vaccines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a P1 in CA memorizing all the vaccines, indications, ages, how to administer, etc, and I'm wondering which ones do pharmacists REALLY administer. I know in CA we are allowed to administer all of them under protocol but I'm wondering if pharmacists actually do give MMR, polio, etc or if it's just flu shots basically. Thanks:D

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you work. When I worked at Walgreens, we REALLY administer MMR, MMRV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, Meningitis, Pneumovax, Zostavax and of course Flu.

The ones I see ALL the time in our pharmacy - Zostavax and flu.

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida --> Pneumovax, Zostavax and Flu are the only ones we allowed to do for now.

I really don't approve of pharmacists giving vaccines, but that's another thread...

Florida --> Pneumovax, Zostavax and Flu are the only ones we allowed to do for now.

I really don't approve of pharmacists giving vaccines, but that's another thread...

can you elaborate why? im really curious become my prof is super gung ho about pharmacists taking over the vaccine arena and i personally don't see that being feasable

I've personally given flu,pneumonia,Tdap,& Zostrix. I think these would be the most common in any pharmacy, although has been mentioned, it depends on your locale. Pediatric vaccines are pretty rare, since they are going to be free or low-cost at the local health clinic, so for the most part you are only going to be looking at adult vaccines.

can you elaborate why? im really curious become my prof is super gung ho about pharmacists taking over the vaccine arena and i personally don't see that being feasable

The overall picture is that it is making it easier to get vaccines, and maybe more people will do it.

However in a retail setting pharmacists don't have time to go to the bathroom, and now we have to take up 5 minutes to give a shot. And the pharmacy chains have even set quotas that each pharmacist must meet each season.

In addition, I don't want to touch anyone. I enjoy staying behind the pharmacy walls and speaking to patients from a distance.

80% of my class is brainwashed too because they have never worked in a pharmacy and see this as being "cool" and expanding the role as a pharmacist. However it is not compensated financially. It is added on to the tasks already allotted.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion, and fire may ensue.