Vacation before starting dental school worth it? Or plan to work until day before orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did get an interview with my local school, so there is a decent chance I may have the choice to go there. It is my state school, so that is my best option financially. I am currently working a job with a pretty decent salary to save up for living costs (I am literally putting away more than half of my paycheck every month, and still living on a college student's budget), as I know working a part time job during dental school is pretty much impossible. Assuming I get accepted into and choose to attend my local school, I would not have to worry about relocation and all that, so I could choose to work until literally the day before orientation if I wanted. Upon leaving my employment, the contract states that my unused vacation days will be paid out, so that gives me an incentive to avoid using my vacation days.

I know that many people like to go on a vacation before they start dental school, but less saved before dental school can easily mean more loans while in dental school, so I am inclined to see it as "pay now (give up a vacation now) or pay later (owe a lot more in debt after graduation)". I obviously have a financial incentive to be working every single work day until the day before orientation, but was wondering if I might get too burned out when I make it to dental school. Would many people really strongly recommend taking time off before dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you and have put a lot of thought into a nearly identical situation. For me personally, I plan on letting all of my vacation time accruing without use and then cashing out and having a few weeks of personal time to sort myself out and relax/prepare for hitting the ground running once classes commence. Sometimes its best to reset everything before starting something big. Opportunity cost is big too, just imagine not being fully there mentally and having it hinder any learning, just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Go on the vacation! Life’s too short. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Dental school is a long grind and that grind will continue after school.
Right now there is no grind so relax!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be in a rigorous program for four years, so I would say giving yourself a vacation to refresh, reset, and give yourself a pat on the back for getting yourself accepted in to dental school is important. I totally get where you are coming from, but life's too short to over-calculate one vacation I'm sure you deserve :)

Reactions: 5 users
A week vacation won't hurt you financially that bad in my opinion. It's just another grand or two on top of +250K :laugh:
Go on a vacation and enjoy life while you can. Nobody can guarantee what happens tomorrow. Good luck!

After a particular interview I felt pretty good about, I rescheduled some of my interviews to post December just in case. I am gonna use the money for a vacation before dental school

After a particular interview I felt pretty good about, I rescheduled some of my interviews to post December just in case. I am gonna use the money for a vacation before dental school
For me, if I get into my local school (Michigan) on December 1, I plan to decline all other post-December interviews (if any) unless it is Penn (just because that is also one of the schools I really like).

Go on vacation. Once you start you will barely have time to breathe. Enjoy real life while you can.

Another vote for vacation. On days where things just aren't going great I think back to summer and am glad I allowed myself some enjoyment.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm taking a vacation (actually I'm taking two short ones)! They aren't going to be super extravagant but I think the reward of a well-earned vacation will be a welcome break before I start a rigorous/stressful program. Not worth it to me to work up until the day of orientation and not feel as excited or eager to start a new chapter. Self care is important!

Vacation for sure! Cheap vacation can still be great fun.

It's just that if I took time off, chances are I could only stay at home and do nothing. I can't really afford to travel anywhere if I want the money to survive four years. In the event that I need to relocate before dental school, then I would probably give myself a week to do that. All schools I applied to (except Penn) are within 5 hours of driving distance.

If I were to get into Michigan, I believe orientation starts on a Monday, thus still giving me a weekend.

You are youngest today in your life.

Take time off. Enjoy yourself. You don't have to spend fortune to have refreshing break.

Have to tried fishing? drive up to nearest river or lake and give it a try, you can rent gears for one day and one day pass is like 7 bucks. Just some new experience.

Do you hike? drive to nearest state park and hike up, fresh air, an ice chill beverage on top, if you got hammock, lay down in the woods read some fun books. Go to nearest orchard, go apple picking, fresh crisp apples! I love apple caramel form an orchard since it's the best. Maybe get some apple pie, if not a pie person get a jug of apple cider. It is only available during the fall. Your last fall before dental school Enjoy the fall colors.

During the winter, I don't know where you are located, but community based activities are pretty affordable. Cross country ski, ice skate etc. (Of well we have lots of snow in WI) or call up friends and enjoy snow flight like a kid. It is still fun. Have you ever tried to grill in the snow? it is extra fun haha.

During the spring, go to local garden, enjoy flowers read some books or comic under the flowering trees, some of the petals can dive into your books.

Go to local concert or any activities you can enjoy. Why would you sit in home doing nothing??!?!?!?

If you don't like person to person interaction or need a break, there are still lots of "alone" activities you can do for yourself :)

Hammocks are cheap if you buy online these days, I got it under $15 which I would say pretty affordable to anyone.

Enjoy life, before we get any older!!! haha...