Vaccine poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will there be a scientifically proven COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes, by the end of 2020

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Yes, by the summer of 2021

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Yes, by the end of 2021

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • No, vaccines are hard

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

Chartreuse Wombat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's take a poll.
No I don't intend to publish in RJ

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Don't think vaccines are hard, it's the target here (no vaccine for common cold, or HIV, ...); but I get your point. Recently had an explanation by a smart med student as to why she thought a COVID virus wouldn't be found due its particular class/(molecular) genetic structure. Don't remember, so can't repeat, but she made sense at the time.

Don't think vaccines are hard, it's the target here (no vaccine for common cold, or HIV, ...); but I get your point. Recently had an explanation by a smart med student as to why she thought a COVID virus wouldn't be found due its particular class/(molecular) genetic structure. Don't remember, so can't repeat, but she made sense at the time.
Yes the nature of the virus and lack of previous success with coronaviruses is what motivated the answer

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes the nature of the virus and lack of previous success with coronaviruses is what motivated the answer
Agreed with this. I find it unlikely that there will be a safe, effective, and lasting immunity via vaccine.

Reactions: 1 user
Lasting immunity? Isn't once or twice a year good enough? When you weigh yearly to semiyearly vaccines against the course of the common cold it doesn't seem worth making a vaccine. The present situation is different.

That study out of China showed neutralizing immunity disappearing within 8 weeks in as many as 40% of people, worst if not symptomatic.

That study out of China showed neutralizing immunity disappearing within 8 weeks in as many as 40% of people, worst if not symptomatic.

Any evidence that points to a solution that doesn't involve forcing republicans to wear masks under penalty of law and public shaming, I'm not really interested in hearing about. That's basically what this has boiled down to.

When/if vaccine developed, theoretically all humans should get it? And if so, all humans contain a subset of humans getting radiation.
So... hold radiation or no for the COVID vaccine ;)

• Haha
My guess is that it'll be a multiple shot vaccine per year and not that effective. Healthcare professionals will probably have to maintain adequate antibody titers. For civilians I've no idea. Maybe only in the winter or something?

Or maybe there won't be one and there will be a new normal

The chances of a vaccine are low. We have never succeeded in making one against corona viruses is my understanding. i know of people who had the virus and had “negative” abs (the test often doesn’t give you a titer quantification but a thumbs up or down)

Reactions: 1 users
The chances of a vaccine are low. We have never succeeded in making one against corona viruses is my understanding. i know of people who had the virus and had “negative” abs (the test often doesn’t give you a titer quantification but a thumbs up or down)

We don't need a vaccine to make 100% of recipients immune. When it does work, we don't need it to last forever. All the vaccine needs to do is get the R0 under 1... then this goes from a chain reaction to a smoldering fire.

About the argument of never having a vaccine for coronaviruses... have we ever had a coronavirus that caused enough trouble to warrant this level of attention? Kind of a rhetorical question because the answer is no. We have every developed nation along with most every large pharma company exhausting all efforts to produce a workable vaccine, something that I can safely say has never occurred previously to vanquish the mighty common cold.

Data from the Moderna phase I in NEJM seems to suggest the booster dose is what results in the more robust response and so the hope is that a two-shot vaccine schedule will produce a more lasting immune response. I remain hopeful that we will have a vaccine by early 2021.

Apparently T cell response which is tough to measure as opposed to neutralizing antibodies is key here.