VA Mental Health Provider Venting / Problem-solving / Peer Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in a less geographically desirable area and we hire psychologists who aren't yet licensed all of the time. So it just depends.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen GS-11 jobs happen in geographically desirable locations. However, it is usually only when the person is an intern there and one of the staff is willing to supervise them due to a good relationship.

I have seen GS-11 jobs happen in geographically desirable locations. However, it is usually only when the person is an intern there and one of the staff is willing to supervise them due to a good relationship.

Likewise, this is the situation in which I've seen this at another location I was at in training.

Members don't see this ad :)
In following up with HR, I found out today that drug test was not included in my physical exam as a part of the onboarding process for the new position (G-12 Staff Psychologist) that I am transferring to (out-of-state). The earliest I am able to get it done is tomorrow morning and the HR will have the result on Monday. However, this means a firm offer won't be issued until the clearance of the drug test and my start date is pushed to the next payroll period. My last day at the current site is this Friday. My original state date was set for Monday 08/02/2021. The HR person told me that due to the delay, I will have a break between in service, and that will impact me in many ways badly regarding benefits, level changes... One of the creative suggestions she made was to ask the current site to keep me (currently a postdoc) and allow me to take an unpaid leave for two weeks to avoid a break between in service.
Anyone had or heard of similar situation before? What kind of negative impact that I will have to deal with down the road due to this delay? BTW, I have my own health insurance and a fairly healthy person. So health benefit-related concern is not an issue at this moment. I am more worried about sick time transfer and other things that I am not aware of. Any insight is gratefully appreciated. Thank you all!

Last edited:
I am more worried about sick time transfer and other things that I am not aware of.
Your sick time should remain. Somebody once told me they came back from a decade away and was able to re-instate their old sick leave. Just in case, print/save a PDF copy of your last leave balance statement from VATAS and you can submit to your new HR if needed.

Annual is supposed to get paid out at in a lump sum at some type of hourly rate below your current rate with a break in service but can transfer in full without a break.
What kind of negative impact that I will have to deal with down the road due to this delay?
I don't think there should be any long-term problems since postdoc doesn't count towards years of service or vesting and you'll have a chance to re-enroll in healthcare, life insurance, etc. The biggest issue for you might be missing a paycheck for at least 1 pay period or more depending on processing. I had a break between postdoc and a staff job as a preference and didn't have any problems.

I think breaks in service matter later on in your VA career. For example, I now get 6 hours of annual per pay period and I think if I had a break, I might drop back down to 4 (but not sure). I think a few other things might also reset.

Reactions: 1 users
Your sick time should remain. Somebody once told me they came back from a decade away and was able to re-instate their old sick leave. Just in case, print/save a PDF copy of your last leave balance statement from VATAS and you can submit to your new HR if needed.

Annual is supposed to get paid out at in a lump sum at some type of hourly rate below your current rate with a break in service but can transfer in full without a break.

I don't think there should be any long-term problems since postdoc doesn't count towards years of service or vesting and you'll have a chance to re-enroll in healthcare, life insurance, etc. The biggest issue for you might be missing a paycheck for at least 1 pay period or more depending on processing. I had a break between postdoc and a staff job as a preference and didn't have any problems.

I think breaks in service matter later on in your VA career. For example, I now get 6 hours of annual per pay period and I think if I had a break, I might drop back down to 4 (but not sure). I think a few other things might also reset.

AL should pay out at the pay rate that you were at when the break occurred, unless there's been a change in recent years.

That makes a lot of sense. I am ok with taking an unexpected break and missing a paycheck or two. Really glad that it is not a break in between service for a staff job to a staff job transfer. Any reset sounds upsetting. Thank you, summerbabe!

VA personnel policies are obviously convoluted, so take everything I say with a grain of salt (I haven't done much fact-checking at this point).

As has been said, a break in service would mean your annual leave is paid out at what should be your regular hourly rate. Sick leave isn't paid out but is available for reinstatement when you return to service. It sounds like leave accumulation rates do gradually decrease once there's a break in service at the rate of 1 day of creditable service for every day separated from federal employment after the first 3 days. Which I take to mean you would lose 1 year of creditable service to leave accumulation if you have a 1-year break in service, etc. And which just seems really awkward, but that's the clearest info I could find. Health insurance ends after 31 days of separation. Same for FEGLI (life insurance). I don't remember if as a postdoc you're eligible for FEGLI.

A break in service shouldn't affect the grade or step you come in at when the break is only a couple weeks.

