VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be discussed in another thread somewhere but couldn't find it. Do they give any kind of step increase for getting board certified in something? I am seeing people (non-NP's) doing ABPP's and I'm wondering if I'm missing something?
As others have said, it varies by VA, largely because the decision on whether or not to approve is (in my understanding) up to facility leadership. So even if you meet criteria for a QSI, they may still deny.

Members don't see this ad.

I just scheduled a physical for starting internship. What all takes place? I was told bloodwork and I’m wondering how much or what else they do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just scheduled a physical for starting internship. What all takes place? I was told bloodwork and I’m wondering how much or what else they do?
Bloodwork to check immunization titers, urine test to screen for illicit substances (some facilities do, some don't - you should have received forms to sign in advance if this is required) and a very brief physical (bend down and touch your toes and asking if you have problems lifting light objects kind of thing).

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a couple physicals and they were very different from each other. Blood work (bring your immunization records to potentially cut down on this), maybe a urine drug screen, varying degrees of actual physical stuff (check mobility, vision, hearing). In general I've found the employee health staff very kind.

Hi everyone,

I started job hunting early this year and accepted a tentative offer for a GS-12 position. Currently, I am in the on-boarding process and HR told me that they won't be able to issue a firm offer until the clearance of my background check.

Meanwhile, my questions are:

Is it appropriate for me to reach out to the Chief Psychologist, who hired me, and let them know that I am looking forward to my start day? Our last contact was my interview. During the interview, we left it flexible for a tentative start day for early August, ideally 08/02/2021.
If it is appropriate when would be a good time? Like two to three weeks before 08/02/2021?
The offer letter stated that is a GS-12 position, but it doesn't state what step. My best guess is that it is step 1. I have 5 years of work experience prior to grad school that is relevant to the job. I wonder if it is negotiable at this point that I could start with a higher step than 1. I know it is something that I should have discussed during the interview, but it just occurred to me now. I don't want to come across as high maintenance or unreasonable. They agreed to hold the vacant position for all this time for me to complete my postdoc training, and I feel very badly about it.

Any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Hi everyone,

I started job hunting early this year and accepted a tentative offer for a GS-12 position. Currently, I am in the on-boarding process and HR told me that they won't be able to issue a firm offer until the clearance of my background check.

Meanwhile, my questions are:

Is it appropriate for me to reach out to the Chief Psychologist, who hired me, and let them know that I am looking forward to my start day? Our last contact was my interview. During the interview, we left it flexible for a tentative start day for early August, ideally 08/02/2021.
If it is appropriate when would be a good time? Like two to three weeks before 08/02/2021?
The offer letter stated that is a GS-12 position, but it doesn't state what step. My best guess is that it is step 1. I have 5 years of work experience prior to grad school that is relevant to the job. I wonder if it is negotiable at this point that I could start with a higher step than 1. I know it is something that I should have discussed during the interview, but it just occurred to me now. I don't want to come across as high maintenance or unreasonable. They agreed to hold the vacant position for all this time for me to complete my postdoc training, and I feel very badly about it.

Any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
I think you should reach out like you’re planning, 2-3 weeks ahead.
I highly doubt any experience prior to grad school would count as it isn’t at your professional level but you can always try. But I don’t understand why a position after post doc is a 12? I’ve been out of the VA a bit but aren’t fully licensed positions usually 13s?

Attachments

• 1625014632572.png
    1625014632572.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 1 users
I think you should reach out like you’re planning, 2-3 weeks ahead.
I highly doubt any experience prior to grad school would count as it isn’t at your professional level but you can always try. But I don’t understand why a position after post doc is a 12? I’ve been out of the VA a bit but aren’t fully licensed positions usually 13s?
Thank you, Psycycle! I am not licensed yet. I just passed the EPPP yesterday and I will submit the last required document for my application, Verification of Supervised Experience when I complete my postdoc next month. I thought that I will be eligible for GS-13 a year after being licensed, but I will look into it to make sure. :)

During the interview, we left it flexible for a tentative start day for early August, ideally 08/02/2021.
If you want a specific start date, I would contact your chief now to clarify that date since your ultimate start date will depend on when HR processes you and the chief would be the person to communicate that to HR and who might be able to speed up processing or help maintain that course.
I have 5 years of work experience prior to grad school that is relevant to the job. I wonder if it is negotiable at this point that I could start with a higher step than 1.
I'm only a few years into my VA career but the people that I know who did not start at step 1 were mid-career professionals newly entering the VA.
I thought that I will be eligible for GS-13 a year after being licensed, but I will look into it to make sure.
Yep, I started as a GS-12 after postdoc and was licensed and credentialed within a few months of starting. Make sure you remind your chief during the summer of 2022 to process your GS-13 promotion to ensure that you can get that promoted as close to 1 year from your start date (mine missed like 1 or 2 pay cycles IIRC due to admin processes).

