Vanderbilt 2012

Started by raf7m
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My SO just got accepted to his grad program at Vandy yesterday and we are 99% sure that we are coming!!! I just changed my second look flights so that I have all day Friday to look at apartments. I've been looking for places online, but I'm having a hard time finding apartments with everything we're looking for. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. We want an apartment with:

-washer/dryer
-dishwasher
-pet friendly (I have a big dog)
-walking distance to campus
-rent around $800 or less (could be one bedroom, but preferably two)

What do you guys know about Poston West? It seems to have everything I want and is right by Centennial park (great for walking my VERY active dog!) Any other suggestions? My student host had a two bedroom townhouse with cheap rent and W/D/DW but I can't remember what it was called - I know there are places out there, I just can't find them!
 
Nashville isn't as cheap as I thought it was. Looks like 2 bedroom apts are all over $1000/mo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone interested in doing some climbing during second look? I don't know how else to get in contact with fellow 2012-ers other than this.
 
Still trying to figure that out... Not sure what they mean by "tech tools". It sounds like it could range from electric wheelchairs (which wouldn't be too exciting) to cutting edge imaging & surgical tools (which would be very cool).


did everyone else get the second-look itinerary email today? looks pretty cool! which "meet the faculty" sessions are you guys ranking at the top? radiation oncology and the intensive care ones sound pretty cool. i wonder what that "tech tools to make life easier" is all about though...
 
Still trying to figure that out... Not sure what they mean by "tech tools". It sounds like it could range from electric wheelchairs (which wouldn't be too exciting) to cutting edge imaging & surgical tools (which would be very cool).

I doubt they would bore us with a discussion of wheelchairs...they do want us to come to Vandy, right? I want to know what "Dermatology: Using words to paint pictures" means. Souns a little strange.

Is anyone going to the bagel brunch on Sunday? I'm not Jewish - does that mean I'm not supposed to go? I wasn't sure so I said "not attending" when I RSVP'd. I figure I'll be tired on Sunday anyway.

How dressy do you think the dinner is on Saturday. I was going to wear pants and flats for the daytime activities, but I wonder if I should bring a dress and change before dinner?
 
A little advice -- I would not do tech tools. It is essentially a little presentation on StarPanel, our EMR system and Knowledge Map. You won't use StarPanel much first year, though you'll hear about it, and you will become intimately familiar with KM. I would have much rather done something else.
 
I'm pretty sure no-one on SDN has made one yet. Feel free to do so. I've actually never started one before. And I'm at work, where facebook is blocked by the network filters.

same here...glad that SDN is not blocked.
 
I want to know what "Dermatology: Using words to paint pictures" means. Souns a little strange.

It means using medical vocabulary to describe the characteristics of a pathology (in that case a skin lesion of interest). You spend alot of time in med school learning appropriate vocabulary to state what is going on with the patient in a way that other doctors will understand without having to see the patient.

Just thought I'd also let you guys know that at the "State of the Medical Center Address" yesterday they briefly mentioned some stuff about the med school. Research funding has been rising every year, and growth will be continued by building a new research building connected to the Imaging Science tower (where the anatomy lab is). This new building will continue to help expand the research space here (the new MRB IV which has the beautifully renovated Langford Auditorium gave more new research space) and will looks like it will be beautiful. All in all, Vandy is dedicated to improving its ability to provide the space and resources needed for great research, clinical care, and education. Match was great as you all probably know by now (this year was the first year of students who had all done Emphasis, other than MSTPs of course, to go through match too). The class of 2012 had over 5000 applicants (more than last year's) and only ~900 interviews were given (less than last year).

Anyway, I know some of you have decisions to make in the next month, and that many of the schools you have gotten into have impressive attributes to sway you towards them. Just keep in mind the things that will be truly important to you about where you will spend the next 4 years living and learning!
 
