Vandy is CALLING TODAY??!! (Hopkins also?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adcom met today, don't know if it was mainly deciding who to interview or who to accept. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Any lucky people get calls today?

Got the call from Dean H on friday (10/28). Int: 9/29.

Members don't see this ad :)
panorama said:
Got the call from Dean H on friday (10/28). Int: 9/29.

Heyyyy Congratulations!! :)

I interviewed 9/30, so now I'm a nervous wreck :p

Anybody know when the next round on Hopkins calls go out?

How many weeks after an interview did they say it would take?

Kazazzle12 said:

Hey, hang in there. All I know is what everyone else knows, they meet every friday to accept and/or interview. The files go to Adcom "roughly" in order of interview date but really in order of completion (which dependsd somewhat on interview date, but also on your interviewer letter and teh speed at which the 3 Adcom reviewers go thru your file and write reccommendations as well). You can try calling (if u haven't already) to see if you are totally complete or will be going to committee soon.

Good luck! I know this thread is filled with hardcore Vandy lovers!

i interviewed at vandy sept. 21 but haven't heard anything yet. i thought we were supposed to hear mid-nov, but now i am confused. anyone who interviewed around that time know what's going on. congrats to all of you that got in! good job!

LolaLee said:
i interviewed at vandy sept. 21 but haven't heard anything yet. i thought we were supposed to hear mid-nov, but now i am confused. anyone who interviewed around that time know what's going on. congrats to all of you that got in! good job!

When I went to my Sept.30th interview, I was told they had everything (LORs) for my file to be complete, but when I checked the status page the week after, it said my recs weren't in. It turns out they had originally put the wrong recs in my file, took them down, but hadn't yet put in the right ones.... Yeah, kind of a mess. Anyway, they straightened it out a week later, but that probably delayed my application from going to committee.

Also, like Panorama mentioned, a lot of it depends on how fast your interviewer and committee members get their reviews in, so applications probably won't be reviewed strictly by interview date.

If you haven't heard by 6 or so weeks after your interview, I would give them a call. Hang in there -- and good luck!

Congrats panorama!! See you at Second Look.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I am starting to get a little worried about Vandy b/c I interviewed Sep. 16th and have heard nothing. I guess I should call them, but I really do not know what to say. Oh well, I guess it is better to bother them and know my file is complete than sit here and worry about it.

UTpremed said:
I am starting to get a little worried about Vandy b/c I interviewed Sep. 16th and have heard nothing. I guess I should call them, but I really do not know what to say. Oh well, I guess it is better to bother them and know my file is complete than sit here and worry about it.

I would call to make sure because I interviewed August 22nd and my file was just complete last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I called. They said they just now downloaded my recs [I sent them in August]. So now I will not hear until after Nov. 14. I will have to say that is not very encouraging. My grandmother's funeral was the day of my first interview, so I freaked out and scheduled it for a few days later. I was in a frenzy and upset. However, I went through the whole process and missed too much school, etc., to interview as soon as possible. Now Vandy doesn't feel like downloading my recs so I am delayed. Thanks Vanderbilt.

Got the Vanderbilt waitlist letter today :(

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

you can add me to the neverending wait list as well. hmm, at least they don't make you *request* a place on their wait-list though...unlike cough UROCH
interviewed 10/3, waitlisted 11/3

Has anyone heard anything from vanderbilt today?

wildcat05 said:
Has anyone heard anything from vanderbilt today?

I called the admissions office today and they told me that my file is complete and a decision has been made but I have to wait to get it in writing. The dean didn't call me...does that mean I'm not in? I want to know right now!!!!

Kazazzle12 said:

Hey, I interviewed 9/30 also. I was the only black girl :p what were you wearing? Anyway, I called and asked about my file, but they said I should be getting a letter soon. I hope it doesn't mean I didn't get in if I don't get a call.

To those who interviewed in Aug or September:

It may be that your interviewer just has not turned in the interview evaluation. This happened to me and someone else on here. So call to make sure. Pretty discouraging and not professional on their part.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
I called the admissions office today and they told me that my file is complete and a decision has been made but I have to wait to get it in writing. The dean didn't call me...does that mean I'm not in? I want to know right now!!!!

From my experience, this means that you are waitlisted. I wouldn't bet money on it, but remain hopeful and positive!

I finally called and got my Vandy interview set up. They mailed me the letter on August 18, but I never got it. I called them in the beginning of September and specifically told them I had been having trouble receiving mail and wanted to check on the status of my application. All the girl would tell me was that I should be hearing from them soon. Not knowing what that meant, I waited and waited until finally calling again this week. They said that I had been invited etc. and I was only able to set up my interview date for Nov. 17.

It really made me mad because I specifically told them I had trouble receiving mail and they still wouldn't tell me that I had been invited for interview. I'm still glad to have one, but with rolling admissions is this going to put me at a huge disadvantage??

Doko said:
From my experience, this means that you are waitlisted. I wouldn't bet money on it, but remain hopeful and positive!
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I wish they could just tell me, my stomach is in knots, I have to know :scared: :scared:

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I wish they could just tell me, my stomach is in knots, I have to know :scared: :scared:

Someone on SDN, said that if they don't call you and send you a letter, that means either rejection or waitlist.