If you want a specific start date, I would contact your chief now to clarify that date since your ultimate start date will depend on when HR processes you and the chief would be the person to communicate that to HR and who might be able to speed up processing or help maintain that course.

I'm only a few years into my VA career but the people that I know who did not start at step 1 were mid-career professionals newly entering the VA.

Yep, I started as a GS-12 after postdoc and was licensed and credentialed within a few months of starting. Make sure you remind your chief during the summer of 2022 to process your GS-13 promotion to ensure that you can get that promoted as close to 1 year from your start date (mine missed like 1 or 2 pay cycles IIRC due to admin processes).
Thank you for the clarification and for sharing your experience, summerbabe! Too bad about the delayed pay increase. 1-2 pay cycles are very significant for GS-13 promotion. I will be reaching out to the chief to clarify the start date, and I will stay on top of the level change next year around this time.

Last edited:
Yes, it's generally the case that you'll go from 12 to 13 with a year of experience. I'm actually a bit surprised HR were willing to hire you as a 12 before you're licensed, even though it sounds like you will be before starting your position. You'd think doing so would make sense, but sometimes HR can be...difficult in their rigidity.

And experience prior to grad school won't count toward your step; they only count experiences directly related to, and at the level of, your current position (i.e., as a psychologist).

Yes, it's generally the case that you'll go from 12 to 13 with a year of experience. I'm actually a bit surprised HR were willing to hire you as a 12 before you're licensed, even though it sounds like you will be before starting your position. You'd think doing so would make sense, but sometimes HR can be...difficult in their rigidity.

And experience prior to grad school won't count toward your step; they only count experiences directly related to, and at the level of, your current position (i.e., as a psychologist).
Thank you, AcronymAllergy! It is a hard-to-fill position that was vacant for a while. So maybe that is why HR was more willing to be flexible. It makes sense that only directly related experience is counted. I am glad that I asked here and able to receive clarification. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually a bit surprised HR were willing to hire you as a 12 before you're licensed, even though it sounds like you will be before starting your position.
I did a VA postdoc and then got hired into a GS-12 and know of others who followed a similar path so I don’t think there’s any issues getting HR to recognize that 1 additional year of experience beyond the GS-11 level in this scenario.

A student of mine interviewed at a VA she is very interested in three weeks ago. She has not heard back and is getting very anxious. She sent a thank you email and received a general response; but a timeframe was not mentioned. At my current position it took over a month between my interview and offer. However, I was offered another position (at another. VA) that I interviewed for a week after I interviewed. How long did you wait between interview and offer?

A student of mine interviewed at a VA she is very interested in three weeks ago. She has not heard back and is getting very anxious. She sent a thank you email and received a general response; but a timeframe was not mentioned. At my current position it took over a month between my interview and offer. However, I was offered another position (at another. VA) that I interviewed for a week after I interviewed. How long did you wait between interview and offer?
My experience has been similar to yours. My current position was offered to me very quickly after my interviews (I think a week or less), while other positions took a few weeks or a month to get back to me with updates. There's so much variability across sites that it's almost impossible to say what would be "normal."

Reactions: 2 users
A student of mine interviewed at a VA she is very interested in three weeks ago.
Did they ask for references and follow-up? I think some departments do their own checks while others leave it to HR or bypass it all-together (terrible ideas IMO).

I recently moved to a different VA and applied broadly before taking this position. The ones where I felt like I was a serious candidate all asked for references shortly after the interview or at the end of the interview and reached out to those people. I think it took about 1.5 weeks for my current job to reference check and I had an verbal offer within maybe 2.5 weeks of the interview.

If they didn’t ask for references, it’s possible that your student may not have made the final post-interview cut, unfortunately. Also quite possible that they are just behind, especially if it’s a continuous opening BHIP type posting.

Agree with the above - having references be asked for is a clear indication that you're a front runner. And having your references actually be called is a very good indication that you're probably going to be offered the position.

Reactions: 4 users
Did they ask for references and follow-up? I think some departments do their own checks while others leave it to HR or bypass it all-together (terrible ideas IMO).