I've heard of folks requesting LWOP status to avoid a break in service. It's difficult if not impossible to do with internship; it might be more viable with postdoc, but even then, it seems hazy based on the way VA training positions are funded (even though you aren't getting paid). There are also stipulations about the length of your training year, etc.

VA personnel policies are obviously convoluted, so take everything I say with a grain of salt (I haven't done much fact-checking at this point).

As has been said, a break in service would mean your annual leave is paid out at what should be your regular hourly rate. Sick leave isn't paid out but is available for reinstatement when you return to service. It sounds like leave accumulation rates do gradually decrease once there's a break in service at the rate of 1 day of creditable service for every day separated from federal employment after the first 3 days. Which I take to mean you would lose 1 year of creditable service to leave accumulation if you have a 1-year break in service, etc. And which just seems really awkward, but that's the clearest info I could find. Health insurance ends after 31 days of separation. Same for FEGLI (life insurance). I don't remember if as a postdoc you're eligible for FEGLI.

A break in service shouldn't affect the grade or step you come in at when the break is only a couple weeks.

I've heard of folks requesting LWOP status to avoid a break in service. It's difficult if not impossible to do with internship; it might be more viable with postdoc, but even then, it seems hazy based on the way VA training positions are funded (even though you aren't getting paid). There are also stipulations about the length of your training year, etc.
Thank you, AcronymAllergy! This information is very educational. I appreciate it! I am glad that I didn't say a word to my supervisors about requesting LWOP at our graduation party. It seemed inappropriate timewise and unrealistic. Also, the upcoming postdoc who replaces me is starting next Monday.

In following up with HR, I found out today that drug test was not included in my physical exam as a part of the onboarding process for the new position (G-12 Staff Psychologist) that I am transferring to (out-of-state). The earliest I am able to get it done is tomorrow morning and the HR will have the result on Monday. However, this means a firm offer won't be issued until the clearance of the drug test and my start date is pushed to the next payroll period. My last day at the current site is this Friday. My original state date was set for Monday 08/02/2021. The HR person told me that due to the delay, I will have a break between in service, and that will impact me in many ways badly regarding benefits, level changes... One of the creative suggestions she made was to ask the current site to keep me (currently a postdoc) and allow me to take an unpaid leave for two weeks to avoid a break between in service.
Anyone had or heard of similar situation before? What kind of negative impact that I will have to deal with down the road due to this delay? BTW, I have my own health insurance and a fairly healthy person. So health benefit-related concern is not an issue at this moment. I am more worried about sick time transfer and other things that I am not aware of. Any insight is gratefully appreciated. Thank you all!

Yup, you should be fine. I actually had a fairly long break in service (<1 month) and they just printed out my leave info and bring it to my new site. I still have a ton of SL thanks to it transferring with me every time. The biggest issue is health insurance.

I don't think there should be any long-term problems since postdoc doesn't count towards years of service or vesting
I’m an intern and we were told at NEO that internship and postdoc do count toward years of service but not vesting. Is there any documentation I can reference to double check on this?

I’m an intern and we were told at NEO that internship and postdoc do count toward years of service but not vesting. Is there any documentation I can reference to double check on this?
I was told the same at my orientation. Should have tape-recorded it since there is no documentation to back that up. LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what they mean by "years of service."

Internship and postdoc count toward creditable service time in terms of your rate of annual leave accumulation (i.e., 4, 6, or 8 hours per pay period).

Internship and postdoc do not count toward retirement (e.g., years of service for pension calculation), I would imagine in large part because interns and postdocs don't contribute into FERS.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you, AcronymAllergy! This information is very educational. I appreciate it! I am glad that I didn't say a word to my supervisors about requesting LWOP at our graduation party. It seemed inappropriate timewise and unrealistic. Also, the upcoming postdoc who replaces me is starting next Monday.
Sure thing. Asking at the graduation party may not be the best time, but I personally don't see anything wrong with asking at some other point if you still have time. Unfortunately, odds are it won't be possible, but no harm in double-checking.

As has been said, a break in service would mean your annual leave is paid out at what should be your regular hourly rate. Sick leave isn't paid out but is available for reinstatement when you return to service. It sounds like leave accumulation rates do gradually decrease once there's a break in service at the rate of 1 day of creditable service for every day separated from federal employment after the first 3 days. Which I take to mean you would lose 1 year of creditable service to leave accumulation if you have a 1-year break in service, etc. And which just seems really awkward, but that's the clearest info I could find.
@AcronymAllergy any chance you could point me towards where you found this? I had a two month break in service between internship and postdoc and am about to go on a journey to try to get my leave accrual rate date resolved - they never included my internship time in calculations.

