Value of life experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keitaiKT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a post I found on the blog of a non-trad medical student talking about the value of life/work experience before becoming a doctor. It's a bit of a rant but brings up interesting ideas. I'm glad the people at my med school (so far) have been more mature than this....

http://www.veritography.com/mt-archives/2006/12/on_the_origin_o.html

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a post I found on the blog of a non-trad medical student talking about the value of life/work experience before becoming a doctor. It's a bit of a rant but brings up interesting ideas. I'm glad the people at my med school (so far) have been more mature than this....

http://www.veritography.com/mt-archives/2006/12/on_the_origin_o.html

Thoughts?

I don't really get his problem. People have to have their first job someplace. Residency is a training period. Surgery has a longer training period than most -- 5+ years. By the time any traditional student is done training, he will have put in quite a few years of training. If you engaged a large law firm to handle a matter for you, you'd be lucky if most of the work was done by someone with 5+ years experience.

On certain points, I agree with the blog..but some of it is over the top.

There are docs out there that have never learned how to deal with people in a work environment.

My wife, a nurse, can attest to this being a very bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
He comes off to me as angry, unhappy and certainly self-righteous. Ok, so these kids are young and many are straight shots out of college, they will grow up.

Personally, his admissions of theft and intentionally hurting patients bothers me more than stories of people pooping on cars and drawing smiley faces on penises. Their stories are of immaturity that will pass, his display an underlying anger and avarice. You don't necessarily grow out of those personality faults.

Some dude got caught trying to sneak into the cadaver lab to have sex with his girlfriend among the multilated bodies. That dude is f***ing awesome!!! JUST KIDDING

Does anyone else think that is just freaking sick. Think about it. Not only does that dude want to have sex around a bunch of dead bodies, but his girlfriend does too. Now I have tried to convince girlfriends to have sex in weird places before, with varying success, but in a room full of dead bodies I know the answer is going to be "HELL NO, AND GET THE F*** OUT OF MY APARTMENT RIGHT NOW OR I AM CALLING THE POLICE YOU F***ING SICKO.

Can anyone say Neckerfeliac. I probably spelled that wrong but for those of you unfamiliar with the term it is a person that likes to have sex with dead bodies.

I am sorry to rant about this but I just can't believe that some dude who is one day going to be a doctor would even think about something like that.

I just can't believe that some dude who is one day going to be a doctor would even think about something like that.

Doctor's are "people" long before they decide to be doctors. "People" make a lot of mistakes in their lives. Many of them don't learn from their mistakes until they get caught. Some don't even learn then. I won't tell you about all the stupid things I did, but somewhere in my late 20's things changed, without explanation. For some reason, I no longer had the desire to do really stupid stuff and think it was "cool." I really believe it's some kind of physiological change that takes place. I know too many people my age (42) that this happened to for it to be just a random coincidence.

Doctor's are "people" long before they decide to be doctors. "People" make a lot of mistakes in their lives. Many of them don't learn from their mistakes until they get caught. Some don't even learn then. I won't tell you about all the stupid things I did, but somewhere in my late 20's things changed, without explanation. For some reason, I no longer had the desire to do really stupid stuff and think it was "cool." I really believe it's some kind of physiological change that takes place. I know too many people my age (42) that this happened to for it to be just a random coincidence.

I totally agree with you. My point was their is a difference between getting drunk, doing keg stands on the weekend or even being immature and wanting to have sex amongst dead bodies. Their is nothing abnormal about young people wanting to let off steam and get plastered, (hell I get drunk on the weekends if it doesn't interfere with school), or even have as much sex as possible. But to sneak into a lab to have sex where their are f***ing dead bodies is not only stupid, insane, and disrespectful, it is also sick, and any person that thinks that is okay should not be in charge of taking care of other people's lives. Actually I stand corrected. Their is one doctor that this would be acceptable for, and his name is Dr. Lector.

I don't really get his problem. People have to have their first job someplace. Residency is a training period. Surgery has a longer training period than most -- 5+ years. By the time any traditional student is done training, he will have put in quite a few years of training. If you engaged a large law firm to handle a matter for you, you'd be lucky if most of the work was done by someone with 5+ years experience.

I agree. I was a very traditional student and the only "real jobs" I had before residency were summer jobs. But I think that M3 and M4 years are very much like a real job - you just get the pleasure of paying for it.
;) Long hours, tons of criticism, being micromanaged, etc.

With respect to workplace experience and getting along with folks at work, I just treat people with respect (even those I dislike), respect the medical hierarchy, and take responsibility when I screw up. So far I haven't had any significant problems.