Value of an MPH degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT blues

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that most of the people I know who did an MPH have gotten into medical school. On their initial try they didn't get in however, after finishing an MPH they all got tons of interviews and a descent number of interviews. Granted not all of them will be going to top 10 medical schools, but the value of an MPH to me seems pretty powerful. What do you all think? What value does having an MPH give you during the medical school admissions process.

Members don't see this ad.

It might make you somewhat of a more colorful applicant. Also, it might open up more connections being you are a grad student and the admissions committee for the MPH program or faculty may have some background that can help you out if you choose to use them for Recs? I'm not sure. Man, if what your saying is true which I'm sure in many respects it is, I'm not sure if I should do as rawhide says, or just stick w/the MPH program.

wyldstyle

I am sure that knowledge of the medical system, and practice with respect to local and state perspectives will help you get in to medical school. In addition, the business knowledge is always smiled upon by ADCOMs.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends what you specialize in, ie. Administrative Medicine. In many MPH schools including the one I want to attend, you can't specialize in the Admin Med track or the Community Primary Care track unless ur a health professional or med student..etc.

i have mph, but it didn't help me at all.
frown.gif

The MPH program I am looking at (KCOM) has an MHA and a separate MPH degree. I would suggest taking electives that focus on what you want to do.

Toran

I'm finishing my MS in Public Health and I don't think it helped me at all. I do, however, think it added to my own understanding of what clinical medicine and public health entails and has contributed to my own vision of how I can help people.