My internship and post doc actually didn't count towards my years of service. HR refused to promote me to GS13 until it lined up with when I started my GS12 job, even though I'd already been GS12 on post doc. Our psychology chief even took it to the national people and couldn't get it worked out.

• Wow
@AcronymAllergy any chance you could point me towards where you found this? I had a two month break in service between internship and postdoc and am about to go on a journey to try to get my leave accrual rate date resolved - they never included my internship time in calculations.
Sure, I found it in a random OPM glossary after a series of Google searches here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...ation/processing-personnel-actions/gppa35.pdf

It's under the definition of "Break in Service." I have absolutely no idea if any of the information is current or if I'm even interpreting it correctly, though.

Sure, I found it in a random OPM glossary after a series of Google searches here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...ation/processing-personnel-actions/gppa35.pdf

It's under the definition of "Break in Service." I have absolutely no idea if any of the information is current or if I'm even interpreting it correctly, though.
Thanks! Of course I read several other memos that don't mention this reduction. But. I'll take it. 10 months of creditable service is certainly better than 0. :) Wish me luck with HR.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! Of course I read several other memos that don't mention this reduction. But. I'll take it. 10 months of creditable service is certainly better than 0. :) Wish me luck with HR.
I'd definitely also try to verify with HR (hah) if you can. If you do actually hear back, I'd be interested in what they say.

I had a break longer than yours. Printed out my leave statement, brought it to HR at the new location and they updated leave. As I am sure you can guess, that process took multiple in person walk in conversations, phone calls, and emails. But it got done.

Look into short term/temporary insurance policies through private insurers or your state to cover major stuff -- accidents and the like. You can get quick same day quotes to cover for a few weeks to months if needed.

With the delta variant on the rise, is your VA allowing you to work from home again? So many vets are coming in unvaccinated and not wearing masks properly. It also seems like the entry way health screening and temp checks have stopped, yet they still want us on site.

Ours never stopped letting people work from home in some capacity, although hasn't gone back to 100% telework for those who want it. My suspicion is we'll remain in a hybrid model indefinitely. They still do screenings and temp checks here, though.

Ours never stopped letting people work from home in some capacity, although hasn't gone back to 100% telework for those who want it. My suspicion is we'll remain in a hybrid model indefinitely. They still do screenings and temp checks here, though.

how many days a week are they allowing you to work from home?

Based on colleagues at different sites/systems, I've heard anywhere from 0 (like inpatient) to full. Also know people who have been applying heavily or have already moved on to fully virtual VA positions which seem to be more available.

I know one VA with a model where you're required to be on site at least 1 day per week for coverage (with your BHIP team) and the other 4 are dependent on metrics and they reassess monthly.

Seems like if you're in a system where the MH metrics like SAIL and access have remained solid, then more telework is allowed or even encouraged.

Systems where MH metrics have suffered during the pandemic or where leadership has a negative view of telework (eg you're gonna be lazier at home or doing laundry during down time) might be less accommodating.

I was recently hired and will be working in the MHC at my site, 50/50. I'm going to be doing 4 tens, so 2 days on site, 2 days at home. They anticipate this may be permanent going forward.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm probably not the most informed on all the specifics, but my understanding is that providers are required to be on-site at least one day a week. Beyond that seems to be based on each provider's clinical responsibilities and preferences. I believe there was word of a push toward more time on-site a month or two ago, but then the new upticks started happening.

I'm probably not the most informed on all the specifics, but my understanding is that providers are required to be on-site at least one day a week. Beyond that seems to be based on each provider's clinical responsibilities and preferences. I believe there was word of a push toward more time on-site a month or two ago, but then the new upticks started happening.
It’s frustrating because they want us to to VVC but from on-site. Everyone did so well keeping up a huge carload when working at home, but they want us here now.
Based on colleagues at different sites/systems, I've heard anywhere from 0 (like inpatient) to full. Also know people who have been applying heavily or have already moved on to fully virtual VA positions which seem to be more available.

I know one VA with a model where you're required to be on site at least 1 day per week for coverage (with your BHIP team) and the other 4 are dependent on metrics and they reassess monthly.

Seems like if you're in a system where the MH metrics like SAIL and access have remained solid, then more telework is allowed or even encouraged.