Apparently Alaska just resoundingly said, "$&@$ the Groundhog!" Over the last 24 hours it has averaged 28 degrees and snowed at least two inches. I am soooooo ready for Nashville. Anyone else interested in joining Flaahless and I in checking out the hoops at the student rec facility?
 
I'm excited as hell, but I was hoping for better weather. Looks like rain on Friday and 50's all weekend. Hopefully that won't put a damper on going out at night.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm excited as hell, but I was hoping for better weather. Looks like rain on Friday and 50's all weekend. Hopefully that won't put a damper on going out at night.

Depends on your perspective. That's still 20 degrees warmer than it is here. 😀 Just don't forget the umbrella.
 
I'm excited as hell, but I was hoping for better weather. Looks like rain on Friday and 50's all weekend. Hopefully that won't put a damper on going out at night.
Damn man, you serious? I don't have many rain clothes. Daah well, I fly out in a in 32 hours. I can't wait!!! See yall soon.
 
I never trust weather reports more then a day out... Finger's crossed. I'm sure we'll spend most of our time inside anyway, so it should be fine either way...

Damn man, you serious? I don't have many rain clothes. Daah well, I fly out in a in 32 hours. I can't wait!!! See yall soon.
 
I wish I could be there!! 🙁

Be sure to come back and tell me how much fun you guys had. 🙂 I doubt the rain will too much of an issue if it's anything like how Oklahoma is right now.
 
I'm headed to the airport now. See y'all in a hot second. Safe travels! I'm hoping to God my American Airlines flight from Chicago to Nashville isn't going to be canceled. I'm flying on a CRJ instead of a MD-80 so I might be good.
 
I'm headed to the airport now. See y'all in a hot second. Safe travels! I'm hoping to God my American Airlines flight from Chicago to Nashville isn't going to be canceled. I'm flying on a CRJ instead of a MD-80 so I might be good.
Safe travels man! I leave in 5 hours. Be safe everyone. 👍
 
HOLY CRAP! That is all I have to say at this point.

I gotta say that yall are freakin awesome! (fyi im the guy who had the "birthday" at big bang and had wayyy too much fun both nights...) i totally had no idea the weekend would be that much fun and everybody would be so much fun to chill and go out with. barring a terrible finaid situation/an awesome offer somewhere else, ill see yall come august and working/playing hard with everyone!

btw yall (mostly flaahless) definitely brought out the financially irresponsible side in me...
 
I hope everybody had a good time at Second Look and I hope to see you all here next year!
 
I gotta say that yall are freakin awesome! (fyi im the guy who had the "birthday" at big bang and had wayyy too much fun both nights...) i totally had no idea the weekend would be that much fun and everybody would be so much fun to chill and go out with. barring a terrible finaid situation/an awesome offer somewhere else, ill see yall come august and working/playing hard with everyone!

btw yall (mostly flaahless) definitely brought out the financially irresponsible side in me...
Hahaha Dude! 2nd look was INCREDIBLE! And yeah, I dropped a lot more cash than I should have. It was definitely a pleasure meeting all of you and I hope to see yall in August. Stay up yall!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This thread sure quieted down this week. Post 2nd look exhaustion? When do all think you will start moving down/up/over to Nashville?
 
This thread sure quieted down this week. Post 2nd look exhaustion? When do all think you will start moving down/up/over to Nashville?

Late July probably. I think I'm going down in June to find a place. Craigslist has a few listings, but most of them are for April/May.
 
haha, oh man, i pretty much just finished recovering from that.

i'll probably be there mid-july. i know the academic calendar says that orientation doesn't start till july 31st, but does anyone have any idea when they'll start the other unofficial orientation stuff like the outdoor trips and stuff? i don't know, but i'm guessing that if we're there at least a week before (july 24), we should have time to move in, get settled, and attend all those events.

I don't know the exact dates for MAG/MOO, but if its the same as it was for us (and there's no reason why it wouldn't), then you will have the MOO outings the weekend of August 2-3. MAG will probably be July 29 or 30. MOO is really fun! The official orientation (for you guys it'll be July 31-Aug 1) is pretty mundane.

