UWSMPH or CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnguyen0329

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am having a hard time choosing between 2 medical schools and I need some advice before I make a decision. Can somebody give me some pros on cons each school?

1. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
2. University of Colorado School of Medicine

And if you’re a Med student, can you give me some insight on your school and what factors helped you decide?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are OOS for both absolutely go to UWSMPH. Colorado is ridiculously expensive for OOS students and UWSMPH is probably the more prestigious of the two.

CU is undergoing curriculum change this year. For reference, they will be switching from a traditional 2 year preclinical curriculum, to a 1 year preclinical curriculum starting with the class of 2025. The Class of 2024 will have a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum. This all means there will be overlap at both ends of the class of 2024's training with other classes. Further, the preclinical curriculum structure will be some sort of amalgam of new and old, and there are probably going to be some issues with being the class that is between the two curriculums. Also, half of the class will be doing LIC model 3rd years, and the other half will be doing traditional clerkships. That being said I think the clinical opportunities at CU trump UW, and given the upcoming changes to step1, I would advise attending the school that you wouldn't mind staying at for residency if money is no object.

They're roughly equal in prestige so I wouldn't worry too much about that honestly. The research apparatus is immense at both. Cost could be a big factor. For OOS students, CU is about as expensive as a school like Case Western or Tulane. Which to be fair is among the most expensive MD schools, but alas.

Denver/the front range is an extremely different place than Madison. CU has a ton of affiliate clinical partners. If you want to go into anything peds, Colorado is extremely strong. COL (rent especially) is high in Denver.

Decide how big a deal money is to you, and then heavily consider what sort of career you want and WHERE you want to live after med school, and pick between these two based on that. Probably can't really go wrong with either here.

Reactions: 2 users