Systems where MH metrics have suffered during the pandemic or where leadership has a negative view of telework (eg you're gonna be lazier at home or doing laundry during down time) might be less accommodating.
How does one find a purely tele health position? I feel like there are none at my VA.

It’s frustrating because they want us to to VVC but from on-site. Everyone did so well keeping up a huge carload when working at home, but they want us here now.

How does one find a purely tele health position? I feel like there are none at my VA.
RE: the first point, I know at least part of the rationale behind having people on-site is for walk-ins and other urgent/emergent issues. I also don't know about the patient population where your clinic is, but ours seems to overwhelmingly prefer in-person appointments, so I suspect leadership has received lots of feedback about that. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fairness issue at play (e.g., the staff who are on-site having to deal with disproportionate numbers of the aforementioned walks-ins and emergencies). And maybe random union stuff, and/or complaints from providers in other (non-MH) departments.

RE: the second point, the folks I know who've found them all had to transfer (at least virtually, if not physically) to other VAs. Our system has thus far explicitly said they will be offering no 100% virtual positions.

You’ll most likely have to move from your current facility. I was able to move into a Clinical Resource Hub position, which are 100% virtual medical centers and help serve overflow patients for each VISN.

However, more and more hard to hire VAs are starting to approve fully virtual positions (including the facility I just left) and the applicant pool is like 10000% better. One dept at my previous VA went through multiple rounds of postings for a position with literally no applicants or only inappropriate applicants and as soon as they made it 100% virtual eligible, they were able to hire somebody who was a national VA rollout trainer/consultant in that area. Without the virtual incentive, I would imagine that position would still be unfilled today.

Definitely look on USAJobs everyday. Some jobs will be listed as virtual while most say offers telework. Some ‘offers telework’ ones are very concise in how much in-person is required for coverage reasons while others are more vague and you can potentially negotiate for fully virtual following an interview (or reach out to that chief beforehand).

Your best bet is probably either with a VA in a major city since they probably have plenty of coverage, expanding access issues, and lack of physical office space or VAs in physical locations that aren’t considered attractive and have lower populations and smaller local PhD talent pools. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Also so sorry that your facility/MH leadership seem anti-telework and won’t advocate more for their providers and/or are overly rigid.

Last edited:
With the delta variant on the rise, is your VA allowing you to work from home again? So many vets are coming in unvaccinated and not wearing masks properly. It also seems like the entry way health screening and temp checks have stopped, yet they still want us on site.
We've had the option of full telework this whole time and we're not supposed to offer face to face care unless it's absolutely necessary.

This is just silly. Why cant one start laundry (do dishes, pick up a kid at school, quick workout, vacuum) between appts and/or no shows. You can only do the work they give you/is in front of you at any given time. It already explicit that your salary is based on amount of work/productivity/productivity metrics, not hours at your desk. That mentality is just infantilizing. So glad I don't have to sneak my way out of a building anymore if I don't have anything to do!

Last edited:
That mentality is just infantilizing. So glad I don't have to sneak my way out of a building anymore if I don't have anything to do!
Yup but oh so reflective of certain VA managers. I left an acute inpatient role so I goofed off way more during those dead periods than now when I'm at home in a virtual outpatient role, especially because there's always something work-related that I can be doing.

This is just silly. Why cant one start laundry (do dishes, pick up a kid at school, quick workout, vacuum) between appts and/or no shows. You can only do the work they give you/is in front of you at any given time. It already explicit that your salary is based on amount of work/productivity/productivity metrics, not hours at your desk. That mentality is just infantilizing. So glad I don't have to sneak my way out of a building anymore if I don't have anything to do!

I do feel like this and the ridiculous pressures for access in some areas are going to bleed the VA of good candidates. We have already had a number of staff leave my VA for private practice and I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon with the advent of more virtual practices.

• Love
We have 3 children under 8. And alot of the way we keep our house in order and have great fam time everyday could NOT be done if I didn't work from home with a flexible schedule. Wife is a teacher and doesn't have the option. I get MUCH done everyday for our company, I promise. I can do stuff Sunday night if needed. But I don't do that regularly. I also have an 8 hour carve out during the week to practice, which is nice!

Sadly, this is not the way many in upper VA levels seem to view things. Near the start of the pandemic and WFH, I heard rumblings of a spreadsheet being proposed by some managers that would require all providers to track their time and activities down to the quarter hour. It was quickly called back, but the fact it even got that far was disheartening. Pretty sure VA (or at least many of its managers) sees it that they're paying you for your time and your productivity. If you can meet productivity requirements in less time, you should be seeing more patients (for the same compensation, obviously).

