VA service connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted864926

This may be a dumb question, but will service connect have an effect on application? I'm awaiting a decision and I had that jolting thought.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a dumb question, but will service connect have an effect on application? I'm awaiting a decision and I had that jolting thought.

Will it effect your Medical school application? No.

Can you apply for VA benefits and potentially get medical school paid for? Yes. Once you have your disability take a look at the voc rehab threads that floating around in the Non-trad section and post your questions in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Will it effect your Medical school application? No.

Can you apply for VA benefits and potentially get medical school paid for? Yes. Once you have your disability take a look at the voc rehab threads that floating around in the Non-trad section and post your questions in their.
That is a weight of my shoulders, thanks man. I like that idea, I will indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a weight of my shoulders, thanks man. I like that idea, I will indeed.

I'm a female, but no problem. Definitely peruse the voc rehab threads, I graduated with 0 dollars debt from medical school thanks to voc rehab (had 40% SC disability). Planning to use 9/11 GI bill in residency.

I graduated with 0 dollars debt from medical school thanks to voc rehab (had 40% SC disability). Planning to use 9/11 GI bill in residency.
Just make sure you actually have any GI Bill left. I know some VocRehab participants got to use Chapter 31 benefits without it affecting their GI Bill entitlements, but that's not supposed to be the case as it's 48 months of education training total without a SEH. If you got lucky and they didn't ding your Ch 33, then more power to you. Best of luck on the residency.

Just make sure you actually have any GI Bill left. I know some VocRehab participants got to use Chapter 31 benefits without it affecting their GI Bill entitlements, but that's not supposed to be the case as it's 48 months of education training total without a SEH. If you got lucky and they didn't ding your Ch 33, then more power to you. Best of luck on the residency.

I was told during by my counselor a couple years ago that my GI bill would not be affected by Voc Rehab . The only people that have told me different is on this forum. Apparently they changed and rechanged the rule while I was in school. As far as I can tell per Ebenefits, my GI bill has not been affected by voc rehab. I applied for residency, but it's held up a bit as my program is not on the list of approved programs. The whole school is, just not my specific program, so I'm waiting on the process of it getting added for verification by the school.

I was told during by my counselor a couple years ago that my GI bill would not be affected by Voc Rehab . The only people that have told me different is on this forum. Apparently they changed and rechanged the rule while I was in school. As far as I can tell per Ebenefits, my GI bill has not been affected by voc rehab. I applied for residency, but it's held up a bit as my program is not on the list of approved programs. The whole school is, just not my specific program, so I'm waiting on the process of it getting added for verification by the school.
That is incredible for you then. I've heard people in the Ch31 Facebook group who were approved and thought their GI Bill wouldn't be touched, then were freaking out when it was gone. I'm glad that's not the case for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hold your breath on using your GI Bill. You can read the ruling for yourself but they made it patently clear that you cannot use more than 48 months for all programs combined. In the event you slip through the system, I wouldn't put it past the gov't to try and recoup that money from you later, either by withholding your VA compensation or ultimately filing a lean against any real property you own. I'm not saying it's fair but I am saying it is the law. I posted the link to the ruling over in the Ch 31 thread.

Here's the bulk of it though:

48-Month Rule with Chapter 31 A policy advisory was issued in December, 2015, regarding the use of educational assistance and vocational rehabilitation (chapter 31). It was determined that benefits collected under chapter 31 would not limit the use of education benefits (chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606, 1607), but that use of education benefits could limit the number of months of assistance to which a veteran with a service-connected disability may be entitled under chapter 31.

An advisory released on September 21, 2016 overturns this decision. Processors have been informed that, effective immediately, they must count chapter 31 entitlement usage when determining entitlement for other VA education benefit programs. Individuals eligible for multiple benefits may receive no more than 48 months of combined benefits.

The actual law:

38 U.S. Code § 3695 - Limitation on period of assistance under two or more programs

(a) The aggregate period for which any person may receive assistance under two or more of the provisions of law listed below may not exceed 48 months (or the part-time equivalent thereof):

(1) Parts VII or VIII, Veterans Regulation numbered 1(a), as amended.

(2) Title II of the Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1952.

(3) The War Orphans’ Educational Assistance Act of 1956.

(4) Chapters 30, 32, 33, 34, and 36.

(5) Chapters 107, 1606, 1607, and 1611 of title 10.

(6) Section 903 of the Department of Defense Authorization Act, 1981 (Public Law 96–342, 10 U.S.C. 2141 note).

(7) The Hostage Relief Act of 1980 (Public Law 96–449, 5 U.S.C. 5561 note).

(8) The Omnibus Diplomatic Security and Antiterrorism Act of 1986 (Public Law 99–399).

(b) No person may receive assistance under chapter 31 of this title in combination with assistance under any of the provisions of law cited in subsection (a) of this section in excess of 48 months (or the part-time equivalent thereof) unless the Secretary determines that additional months of benefits under chapter 31 of this title are necessary to accomplish the purposes of a rehabilitation program (as defined in section 3101(5) of this title) in the individual case.

(c) The aggregate period for which any person may receive assistance under chapter 35 of this title, on the one hand, and any of the provisions of law referred to in subsection (a), on the other hand, may not exceed 81 months (or the part-time equivalent thereof).

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold your breath on using your GI Bill. You can read the ruling for yourself but they made it patently clear that you cannot use more than 48 months for all programs combined. In the event you slip through the system, I wouldn't put it past the gov't to try and recoup that money from you later, either by withholding your VA compensation or ultimately filing a lean against any real property you own. I'm not saying it's fair but I am saying it is the law. I posted the link to the ruling over in the Ch 31 thread.

Sorry, not going to not apply for benefits that the VA says that I have based on what I read on an internet forum. And it's "lien", not "lean". Most of the extra money I get from it will go towards catching up in retirement savings and towards emergency savings so if it happens, it happens. I'm not expecting a recoup, but I guess you never know. At this point, I'm debt free and playing with house money. Regardless, I have 6 months left even if the 48 month limit applies which for where I live is a significant chunk of money.

Sorry, not going to not apply for benefits that the VA says that I have based on what I read on an internet forum. And it's "lien", not "lean". Most of the extra money I get from it will go towards catching up in retirement savings and towards emergency savings so if it happens, it happens. I'm not expecting a recoup, but I guess you never know. At this point, I'm debt free and playing with house money. Regardless, I have 6 months left even if the 48 month limit applies which for where I live is a significant chunk of money.

No one is saying not to apply, I'm simply telling you what I know to be fact. I admin a group of 2400+ veterans dedicated solely to chapter 31 and have been in the program personally twice (including approved for medical school). During my time assisting veterans with educational benefits (something I've been doing for more than a decade) I've come to learn to read VA decisions in a pragmatic manner. The law you can read for yourself, it's in the CFR, not something anyone on an "internet" forum is trying to make up. The interpretation I posted came directly from the Dept of Veterans Affairs. Additionally, our group has numerous VA officials, including VRC's, certifying officers and even an associate director. There's not really any reason to be hostile when a fellow veteran is trying to help you out, but by all means, call the VA or write them directly and ask. If they tell you something different than what I've stated, then great, it's a win for all veterans. Sadly, I'm confident that will not be the case.

And as for the misspelling, sorry, I was in a rush trying to respond to a fellow vet while taking care of an 8 month old and not focusing on grammar but rather on the spirit of the process. Next time I'll opt to focus on the more important task :blackeye: SMH

Reactions: 1 user
Long time no see chica. What did you end up going into?