I recently moved to a different VA and applied broadly before taking this position. The ones where I felt like I was a serious candidate all asked for references shortly after the interview or at the end of the interview and reached out to those people. I think it took about 1.5 weeks for my current job to reference check and I had an verbal offer within maybe 2.5 weeks of the interview.

If they didn’t ask for references, it’s possible that your student may not have made the final post-interview cut, unfortunately. Also quite possible that they are just behind, especially if it’s a continuous opening BHIP type posting.

hmm... good question. I think she probably just listed them when she applied on usajobs. No one has contacted me yet, but I also have other students who were offered jobs at the VA and started without me ever hearing from them about a reference.

No one has contacted me yet, but I also have other students who were offered jobs at the VA and started without me ever hearing from them about a reference.
I know of VAs that don’t reference check and those places tended to have either major MH access problems leading to high provider burnout or had poor MH management which would lead to greater than necessary turnover so in both scenarios, they are often happy to take anybody who can pass the background check and show up to NEO.

Not sure if you have contacts at the facility where your student applied but a current or recent staff member might have some insight into their specific hiring processes and whether this response is normal or if your student is likely not being recommended to HR for an offer.

Reactions: 3 users
I know of VAs that don’t reference check and those places tended to have either major MH access problems leading to high provider burnout or had poor MH management which would lead to greater than necessary turnover so in both scenarios, they are often happy to take anybody who can pass the background check and show up to NEO.

Not sure if you have contacts at the facility where your student applied but a current or recent staff member might have some insight into their specific hiring processes and whether this response is normal or if your student is likely not being recommended to HR for an offer.
I know one psychologist who retired from there. Maybe I will reach out. My student had two interviews and they said they were impressed with her during both the first and second interview. She is a perfect candidate for that position imo so I am hoping for a positive outcome. There was another VA job that she wanted but they took an internal candidate. She is feeling pretty bad.

Reactions: 2 users
She is a perfect candidate for that position imo so I am hoping for a positive outcome.
Hope there’s a good outcome! One other thing I can think of that could be impacting an otherwise positive interview is whether or not that facility has a supervisory psychologist who is willing to supervise and sign off on every note until your student is licensed and credentialed.

Sucks but if there are two relatively equal candidates, some places might prefer the one who is already independently licensed since it’s less work for current staff, especially if they have too much on their plate or want to maintain their workflow status quo.

I'm a new member to this forum and thought I would ask the group:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of leaving a Vet Center to go into a PCMHI position?

Hi everyone. I’m soon to start internship at a va. Anyone have thoughts on doing a post doc? Vs applying for a job immediately?

Hi everyone. I’m soon to start internship at a va. Anyone have thoughts on doing a post doc? Vs applying for a job immediately?
absolutely! Postdoc is not required in some states. It is a choice depending upon your readiness for independent practice. If you are in a VA system, you have so much support and great access to resources. You will be in good hands :)

If there's any chance you'll be thinking of moving in a 5ish year time span, a postdoc is a good idea. It will make gaining licensure in different states much easier. If you're deadset on a VA and only VA career, which I would strongly consider against as almost everyone I trained with has eventually left the VA, then you'll be ok with any license.

If there's any chance you'll be thinking of moving in a 5ish year time span, a postdoc is a good idea. It will make gaining licensure in different states much easier. If you're deadset on a VA and only VA career, which I would strongly consider against as almost everyone I trained with has eventually left the VA, then you'll be ok with any license.

My opinion is that it really depends on your area of practice and interest in moving. If you are living in state that does not require a post-doc for license and happy living there/settled, chances are higher that you are okay without a post-doc. Similarly, if you are interested in outpatient mental health, it is less necessary than neuropsych, rehab psych, health psych etc. If you can get a documented supervision agreement knocked out in a job position, then it will also help if you do need to move to another state.

I'm a new member to this forum and thought I would ask the group:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of leaving a Vet Center to go into a PCMHI position?
Agreed with the above post that it probably varies pretty significantly by area. I'm also not familiar with Vet Center positions in terms of pay and other benefits, day-to-day headaches, etc. As far as salaried positions go, VA typically tends to be one of the better offers out there, at least early career. They're also pretty open about doing extra non-VA work (e.g., essentially no non-compete). And they seem to have a lot of masters-level providers in mid-management positions, if that fits with you.