Sadly, this is not the way many in upper VA levels seem to view things. Near the start of the pandemic and WFH, I heard rumblings of a spreadsheet being proposed by some managers that would require all providers to track their time and activities down to the quarter hour. It was quickly called back, but the fact it even got that far was disheartening. Pretty sure VA (or at least many of its managers) sees it that they're paying you for your time and your productivity. If you can meet productivity requirements in less time, you should be seeing more patients (for the same compensation, obviously).

And how much time are they carving out for people to complete this added paperwork? It seems kind of silly given that the VA is one of the places that it can be more difficult to reassign people to new areas/duties. For example, if I got pulled to cover MHC, the GEC would have a fit as they cover my salary and MH does not.

I certainly did NOT take a pay cut when I left VA for the position I did, and the subsequent position I have now ("middle management" as it probably is in the grand scheme of things in this huge company), but I cannot stress enough the value of dishes, grocery runs, workouts, or child raising flexibility that I have now.

• Love

Nope, we're actually being pushed to reduce phone visits (there's always VVC but you know some patients won't do it).

• Sad
Nope, we're actually being pushed to reduce phone visits (there's always VVC but you know some patients won't do it).

Define pushed. We have been encouraged to move patients to VVC or F2F (though things are starting to go away from this direction again). I just do telephone anyway and document that it is veteran preference. The political types have a hard time arguing with veteran preferences.

Last edited:
Define pushed. We have been encouraged to move patients to VVC or F2F (though things are starting to go away from this direction again). I just do telephone anyway and document that it is veteran preference. The political types have a hard time arguing with veteran preferences.

They want us to reduce phone visits and they said that they'll be tracking them. And, yeah, I've just been documenting Veteran preference. Some of my patients don't want to come in because they don't want to wear a mask, so that works.

Ahh yes, be glad. You missed the early pandemic days when our Skype lights had to be green (yellow is a major no no!) or we received messages via multiple modalities (including private cell phone) trying to determine where we were (ahem...doing therapy which I'm trying to give my full attention to!) I was so livid. Still have a complex to this day when my light fades to yellow...

Last edited:
Ahh yes, be glad. You missed the early pandemic days when our Skype lights had to be green (yellow is a major no no!) or we received messages via multiple modalities (including private cell phone) trying to determine where we were (ahem...doing therapy which I'm trying to give my full attention to!) I was so livid. Still have a complex to this day when my light fades to yellow...
I had to talk to my supervisor, who works remotely, the other day. Teams messaged her first thing in the morning and waited for 3 hours with no response. I ended up having to call her on the phone and it did not sound like she was home or near her computer. Her light stayed solid green the entire time. Is there a way to keep the light green without having to sit in front of the computer? :unsure:

I had to talk to my supervisor, who works remotely, the other day. Teams messaged her first thing in the morning and waited for 3 hours with no response. I ended up having to call her on the phone and it did not sound like she was home or near her computer. Her light stayed solid green the entire time. Is there a way to keep the light green without having to sit in front of the computer? :unsure:
There might be a way to increase the amount of time before Teams changes you to Away or Do Not Disturb, but if so, I don't know if VA employees have the level of system access needed to do that.

@IWillSurvive : I swear my light turns yellow while I'm actively sitting at my computer. If I'd had people continually messaging me about where I was at those times, I don't suspect it would've gone well. This reminds me of the "solution" I'd mentioned above from someone in management that providers track their time each day via an Excel spreadsheet. How these people end up in "leadership" positions is beyond me.

Is there a way to keep the light green without having to sit in front of the computer? :unsure:
Many/all supervisors and I think all remote employees are issued a VA iphone with Teams on it so as long as you fiddle with your phone every once in a while, your light should stay green. I am remote and if I have a down period, I’ll do stuff around the house which is a great decompressor for me but I make sure that I am ridiculously reachable (eg., all notifications on highest volume, phone in pocket/hand at all times).

There is also a setting on Teams to indicate how much time elapses before you go yellow. I believe the default is 5 mins but can be bumped up and am not sure if this is permission locked or not (I was able to change mine). If you want to change yours and can’t figure out how, feel free to DM me and I’ll poke around and see if I remember how.

Last edited:
If you just need some activity on your computer every so often (e.g., moving a mouse or a keystroke) to keep the light green, you can definitely set up a script to automate that (though I can imagine the VA wouldn't like that for several reasons).