VA job rating out of fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroLady

Gero Neuro Nerd
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For VA jobs out of fellowship, is it unheard of to start at GS12 step 2 or 3+?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have only heard of people being able to negotiate step for very hard to fill positions. Like Montana. Outside of those circumstances, get ready to get shot down by HR. Best most can hope for in the VA is relo money.

For VA jobs out of fellowship, is it unheard of to start at GS12 step 2 or 3+?

Thanks!

Ask for the relo package, which is really more of a sign-on bonus than anything. It will give you more than a step-bump would, and you wont have to go through the peer review committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above--step increases are difficult to negotiate without past (non-training) experience. But definitely try to negotiate for what relocation and other hiring benefits you can (e.g., EDRP if you have loans). Also, in the event you end up taking the job, give some thought to how you'd like to setup your clinic grid/schedule. You may not necessarily have much say, depending on supervisors and clinic needs, but it's much easier to set things up how you'd like on the front end than to go back later and make changes once you've started seeing patients.

In non-VA jobs, the latter part would be something you'd want to negotiate ahead of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, in the event you end up taking the job, give some thought to how you'd like to setup your clinic grid/schedule.

In non-VA jobs, the latter part would be something you'd want to negotiate ahead of time.

The VA is one of the most "stuck in there ways" places I've ever experienced. For neuro, I'm sure you can have a say in what days you do evals vs have report writing days? But I would bet the productivity target in not very negotiable.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that this happens very often. The VA is one of the most stuck in there ways places I've ever experienced.

Our newer providers have been able to adjust their grids a bit when coming in. But the system's reqs leave a bit to be desired RE: overall flexibility.