MD Vacation dec 17-21 in interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take an international vacation from Dec 15-Jan 1. I know that there are never interviews between Christmas and New Year. That leaves a week from Monday December 17 to Friday 21st. Will I be able to reschedule interview offers for that week to before I leave or to after I return? Starting November 1st I am fully free for months.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the field and the program. Most allow you to pick a convenient interview date, but some don't. There also may be some that interviews the week between Christmas and New Years. I believe the 27/28/29th were dates that showed up often for me. I wouldn't let that stop you from your trip. Talk to people who have applied in your field and as long as they offer enough interview days, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I want to take an international vacation from Dec 15-Jan 1. I know that there are never interviews between Christmas and New Year. That leaves a week from Monday December 17 to Friday 21st. Will I be able to reschedule interview offers for that week to before I leave or to after I return? Starting November 1st I am fully free for months.

Depends on the field. Some programs only have 3-4 interview dates for the entire season. I'm told some family medicine programs have weekly interview slots. The more dates the more flexible. As long as you schedule interviews early enough, taking that week off should cost you no more than one interview.

Depends on the field. Some programs only have 3-4 interview dates for the entire season. I'm told some family medicine programs have weekly interview slots. The more dates the more flexible. As long as you schedule interviews early enough, taking that week off should cost you no more than one interview.
Many internal medicine programs have 40 or 50 interview dates spaced between October and January (or even February). When you interview upwards of 600 candidates, you have to have lots of options.

Many dermatology programs have 1 or 2 interview dates. When you're dermatology, you can be picky.

Most fields are somewhere in between.

Impossible to say if the OP would be affected without knowing his field.