UWorld Correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

je355804

Mew Nember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking through, and I see "uworld" posts are just about everywhere. I also see people saying they're aren't correlated, are correlated, and ever other answer possible.

My question is this... I don't find UWorld to be effective at actually learning a particular topic. I find it to be helpful at identifying weaknesses.

On my last NBME I got a 217, however I've been studying for about 3 weeks since then. Currently on Unused Random Timed Uworld questions I am getting approximately 65-70% correct. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of where this puts me at this point in time.

My overall average is 67%, however, the thing that is demoralizing about this is that on my NBME I got 80% correct which gave me a 217... On UWolrld I'm only getting 67% or so. Every single random 46 question set I have done has come out right smack in the 64 (low) to 71(high) range. I know NBME is easier than UWorld, so I just want to know others experiences who have scored in a range similar to this.

Thank you very much for any information you have.

Members don't see this ad.

stop worrying about your UWorld percentage ...it means absolutely nothing
stop doing timed blocks ...either do tutor mode or timed tutor mode. no wonder you're not learning from the questions. if you're using the questions as a way of quizzing yourself and not thoroughly reading the explanations and looking up things you don't understand then you're doing it wrong.

the practice NBMEs have more short/easy questions than the real thing and therefore you need to get more right to get the same score as you would in the real thing. they are pretty good predictors of your three digit score though you should be using them more to identify subjects you are weak in

stop worrying about your UWorld percentage ...it means absolutely nothing
stop doing timed blocks ...either do tutor mode or timed tutor mode. no wonder you're not learning from the questions. if you're using the questions as a way of quizzing yourself and not thoroughly reading the explanations and looking up things you don't understand then you're doing it wrong.

the practice NBMEs have more short/easy questions than the real thing and therefore you need to get more right to get the same score as you would in the real thing. they are pretty good predictors of your three digit score though you should be using them more to identify subjects you are weak in

I am learning from UWorld, however you can't say... learn physio by using UWolrd. What you can do, is miss questions in a certain area and say "ahh it seems as though I'm weaker in this area than in other areas."

And I can't agree either that UWorld % correct is not correlated to the quantity of information you know. As I've been studying, my practice blocks have been increasing in % as have my practice NBMEs. To say the UWorld % means "absolutely nothing" is absurd.

Edit: I read every single explanation after I take my practice blocks of 46, with special attention payed to the topics that I miss or happen to get right however didn't understand the topic fully.

hey je! I took NBME 6 this week and had 214.. my surprise is that I failed only 46 questions that puts my score well above my 71% average on uw (I did it once earlier this year, but I don't remember any question). the thing is, they say that your score is uw%*2.3+84 . mine would be 224, giving the 10% discount of being a second round and I got less in nbme. I hope real examination is slightly different otherwise to get an 230 one needs to have at least 85% of questions correct.. its a lot LOL

about the random blocks, I think we need some endurance training and the only way to get that by this time is doing 46 random timed blocks. I know that for learning is better to do tutor but we need endurance. I'll keep doing the random timed mode.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey je! I took NBME 6 this week and had 214.. my surprise is that I failed only 46 questions that puts my score well above my 71% average on uw (I did it once earlier this year, but I don't remember any question). the thing is, they say that your score is uw%*2.3+84 . mine would be 224, giving the 10% discount of being a second round and I got less in nbme. I hope real examination is slightly different otherwise to get an 230 one needs to have at least 85% of questions correct.. its a lot LOL

about the random blocks, I think we need some endurance training and the only way to get that by this time is doing 46 random timed blocks. I know that for learning is better to do tutor but we need endurance. I'll keep doing the random timed mode.

Yeah I've heard of that calculation. I think it only applies to random question sets, on first time through the questions. Also, I think that may over-state the real score. I've taken 3 NBME's now, and I find UW%*2.2+80 to be a more accurate prediction.

