Validity of older calculus grades

Started by MIGLdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MIGLdr

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm almost done with my 1st semester back in school! 👍 Took general bio/chem and things seem to be going well, with a few weeks left before the semester ends.

Anyways, I was planning classes for the my next few terms and was wondering what people's experience have been with science or math courses taken a long time ago.

I took Calculus I & II in the year 2000. (Grades of A and B respectively) Is this too far back in the past for the purposes of AMCAS, or is it alright? I would rather not have to retake these again. 😉 I'm assuming that the B in Calc II is not too frowned upon.

I will probably call some of the schools I'm interested in to find out what their stance in, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with grades that are over 5+ years old.
 
Yeah, calc is not a pre-req so I really doubt that anyone would have a problem with it. I took mine in '97 and am not thinking twice about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm almost done with my 1st semester back in school! 👍 Took general bio/chem and things seem to be going well, with a few weeks left before the semester ends.

Anyways, I was planning classes for the my next few terms and was wondering what people's experience have been with science or math courses taken a long time ago.

I took Calculus I & II in the year 2000. (Grades of A and B respectively) Is this too far back in the past for the purposes of AMCAS, or is it alright? I would rather not have to retake these again. 😉 I'm assuming that the B in Calc II is not too frowned upon.

I will probably call some of the schools I'm interested in to find out what their stance in, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with grades that are over 5+ years old.

Its not a problem at all. I took my calc and physics WAY back long before 2000. Choose never to retake those, since they were well about the "C" requirement and didnt affect me getting in. I am starting med school in the fall. So dont sweat that. The only time to worry about old grades is if you got a C/D or below.

Good luck
 
I'm almost done with my 1st semester back in school! 👍 Took general bio/chem and things seem to be going well, with a few weeks left before the semester ends.

Anyways, I was planning classes for the my next few terms and was wondering what people's experience have been with science or math courses taken a long time ago.

I took Calculus I & II in the year 2000. (Grades of A and B respectively) Is this too far back in the past for the purposes of AMCAS, or is it alright? I would rather not have to retake these again. 😉 I'm assuming that the B in Calc II is not too frowned upon.

I will probably call some of the schools I'm interested in to find out what their stance in, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with grades that are over 5+ years old.

You don't even need calc to get in. I had taken calc about 7 years ago and did horribly, like a D or a C-, and I still got in to schools! I never re-took it. Worry more about your core science courses. Your old calc grades are great and totally still count. Good luck. 👍
 
Thanks for the feedback. Although I was proud of my previous achievements in calc I would have definitely not wanted to redo any college math. 😀
 
As long as it's above a C, you get credit for it. Med schools don't worry too much about old, old grades as long as you have new grades to show you can do the work.

However, I want to add that calc will be counted into your BCPM, so it does matter (somewhat) how well you did on your math courses.