There were a few people in my class who didn't have apartment leases starting until August 1 which sucked since they had to live in a hotel for the first day or two of orientation. My landlady let me move in a week early on my lease, but sometimes you can't be so fortunate.

It was nice last year to be in Nashville the week before orientation and MAG/MOO. A group of us who were in town started to hang out, we used our class facebook group to send messages to organize going out since we really didnt have each other's numbers and all that then.
 
I was wondering if some of the current students had any thoughts on Dean Gabbe's departure and how (if at all) it might affect things from a student's perspective?
 
I was wondering if some of the current students had any thoughts on Dean Gabbe's departure and how (if at all) it might affect things from a student's perspective?

Probably won't affect much on our end, the people that affect us more are Deans Miller and Rodgers since they deal with the curriculum, student concerns, and the "Dean's Letters" (written by Rodgers). A search committee for a new dean is already together.

Gabbe is only going to be the CEO of the medical center at Ohio State (a much different job than a dean) for 4 years, so he was probably contemplating retirement from administrative work already, probably taking that job as one last big project before retiring.
 
I just got my award:

Non-loan aid = actual parent contribution = $0.00

Looks like 240k+ in debt if I attend. Ouch.
 
I just got my award:

Non-loan aid = actual parent contribution = $0.00

Looks like 240k+ in debt if I attend. Ouch.

Did you at least get some of the Vandy-subsidized loans? How does this package compare to those you've gotten from other schools?
I'm sitting at work being very anxious to go home and check the mail!
 
Did you at least get some of the Vandy-subsidized loans? How does this package compare to those you've gotten from other schools?
I'm sitting at work being very anxious to go home and check the mail!

No Vandy loans either. 8500 sub stafford, 32000 unsub stafford, 18420 grad plus. So nothing, even after all that talk at second look about how few people graduate with more than 150k in loans. And that is with two younger siblings who are full-time undergrad students.
 
No Vandy loans either. 8500 sub stafford, 32000 unsub stafford, 18420 grad plus. So nothing, even after all that talk at second look about how few people graduate with more than 150k in loans. And that is with two younger siblings who are full-time undergrad students.

Hey Wisguy,

I empathize. I received exactly the same aid package today. Vandy is a sweet school; I liked it a lot. But with better aid offers from other great schools, and without a personal or family fortune to draw upon, I've had to rule Vandy out, alas.
 
I got the same ****ty package today as well. It's a lot harder to turn down my state school's scholarship offer now.
 
They gave me just enough to make it worthwhile to go to Vandy instead of my state school...
Better than nothing, at least.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who have decided on Vandy, what lender will you choose? At first glance, Chase looks like the best option, but I'm no expert on loans. Does anyone have any advice/cautionary tales?
 
I'm no expert either, but Chase definitely looks like the best of the options. I've heard many negative things about Sallie Mae, so I'm inclined to stay away from them.
 
Please know that Vandy usually reserves the institutional loans for upperclassmen who are already in a bunch of debt. You will take out a bunch of loans in the first two years and they will be much more generous with need-based scholarship and interest-free loans in the last two years. I ended up with something around $36K in scholarships and $16K in Vandy loans, so that surely takes the break off in the end. Don't despair the first financial aid package and don't use it to calculate your estimated final debt.
 
patzan, if you dont mind sharing, what was your first year finaid package? all loans?
 
Please know that Vandy usually reserves the institutional loans for upperclassmen who are already in a bunch of debt. You will take out a bunch of loans in the first two years and they will be much more generous with need-based scholarship and interest-free loans in the last two years. I ended up with something around $36K in scholarships and $16K in Vandy loans, so that surely takes the break off in the end. Don't despair the first financial aid package and don't use it to calculate your estimated final debt.

That's great news! I've been having nightmares about the amount of debt that I'll have. My mom doesn't make a lot of money and I was surprised at how small my aid was.