value placed on the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey12

Monkey12
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools actually place a high value on the actual interview? Can it make up for a low MCAT/GPA? Once you get the interview are you on an equal playing field? Probably conditional on school, any thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Monkey12 said:
Which schools actually place a high value on the actual interview? Can it make up for a low MCAT/GPA? Once you get the interview are you on an equal playing field? Probably conditional on school, any thoughts?
Thanks!

I think I remember OHSU saying that the interview is worth 80%. Grades, MCAT, everything else is 20%.

Wow, thats good to hear...I guess I'm curious because it looks like a lot of schools might have their minds made up from the primary looking at raw numbers...That is, it feels like whether or not they grant you an interview doesn't matter much from the secondaries in that they already had their mind made up...Refreshing that some schools might actually listen to what the applicant has to say

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Albany Med puts a high value on the interview. based on my gpa/mcat, i shouldn't have a problem getting into AMC. yet, i didn't get accepted. i guess one of my interviewers didn't like me.

Monkey12 said:
Thanks!

I read under someone's mdapplicants that they set up a follow up interview? Any thoughts on that?

It depends, some people look so good on paper they'd have to really screw up an interview not to get in. Some people have pretty mediocre applications and need to rock an interview to get in.