time, I'd suggest paying attention to that kind of stuff.

This correlation has to be BS. My past 4 blocks I've averaged 81% with a cumulative (around 500 questions) of 73%...

I've only gone through FA once and these UW questions in a week of studying.

This correlation has to be BS. My past 4 blocks I've averaged 81% with a cumulative (around 500 questions) of 73%...

Or not. Even with 1/4 of UW done, 73% is pretty damn respectable. Which you know.

I think the correlation, if done random blocks of 46 and not focused, is especially useful in the first 25-50% of Uworld. After that, I think people start having inflated scores due to repeated themes and similar questions. However, I also think there seems to be diminishing returns onset somewhere around 70-75% correct (at least based on the scores I've seen).

Having said all that, the correlation is still loose at best. Just find comfort in the fact that you're doing better than most people. That's about all you can really take away from it.

Last edited:

I think the correlation is there, I'm just shocked at how many people do as well as they do on the first pass (although this is SDN, which is the land of the over-acheivers). Either way, I think that I apply my knowledge well, but that I don't know the material cold at all. Multiple choice ftw... Most recent is up top.

60 (ack! 6:30am question=fail)

_____

There's definately an upward trend associated with Uworld. I started the Qbank about 15 days ago, and have ~650 unique questions left. I plan on doing 1-2 tests next weekend, so we'll see how the correlation is. These are all random, timed, unused, and blocks of 46. I do 2/day back-to-back.