Vacations During Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickey85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at scheduling a vacation with her family this fall, but we would need to book this trip quickly; this trip also has to include certain dates to accommodate everyone's school and work calendars.

For those in residency, how easy have you found it to schedule vacation time when you want it?

I know every program is different ( number of weeks, etc). And the Match hasn't "sorted" me yet. But any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

At my program, if you know before schedules are created, it's never a problem. There's usually plenty of flexibility. The one issue that I think you may run into is an intern retreat type situation - some sort of required extra activity that stretches the rest of the residency program to provide coverage. Might want to ask your programs you're considering when they typically have their retreat.

As OP stated, find out when the intern retreat is before scheduling. Also, I would stay away from July (orientation) Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years weeks-- these weeks are difficult for chiefs to promise to anyone and a lot harder to schedule around because most programs divvy up holidays among the residents to make it fair. So if you pick a regular old week during the year you should be fine!

Scheduling vacations during training is a big challenge when you have two families to contend with ;-) But totally worth it.