I'd like to hear what other people's random scores were and their Step I score following.

and the difference between a 230 and a 270 is only 10% questions correct? I can't believe that, it would be ridiculous... I hope NBMEs underpredict otherwise I'm screwed, no way I'll get 85% of the questions right I only had it once in one examination and it was 5 years ago to enter med school, a 75-80% I can do but 85% it's too much, I can't believe that for a 230 you'll need 85%.. someone please tell me that a 230 isn't 85% LOL

Yeah I've heard of that calculation. I think it only applies to random question sets, on first time through the questions. Also, I think that may over-state the real score. I've taken 3 NBME's now, and I find UW%*2.2+80 to be a more accurate prediction.

I'd like to hear what other people's random scores were and their Step I score following.

which nbmes did you take and how much did you get?

Also check out NBME 11 & 12.

I did NBME 6 very quickly with tons of time to spare. Then I did 12, I got a better score on 12, however the questions are MUCH more accurate length wise to the real deal. It took me much longer to complete NBME 12.

If you allow me to ask... what was your progression from nbme 6 to 12 in terms of score and studying time?

Edit: I read every single explanation after I take my practice blocks of 46, with special attention payed to the topics that I miss or happen to get right however didn't understand the topic fully.

I don't appreciate the tone of your response ...you asked for help and i gave u my advice as someone who took the test already and got a solid score. Even though much of what is being said in this thread is bordering on absurd i won't say much more because it is clear you would rather have a back-and-forth with someone equally neurotic who hasn't taken the test yet than get real advice. I just wanted to point out that reading the explanations immediately after doing the question is much better and more useful than reading all the explanations after doing a whole block.

If you allow me to ask... what was your progression from nbme 6 to 12 in terms of score and studying time?

I did very poorly on NBME 6, I got a 197. Then I studied for 3 weeks and got a 217 on NBME 12, which upon all accounts is more accurate to the question distribution of the current test because it contains more immuno.

I'll be taking my next one this week (2 weeks post NBME 12.) I'll keep you updated on how I do.

I don't appreciate the tone of your response ...you asked for help and i gave u my advice as someone who took the test already and got a solid score. Even though much of what is being said in this thread is bordering on absurd i won't say much more because it is clear you would rather have a back-and-forth with someone equally neurotic who hasn't taken the test yet than get real advice. I just wanted to point out that reading the explanations immediately after doing the question is much better and more useful than reading all the explanations after doing a whole block.

Listen. Go check your ego. You're advice consisted of "the percent right you get on UWorld has nothing to do with your actual score..." I agree with the rest of what you had to say, and simply didn't agree with that statement.

Give me a break. So someone who is getting 75% on random uworld is set to get the same score as someone who is getting 50% on random? I would have to think not. Perhaps you could elaborate on your rationale.

Listen. Go check your ego. You're advice consisted of "the percent right you get on UWorld has nothing to do with your actual score..." I agree with the rest of what you had to say, and simply didn't agree with that statement.

Give me a break. So someone who is getting 75% on random uworld is set to get the same score as someone who is getting 50% on random? I would have to think not. Perhaps you could elaborate on your rationale.

nah...i don't really care to convince u of anything. just continue to worry about which equation to use to predict your step 1 score from your uworld percentage. have u tried a quadratic equation?

thanks, I was looking for my diagnostic :) now I can tell my therapist that some online genious made it up for him!

je: nice 20 point improvement! I will take 7 this week, did you hear about this being difficult?

Members don't see this ad :)
nah...i don't really care to convince u of anything. just continue to worry about which equation to use to predict your step 1 score from your uworld percentage. have u tried a quadratic equation?

Have you tried getting a life and not scouring the forums of a test you've already taken?

People like you crack me up... you're all real tough when you're behind a computer.

thanks, I was looking for my diagnostic :) now I can tell my therapist that some online genious made it up for him!

je: nice 20 point improvement! I will take 7 this week, did you hear about this being difficult?

My girlfriend just took it... Likewise she did poor on NBME 6 then she decided to take 7 rather than 12. She also got a 219 or something like that, with a 20 point improvement over 12 weeks.