On the bright side of things: Waitlist is not necessarily bad news cuz it means you still have a fighting chance. I know many friends at other medical schools (not Vandy but some state schools) who were waitlisted everywhere but fortunate enough to get in off the waitlist. So keep up the faith. :D :D

I got a call from Dean Helderman today :) (I interviewed on 10/10)

First off, congrats linx!

Also, I called yesterday and was told that my letter was in the mail... I haven't received it yet, which is a little worrying given that a letter should not take 5 days to get from Nashville to Baltimore.

Question: has anyone received an acceptance by letter but received NO Phone Call?

jhrugger

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Hey, I interviewed 9/30 also. I was the only black girl :p what were you wearing? Anyway, I called and asked about my file, but they said I should be getting a letter soon. I hope it doesn't mean I didn't get in if I don't get a call.

I was the only Indian girl .. haha :p

jhrugger - Don't hinge everything on the speed of the US Postal Service. Letters often take several days to get from Nashville to my hometown in Arkansas, and Baltimore's a little farther away.

Does Hopkins only call on Monday's?

Also, does anyone know the timeline from interview to call or waitlist?

Wiggy73 said:
jhrugger - Don't hinge everything on the speed of the US Postal Service. Letters often take several days to get from Nashville to my hometown in Arkansas, and Baltimore's a little farther away.
WAITLISTED! Bah!!! I got the stooopid letter yesterday:

Dear Applicant:

We almost decided you were good enough but then we thought, "ehh, not so much." We'd like to take this opportunity to string you along even further. Please continue your excruciating wait.

Signed,
Your top choice school

P.S. Try not to call us every week, it's better to suffer in silence.

I feel like Vandy broke up with me :laugh: I keep looking at the web page and thinking of what could have been. Then I find reasons why I wouldn't be happy there anyway. My parents are telling me it's their loss
*sigh* that's ok...I didn't like them that much anyway...

Waitlisted isn't the end of the world. Wait till spring when all those with multiple acceptances start withdrawing. I bet you anything that some of those kids from the first batch will also get accepted to Harvard or Wash U or University of Hawaii:) and decide not to go...

What's most annoying about being on a waiting list is that you have the option to keep selling yourself in these stupid update letters. I feel compelled to send them, yet what am I going to say? "Dear Vandy, just letting you know I quit my job and I'm now bumming around. It's been real fun though, and I'll be well-rested and totally energetic for next fall! Hope to see you then! xoxo"

Oh well. They probably have like 500 people on the waitlist. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope they don't read update letters anyway.

Waitlist letter in the mail today. I guess I will just send update letters until May (when the letter said the adcom would look at the waitlist). Vandy is my first choice and MUSC is my second, so at least I can be content with that (got in there last week!). But boy would it be nice to go to Vandy :rolleyes:

Good luck everybody!

jhrugger

Has anyone heard from vandy today?

does anyone know how Vandy's deferment works? do you wait for an acceptance before telling them, like most places?

Does anyone know what the turnaround time for Vandy is? I interviewed almost a month ago, and am anxiously waiting for a reply *crosses fingers*.

midwesternguy said:
Does anyone know what the turnaround time for Vandy is? I interviewed almost a month ago, and am anxiously waiting for a reply *crosses fingers*.

I got my waitlist letter November 7 after my interview September 23. Good luck!

midwesternguy said:

Call and make sure your file is complete. I interviewed on August 22nd and have yet to hear anything because my interviewer turned in her letter a week or two ago!

wildcat05 said:
Call and make sure your file is complete. I interviewed on August 22nd and have yet to hear anything because my interviewer turned in her letter a week or two ago!

How can you check when your interviewer handed in their letter?

ti89 said:
How can you check when your interviewer handed in their letter?

If its been over a month since you interviewed, I would just call to make sure your file is complete. When I called they told me something was missing from my file but it was nothing that I was responsible for turning in. I assumed it had to be my interviewer's letter, and from talking to other people and admissions again I'm sure thats what it was.

does anyone know how Vandy's deferment works? do you wait for an acceptance before telling them, like most places?
It's tough to defer an acceptance that you don't have.

Waitlisted today. Interviewed 8/23 but was only complete about three weeks ago. 36R, 3.9, kinda expected it.

you must go to a state school

pcarlson05 said:
went to Stanford.
Ohhhh....ZING!
I didn't understand that state school assumption either.

That's my bad, I just figured that to be rejected with great stats like that, you probably went to a state school. It's just been my experience that Vandy doesn't like folks from the public system

argonana said:
why were you expecting it?

Though I performed well academically, I believe my ECs and LORs were solid, but not necessarily spectacular. With Vanderbilt being such a great school, they get applications from some of the best applicants in the nation. I guess I simply believe it would be foolish of me to expect an acceptance to any top med school, especially since there are so many qualified applicants.

Anyway, I'm not totally bummed since everything now is beyond my control. I hope to have better success at some other schools, but if not, then it won't be the end of the world. I'll just get back on the horse and try again next year...

Best of luck to everyone else.

aumed22 said:
That's my bad, I just figured that to be rejected with great stats like that, you probably went to a state school. It's just been my experience that Vandy doesn't like folks from the public system

Oh, and technically it wasn't a rejection. Plus, Vanderbilt does interview something like four people for every one person they accept.