Not too familiar with Vet Centers besides the basics but here are some possible differences that pop to mind:

- Working in an interdisciplinary hospital setting versus community therapy setting
- More ability to change roles at the VA through lateral clinical moves into different departments
- More opportunities for hospital administrative work (e.g., committees, local EBP coordinator, program manager, etc), attending EBP rollouts, being involved in training, and possible support for conferences/research
- Increased likelihood for micromanagement (don't know how Vet Centers operate or measure productivity but lots of RVU, clinic utilization, encounters, and SOP talk at the VA)

Anyone have thoughts on doing a post doc? Vs applying for a job immediately?
Unless you for sure you don't need/want a postdoc, I'd look at both. Postdoc apps start in late fall/winter with offers usually going out early spring, which leaves plenty of time to still consider job options.

I did a VA internship and VA postdoc and now work at the VA. One benefit I've experienced is that training experiences I gained on postdoc have been viewed more positively than internship training and I think have helped me in landing my 2 VA full-time positions but YMMV.

Also, if you don't know 100% where you want to live or what exactly you want to do, postdoc can give more clarity to those early career decisions, especially if it's a postdoc with many training experiences.

My opinion is that it really depends on your area of practice and interest in moving. If you are living in state that does not require a post-doc for license and happy living there/settled, chances are higher that you are okay without a post-doc. Similarly, if you are interested in outpatient mental health, it is less necessary than neuropsych, rehab psych, health psych etc. If you can get a documented supervision agreement knocked out in a job position, then it will also help if you do need to move to another state.
Re: bolded part, doesn’t the VA have some “graduate psychologist” positions that are essentially regular staff jobs with supervision built in? I’m not clear on specifics but I’ve heard it mentioned as an alternative to post doc. Main benefit being earning a full salary sooner.

Re: bolded part, doesn’t the VA have some “graduate psychologist” positions that are essentially regular staff jobs with supervision built in? I’m not clear on specifics but I’ve heard it mentioned as an alternative to post doc. Main benefit being earning a full salary sooner.
Yes, VA commonly hires psychologists who aren't yet licensed and sets them up with supervision as they work toward licensure. They do it in my VA all the time. There's usually a specified time frame to licensure, after which you may lose your position if not licensed.

I honestly don't know if the position is named or classified differently from a licensed psychologist, other than typically being at a lower grade.

Yes, VA commonly hires psychologists who aren't yet licensed and sets them up with supervision as they work toward licensure. They do it in my VA all the time. There's usually a specified time frame to licensure, after which you may lose your position if not licensed.

I honestly don't know if the position is named or classified differently from a licensed psychologist, other than typically being at a lower grade.

They do. This is typically for those positions in the GS11/12 range for unlicensed folks. However, even if you qualify to be licensed in a state without a postdoc, it might be worth discussing whether documents supervision might be available for one year so that you could qualify for additional licensure in other states.

They do, but it depends on the position. If it's an easier to fill position, some places will not offer this position in most circumstances. Pulls someone off clinic duty somewhere to something that does not count for any type of productivity that is tracked.

If it's an easier to fill position, some places will not offer this position in most circumstances. Pulls someone off clinic duty somewhere to something that does not count for any type of productivity that is tracked.
Yup. On internship at a high turnover VA, there were 4 BHIP grad psychologists who met with one of the supervisory PhDs for an hour a week as a group to fulfill the required supervision component but that's at least 80+ extra notes to review and sign weekly. But that can be harder to swing for a single grad psychologist position, especially if they can find a licensed psychologist to fill that position.
There's usually a specified time frame to licensure, after which you may lose your position if not licensed.
I think it's 2 years. There should also be an automatic promotion from GS11 to GS12 after 1 year.

Yup. On internship at a high turnover VA, there were 4 BHIP grad psychologists who met with one of the supervisory PhDs for an hour a week as a group to fulfill the required supervision component but that's at least 80+ extra notes to review and sign weekly. But that can be harder to swing for a single grad psychologist position, especially if they can find a licensed psychologist to fill that position.

I think it's 2 years. There should also be an automatic promotion from GS11 to GS12 after 1 year.

Yeah, we didn't accept unlicensed applicants at my old VA. But we were also in a desirable metro and would get several dozen applications for each position we offered most of the time.

Not too familiar with Vet Centers besides the basics but here are some possible differences that pop to mind:

- Working in an interdisciplinary hospital setting versus community therapy setting
- More ability to change roles at the VA through lateral clinical moves into different departments
- More opportunities for hospital administrative work (e.g., committees, local EBP coordinator, program manager, etc), attending EBP rollouts, being involved in training, and possible support for conferences/research
- Increased likelihood for micromanagement (don't know how Vet Centers operate or measure productivity but lots of RVU, clinic utilization, encounters, and SOP talk at the VA)
I appreciate the insight. I am looking to transition out of a Vet Center due to multiple reasons and have accepted a tentative offer for a PCMHI position at a CBOC. Vet Centers can be great places to work if you enjoy long-term psychotherapy and couples/family counseling. I’m an entry level clinician, and although I’m still looking for where I fit best clinically, after being at Vet Center for over 1 year I know that couples/family counseling is not my jam. There are productivity pressures at Vet Centers as well, although it is measured differently than at VA.