I basically just use these NBMEs to try and find my weaknesses. Unfortunately my low spots were CLEAR on NBME 6. I touched up endocrine and repro. However, when I took 12, I didn't have a particular weakness. It was 4 or 5 strengths and then a lot of average after that.

Have you tried getting a life and not scouring the forums of a test you've already taken?

People like you crack me up... you're all real tough when you're behind a computer.

you're right...this forum would be so much better if all those silly people who took the test and did well would just go away and stop trying to help out. we all know that people who haven't taken the test are the best resource

you're right...this forum would be so much better if all those silly people who took the test and did well would just go away and stop trying to help out. we all know that people who haven't taken the test are the best resource

Alright man. I'm not going to fight with you. All I am saying is (back to my original point) I think UWorld can be used to identify weaknesses, learn the material, and develop an idea of how well you are doing / identify overall improvement via score trends.

There is certainly a significant correlation between Uworld performance and test performance, although how strong that correlation is or what's its best-fit regression is anyone's guess.

While you should use Uworld as a learning tool first and foremost (and use the UWSA's / NBME's to more accurately gauge your level), keep in mind that if you're consistently getting more questions wrong than right, your pre-test probability of hitting that high 250+ mark is significantly lower than someone who finished his question bank the first time with 75% correct or higher.

There is certainly a significant correlation between Uworld performance and test performance, although how strong that correlation is or what's its best-fit regression is anyone's guess.

While you should use Uworld as a learning tool first and foremost (and use the UWSA's / NBME's to more accurately gauge your level), keep in mind that if you're consistently getting more questions wrong than right, your pre-test probability of hitting that high 250+ mark is significantly lower than someone who finished his question bank the first time with 75% correct or higher.

Yeah, exactly. I am sure it's not an exact science. Right now I am doing my first run through (150 questions per day) on totally random and unused. Then reading every explanation. I'm currently hitting 68% through about 700 questions. I think that puts me around 225 or so... We'll see though after my practice exam this week.

Yeah, exactly. I am sure it's not an exact science. Right now I am doing my first run through (150 questions per day) on totally random and unused. Then reading every explanation. I'm currently hitting 68% through about 700 questions. I think that puts me around 225 or so... We'll see though after my practice exam this week.

150 questions a day PLUS explanations?? How exactly are you going about doing that?

I find that 2 blocks (46+46) and then their explanations are max i can manage in a day. Its exhausting!

When you read explanations do you just read the explanation of the answers or of ALL the options? and do you make notes?

my day is 46 random timed block and explanations w/ annotations and 40 pages of FA memorizing. this takes me around 10 hours LOL 150 questions a day only if I had ritalin

my day is 46 random timed block and explanations w/ annotations and 40 pages of FA memorizing. this takes me around 10 hours LOL 150 questions a day only if I had ritalin

thank God im not the only human out there. btw jfgavina, your exam is in november right? when dyu finish UW tentatively? and what's your plan after you're done with it?

yes I have in 7th november!

1. I am supposed to start classes tomorrow, but will talk with my teachers to get a 3 week dismiss..
2. I finished UW in may, this is my second round. I have 73% on the way
3. now I'm memorizing FA and doing about 46 questions a day. when I finish memorizing FA, I'll be done with it in one week I start to do 2 blocks a day and review my DIT notes.
4. in the last two weeks I'll read uw notes and fa again

when do you have yours? what's your plan?

150 questions a day PLUS explanations?? How exactly are you going about doing that?

I find that 2 blocks (46+46) and then their explanations are max i can manage in a day. Its exhausting!

When you read explanations do you just read the explanation of the answers or of ALL the options? and do you make notes?

Well to be honesty... I have pure terror driving me as a motivation. I am currently doing 12 hour study days. I read every word of each explanation... and I use first aid for the questions I miss.

Right now I think I am on the brink of beating that 230 mark, so I am simply paying tons of attention to the topics I am weak in.

