VA Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAMCDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I am a long time lurker here and don't follow all topics closely. However, I have noticed people discuss poor pay for VA podiatrists, without mention of actual numbers. I am curious what numbers you all have actually encountered. I'm in my second year of practice and recently accepted a VA position and the pay was surprisingly higher than I expected (120k+), especially what I had encountered about low pay. I have read many threads of new grads making 200k or so, but from my own job search the VA offer seems very reasonable. Very curious to hear others input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The VA can be a very good opportunity. You can be sure they aren't going to merge or go out of business. You don't have to worry about insurance issues, etc. Most VA jobs aren't the most glamorous, but pay is reasonable. Government jobs top out and I believe the present top end for DPMs is about 155,000. However, there is legislation for parity with MDs/DOs. If that happens during your employment you'll be one happy camper.

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings all,
I am a long time lurker here and don't follow all topics closely. However, I have noticed people discuss poor pay for VA podiatrists, without mention of actual numbers. I am curious what numbers you all have actually encountered. I'm in my second year of practice and recently accepted a VA position and the pay was surprisingly higher than I expected (120k+), especially what I had encountered about low pay. I have read many threads of new grads making 200k or so, but from my own job search the VA offer seems very reasonable. Very curious to hear others input. Thank you!

I have heard that 120k is near the upper end of the range of podiatry salaries at a VA system usually given to the chief. This may or may not be a lot depending on household and your state's cost of living

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that 120k is near the upper end of the range of podiatry salaries at a VA system usually given to the chief. This may or may not be a lot depending on household and your state's cost of living

As per my reply a above, I'm positive that the salary does not top off at 120,000'. If you find the names of the DPMs at any VA and google their names, their salaries will actually be available for public display since it is a government job. I happened to google a doctor I know who has been at a VA at least 20 years and the salary was 155,000. Once again, if the salary parity law passes, that income will increase nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are some information about VA Podiatry that might be helpful.

Podiatrist at VA hospitals are currently paid on the GS scale, based on the grade and step of that Podiatrist. When a new Podiatrist enters into the VA hospital, the starting grade and step for the Podiatrist will be determined based on their credentials, during the credentialing process. The GS scale has 15 Grades and 10 Steps within each grade. Newly graduated residents entering the VA system usually ends up somewhere in Grade 13. However, I have known some new graduates entering in Grade 14 level. The more experienced Podiatrist entering into the VA can enter somewhere in Grade 13 to 15, depending on their credentials (board certification, years of experience, publications and research, faculty appointment, residency / fellowship training, etc.....) Once the intial grade and step have been established, the Podiatrist will usually advance within grades and step, provided that he/she meets the criterias for the next grade level. As ExperiencedDPM pointed out, the Podiatrist at VA will max out on how much they can make, when they reach Grade 15 step 10. The current max salary for Grade 15 Step 10 is $160,300.

The MD/DO/DDS/DMD are not paid on the GS scale. They are paid on a separate physician payscale, which has significantly higher salaries than GS scale. Yes, Dentists are paid on the same level as MD/DO and not Podiatry. Hence, there is a lot of buzz surrounding the salary parity law in Senate that would move Podiatry onto the Physician pay scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
As per my reply a above, I'm positive that the salary does not top off at 120,000'. If you find the names of the DPMs at any VA and google their names, their salaries will actually be available for public display since it is a government job. I happened to google a doctor I know who has been at a VA at least 20 years and the salary was 155,000. Once again, if the salary parity law passes, that income will increase nicely.

Wow! I did not know that VA physician salaries are that transparent...