VA pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taterbean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search this but "va" cannot be searched and I just get junk w/ "va pharmacist" etc...anyway I am interested in the VA and IHS programs. The IHS has a website w/ recruitment contacts and related. But I cannot find much on the VA website. Basically my question is what can I do now as a student to graduate in 10' to prepare to work for the VA or give myself a better opportunity at employment? Are there any student programs? Any recruitment links or anything to help? Does the VA do 2,4 etc commitments like other govt branches? Or does the VA work like Safeway, walgreens where just applying when you graduate is the way to get a job. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to search this but "va" cannot be searched and I just get junk w/ "va pharmacist" etc...anyway I am interested in the VA and IHS programs. The IHS has a website w/ recruitment contacts and related. But I cannot find much on the VA website. Basically my question is what can I do now as a student to graduate in 10' to prepare to work for the VA or give myself a better opportunity at employment? Are there any student programs? Any recruitment links or anything to help? Does the VA do 2,4 etc commitments like other govt branches? Or does the VA work like Safeway, walgreens where just applying when you graduate is the way to get a job. Thanks for the help

The VA system is not easy to navigate or find information, even for VA employees. You will do yourself a disservice to only search via the web. You have to do it the old fashion way and call, better yer, VISIT in person, talk to HR and better yet, talk to the DOP at your local VA. (sorry for the runon) VA hospitals are connected, but are independent with the programs they offer, a lot is based on need in the area. You should contact the VA hospital in any city you are willing to relocate to for information about opportunities. Hope this helps. Even if you find info on the web, you will still have questions that can only be answered by someone in the know, often it will be the DOP or HR personnel, I have found its best to contact both, because opportunities pop up and info is slow to disseminate sometimes. Volunteers are always welcome(from what Ive seen) at the VA, so if you want to see what its like prior to graduation..............again, hope this helps.

Call a VA medical center near you and inquire about the VALOR program:

"VA Learning Opportunities Residency (VALOR): This program allows nursing and pharmacy students who have completed their junior year in an accredited clinical program to gain experience at a VA facility.""

The VA also offers post graduate residencies at some facilities.

The VA offers a wide variety of opportunities for pharmacists, from staff pharmacists (inpatient and/or outpatient), to various clinical pharmacist positions.

You might also check out usajobs.com and search for jobs with the keyword pharmacy to see what jobs are available.

Good luck!

I'm currently doing a rotation at a VA and absolutely love it! I like the working environment a lot. The hours are great.

I heard that it is very hard to get a residency at a VA and you can find them on their main website. Just type in residency and it would show you links of each state and what their requirements are. But if you're looking to be a staff pharmacist, it's not hard at all. It's a lot harder to get a job as a clinical pharmacist though since everybody wants to go "clinical" now.