Yes
Also while it can suck to sign a million notes if you supervise someone pre-licensure, don't you get their RVUs?
For trainees, you receive credit for their RVUs. For pre-licensure psychologists, I don't know, but I don't think so. You should get your clinical expectations adjusted to allow time for supervision, though (e.g., if you're expected to have 30 hours of bookable/patient care activity per week and you're providing 2 hours of supervision, you should then be expected to have 28 bookable hours).

It is 2 years. I know someone who cut it pretty close ;)

Also, on the question of post doc: I don't think it's NECESSARY, but I know that mine really made me feel ready to actually be an independent practicing psychologist. It also gave me some excellent training in the specialty area I wanted that helped me be competitive for the jobs I wanted.

Kudos to someone on this board who worried that Whole Health would be a way to offer garbage interventions and make them look VA sanctioned. Your foresight is impressive.

Literally received an email advertising "Emotional Freedom Techniques" for employees. And hypnotism trainings. UGH.

• Angry
  • Wow
Kudos to someone on this board who worried that Whole Health would be a way to offer garbage interventions and make them look VA sanctioned. Your foresight is impressive.

Literally received an email advertising "Emotional Freedom Techniques" for employees. And hypnotism trainings. UGH.
You'll probably start getting the emails for Healing Touch and Reiki soon.

• Haha
This is a silly question because I really should know the answer by now; I am about to complete my postdoc in less than a month.
For a trainee, is there a way to close a consult in CPRS before the co-signing supervisor signs the consult note?
Administratively, the only action available to me is the Add Comment option under Consult Tracking. I am not authorized to place or discontinue a consult or use other fancy functions.
There was some confusion that occurred about a consult stayed open after the consult note had been completed. The consult appeared to be open because the note was missing the co-sign's signature. I want to avoid this happening again although I only got few weeks left at the current site. I also would like to be more educated about these things to be better prepared if I will have supervisory responsibilities in the near future. I remember during my internship, one of my peers called IT department to get authorization for placing consults in CPRS without checking with the supervisor first and ended up getting her in big trouble. We were not authorized to place consults for reasons that still remain mysterious to me.
Any insight will be gratefully appreciated. Hoping to ask my supervisor intelligent questions next week during supervision to clarify. Thank you!

Last edited:
Seems a lot of folks posting here are not distinguishing between formal postdocs/fellowships and the potential of acquiring a VA staff position that could provide postdoc hours (aka graduate psychologist, GS-11). Many of these jobs will give you the two hours a week of supervision if you ask/negotiate and you can then get licensed anywhere.

For a trainee, is there a way to close a consult in CPRS before the co-signing supervisor signs the consult note?
I don't think so. As your friend found out, IT (or a system CAC) has to specifically authorize consult actions. For example, I am on a specialty team and only my direct supervisor and one of my colleagues (as the backup) has the ability to accept or discontinue incoming consults.
There was some confusion that occurred about a consult stayed open after the consult note had been completed.
Only people who are authorized by IT/the CAC can close a consult by submitting an appropriate note. In the case of an intake, when you select your note title, there's a small part in the bottom that allows you to link to the consult. If that prompt doesn't show up, you haven't been authorized. Even if you complete the clinical work and document appropriately, somebody with consult admin access will have to go in and manually 'link' the note, visit, and consult and then administratively close it.

Or if somebody does have that access but forgets to click the appropriate linking actions, the consult won't close.

Seems a lot of folks posting here are not distinguishing between formal postdocs/fellowships and the potential of acquiring a VA staff position that could provide postdoc hours (aka graduate psychologist, GS-11). Many of these jobs will give you the two hours a week of supervision if you ask/negotiate and you can then get licensed anywhere.

Some will provide graduate psychologist positions, but many, especially the desirable metros, will pretty much only look at fully licensed individuals. In my tenure at one such place, we only offered the graduate psychologist position to someone in a partial research role, for all clinician roles, they only considered full licensure. Harder to fill positions will probably have much better luck with this. Also, if you go that route, make sure that you are good with documenting hours and supervision hours, as you'll have to jump through extra hoops for some state licenses.