For instance I am quickly finding I am weak in micro pharm. So today I am spending all day watching the micro videos and micro pharm kaplan videos on double speed. I'll do this all day, and then tonight at around 9pm or so I'll do UWorld question until I go to sleep at around 1am. It's a brutal schedule, but my test is in 34 days and I'd rather go nuts right now than have regrets later in life.

Well to be honesty... I have pure terror driving me as a motivation. I am currently doing 12 hour study days. I read every word of each explanation... and I use first aid for the questions I miss.

Right now I think I am on the brink of beating that 230 mark, so I am simply paying tons of attention to the topics I am weak in.

For instance I am quickly finding I am weak in micro pharm. So today I am spending all day watching the micro videos and micro pharm kaplan videos on double speed. I'll do this all day, and then tonight at around 9pm or so I'll do UWorld question until I go to sleep at around 1am. It's a brutal schedule, but my test is in 34 days and I'd rather go nuts right now than have regrets later in life.

Respect. Goodluck with that. Im weak in micro and pharm myself but i've kept all the re-revising for until AFTER im done with uw now.

yes I have in 7th november!

1. I am supposed to start classes tomorrow, but will talk with my teachers to get a 3 week dismiss..
2. I finished UW in may, this is my second round. I have 73% on the way
3. now I'm memorizing FA and doing about 46 questions a day. when I finish memorizing FA, I'll be done with it in one week I start to do 2 blocks a day and review my DIT notes.
4. in the last two weeks I'll read uw notes and fa again

when do you have yours? what's your plan?

mine's on 27th October - which incidentally is the last date of the last month of my time slot :D so its now or never.

So tentatively,
1. I finish first pass of UW tomorrow, maximum day after.
2. I start off with reading FA again cos my UW average is coming to around 63 because I sucked hard at all tiny recall questions like drug moa's and bug properties etc
3. I've given FA and reviewing my UW notes 15 days which will take me to around 19th,20th October - leaving me a solid week before the test
4. I'll give a UWSA and an NBME here and either feel like im on Amphetamines or Opioids. And will thus proceed to take the aforementioned as per need:p

mine's on 27th October - which incidentally is the last date of the last month of my time slot :D so its now or never.

So tentatively,
2. I start off with reading FA again cos my UW average is coming to around 63 because I sucked hard at all tiny recall questions like drug moa's and bug properties etc
3. I've given FA and reviewing my UW notes 15 days which will take me to around 19th,20th October - leaving me a solid week before the test
4. I'll give a UWSA and an NBME here and either feel like im on Amphetamines or Opioids. And will thus proceed to take the aforementioned as per need:p

Phewww good luck Raza. Just remember it's one month of your life. Give it everything you've got.

So tentatively,

LOL MQRaza!

you are with pretty solid scores in UW for someone who didn't hit FA hard. You'll improve so much if you actively read FA, that's what I'm doing now and feel a lot more confident! Don't give up on doing questions, do as much nbmes and uwsa as you can because you're still ahead of your examination and you need pratice!

I don't know anfs neither opium, but I live in the most liberal country in the world in what concerns to drugs (yeah, even more than in the netherlands), so I can give you my best advice:

on 27th by night do yourself and your friends a favor, grab some mdma and feel the love :)

LOL MQRaza!

you are with pretty solid scores in UW for someone who didn't hit FA hard. You'll improve so much if you actively read FA, that's what I'm doing now and feel a lot more confident! Don't give up on doing questions, do as much nbmes and uwsa as you can because you're still ahead of your examination and you need pratice!

I don't know anfs neither opium, but I live in the most liberal country in the world in what concerns to drugs (yeah, even more than in the netherlands), so I can give you my best advice:

on 27th by night do yourself and your friends a favor, grab some mdma and feel the love :)

Seriously, you just boosted my spirits by saying im getting a decent UW score after not hitting FA hard (cos i DID mention i gave two quick reads right? and then promptly forgot a whole bunch of stuff:p)
People around me who did similar reads live in the world of 70's and 80's so you can imagine how under-doggish i feel. but i got time! i'll make up for whatevers lacking and then whatever has to be will happen:xf:

PS: mdma it is :D