VA/Military Retirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

christianblake89

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm looking for a fact check and some help in understanding military buy back time and federal retirement. From my understanding I could buy back my military service time and apply it to my federal time. From my calculations and understanding if I work 20 years in the Army and 20 years with 20 years working for a VA medical center I could retire at 62 and make $272,000. I took 0.017 x 400,000 x 40... the 400,000 is a theoretical high-3. I feel that this is far too much, and they would not give someone a retirement this high... references Calculating a FERS Annuity ... FERS Retirement Pension Calculation
 
Hi all, I'm looking for a fact check and some help in understanding military buy back time and federal retirement. From my understanding I could buy back my military service time and apply it to my federal time. From my calculations and understanding if I work 20 years in the Army and 20 years with 20 years working for a VA medical center I could retire at 62 and make $272,000. I took 0.017 x 400,000 x 40... the 400,000 is a theoretical high-3. I feel that this is far too much, and they would not give someone a retirement this high... references Calculating a FERS Annuity ... FERS Retirement Pension Calculation

You can't buy back your military time that's already included in the your military pension.