LOR Value

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedSomeAdviceGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to determine the difference in "quality" between LORs. Of course, the best LOR is one written by someone who can really speak to you as an applicant, and I imagine a letter that comes from a PD holds more weight than a locums attending, but outside of that how much do factors like the following come into play:
  • MD vs DO
  • Institution they work for
  • Where they did residency and/or medical school

I'm also in a particular situation where on my current rotation I could ask the PD, for the specialty I'm going in, and could probably get a decent to good letter as I haven't really worked with them directly as much, but there's also an attending I work with who is a first year attending who I really vibed with who I think would write an amazing LOR. Which one would be stronger in this situation? I'd be applying to very competitive programs in a non-competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not both?
Good question. I'm applying to programs that allow no more than 3 letters and I have to be choosy between my letters (I already have 2 others that I am 100% using).

Ultimately I could ask for both just to have them but a decision would have to be made come ERAS, and Id also rather not waste one of their's time if I'm 100% not going to be using their letter.

I'm also curious between the aforementioned variables in LOR either way heh

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. I'm applying to programs that allow no more than 3 letters and I have to be choosy between my letters (I already have 2 others that I am 100% using).

Ultimately I could ask for both just to have them but a decision would have to be made come ERAS, and Id also rather not waste one of their's time if I'm 100% not going to be using their letter.

I'm also curious between the aforementioned variables in LOR either way heh
Just ask for them both and then potentially target certain letters for certain programs. Plus you might work with the PD again later, and the letter could get stronger. Finally you mentioned some programs allow only 3, but then maybe some allow more?

Basically, don’t worry about wasting someone’s time. Take care of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Just ask for them both and then potentially target certain letters for certain programs. Plus you might work with the PD again later, and the letter could get stronger. Finally you mentioned some programs allow only 3, but then maybe some allow more?

Basically, don’t worry about wasting someone’s time. Take care of your application.
Ofc, will do.

In general, though, is there a huge difference at top programs between letters from a PD vs a new attending, MD vs DO, etc?

Thanks!

Ofc, will do.

In general, though, is there a huge difference at top programs between letters from a PD vs a new attending, MD vs DO, etc?

Thanks!
Content matters most. Of course if two people wrote literally the same letter then you would want the PD. But how name is weighted matters differently across specialties and programs

Reactions: 1 users