Various RN to MD Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magkaffee

Pre-post-bacc, lol
Reaction score
I have been looking through these forums for a while now and I hope that this thread isn't repetitive.

Background: 24/F, finishing BSN in April, then doing post-bacc for med school, cGPA and sGPA 3.6

1) When asked the "why not NP/PA?" question, would it sound insulting to say that "I desire the challenge, rigor, and knowledge gained in medical school; NP/PA school simply does not compare to the intensity of medical school/residency." Would that rub an adcom the wrong way?

2) I did not get a 4.0 in nursing school. Does it sound bad to be honest and say that I didn't get all A's because nursing school didn't challenge me and therefore I didn't give 100%?

3) When applying for RN jobs, how can I answer the "where do you see yourself in ___ years?" question when employers ask it to feel out your commitment to the job and I am ultimately trying to leave the RN field before I have even been hired?

4) Would it be beneficial, detrimental, or neither to try and get hired as an RN at a university (OHSU) that I want to apply to while I work on my prerequisites?

Thanks for your input or referencing me to any previous threads that you think I should look at. :)

Edit: to make it not a wall of text

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, I only read the first question (It’s a long post ;)) Here’s my 2 cents, but take it with a grain of salt. I’ve never been in your shoes nor do I know your story.

I would be honest about the PA/NP thing and say exactly what you said here. Say that you struggle answering that question because you do value the role of all the healthcare providers that make up the team. Ultimately it comes down to your belief that you want to help patients the best way YOU can, and for YOU, that means doctor. The one thing doctors have that PA/NP do not, is “final say”, which means you are the strongest voice for the patient when they are not around. You are their advocate, and you want to be able to uphold their autonomy.

Reactions: 1 user
Not going to lie, I only read the first question (It’s a long post ;)) Here’s my 2 cents, but take it with a grain of salt. I’ve never been in your shoes nor do I know your story.

I would be honest about the PA/NP thing and say exactly what you said here. Say that you struggle answering that question because you do value the role of all the healthcare providers that make up the team. Ultimately it comes down to your belief that you want to help patients the best way YOU can, and for YOU, that means doctor. The one thing doctors have that PA/NP do not, is “final say”, which means you are the strongest voice for the patient when they are not around. You are their advocate, and you want to be able to uphold their autonomy.

I trimmed it down significantly. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) When asked the "why not NP/PA?" question, would it sound insulting to say that "I desire the challenge, rigor, and knowledge gained in medical school; NP/PA school simply does not compare to the intensity of medical school/residency." Would that rub an adcom the wrong way?

And when they respond that many health professionals are challenging and rigorous? Depends on your interviewer, but may not pass mustard.

2) I did not get a 4.0 in nursing school. Does it sound bad to be honest and say that I didn't get all A's because nursing school didn't challenge me and therefore I didn't give 100%?

And so when a patient is boring to you you aren't going to give 100%? That's the inference they will make with this statement.

3) When applying for RN jobs, how can I answer the "where do you see yourself in ___ years?" question when employers ask it to feel out your commitment to the job and I am ultimately trying to leave the RN field before I have even been hired?

If you are looking for a gap year job, get a gap year job. Don't take the resources of this position when you know you aren't going to use them appropriately.

4) Would it be beneficial, detrimental, or neither to try and get hired as an RN at a university (OHSU) that I want to apply to while I work on my prerequisites?
Won't help or hurt.

Reactions: 2 users
1. You'll want to develop a nuanced reply to this. It's not the knowledge or the rigor of medical school but what you'll do with that knowledge when you're an MD/DO.
2. Nononono. Telling anyone in this process that you did something important and didn't give it 100% is deadly. I wouldn't hire you as a babysitter if you said that. It's unlikely they'll call out BSN grades but the answer to any question about low grades is "I've learned how to study more efficiently and as I've matured I'm a better student who is able to get high grades/master the material." or something like that.
3. When interviewers ask this they are not looking for a contract and commitment for you to stay there as an RN for 3-5 years. Just say that you hope to have a challenging position after you get RN experience and you don't know if that will be as a charge nurse, a nurse educator on a unit or what. If pressed just say you simply don't have enough experience as a nurse to know.
4. Working at a teaching hospital may get you exposure to med students and residents which might be useful. You may also be able to get a volunteer research position through contacts. It's not a bad thing if you don't work at OHSU but it might be good.

I have been looking through these forums for a while now and I hope that this thread isn't repetitive.

Background: 24/F, finishing BSN in April, then doing post-bacc for med school, cGPA and sGPA 3.6

Thanks for your input or referencing me to any previous threads that you think I should look at. :)

Edit: to make it not a wall of text

1) just answer this question in a way that puts medical school in a good light without putting the NP/PA curriculum down.

2) please dont say that, it doesnt sound good. I'm sure adcoms expect you to try your best in everything that you do, whether you are challenged or not.

3) Just say you're not sure where you see yourself in ___ years but you are excited for the opportunity to be a part of their team and you will "give it your all" while employed there. Whatever you do, dont mumble your way through this question or go on and on just to avoid the question. We just had a nurse applicant do that, it was painful to sit through. No, she was not hired.

4) it can work for you or against you, it all depends whether or not you befriend or piss off the wrong nurse/doc/therapist/CNA/janitor/phlebotomist the next few years. Whatever you do and wherever you work in Portland/Vancouver (I assume you're in the NW)... just remember the physicians and staff rounding at Milwaukee, Portland Prov, Legacy, Kaiser, Southwest..etc may also be rounding at OHSU.

Just dont be "THAT" nurse. You know, the one who makes all the other nurses feel like you're better than them because you will be going to med school. Nurses are great... but dont ever forget the old adage: "nurses eat their young".

Healthcare is a tiny bubble and the person sitting on OHSU's Adcom 2 years from now may know someone who knows somebody who knows you and the way you work... chances are, that somebody will be a friend of that nurse (w/20yrs of experience) you dare challenged and questioned 2 years prior.

Keep your head down, be reliable, help your co-workers, dont be the "know-it-all new nurse", and please dont tell everyone you're planning to go to med school.

Play the game, but play it smart.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1) and 2) give the air of immaturity or better than thou-ness. You should focus on why medicine attracts you vs why you are running away from another option.
3) There are interview books for this answer. Usually something along the lines of wanting to grow and take on more responsibilities is a solid option.
4) Can be good if you are a good employee and can build a solid relationship with some of the docs there who can write an addditional LOR for you or pull some strings for you when admissions time rolls around.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep your head down, be reliable, help your co-workers, dont be the "know-it-all new nurse", and please dont tell everyone you're planning to go to med school.

Best of luck to you!
Perfect advice but I'd add that you might want to consider not telling ANYONE that you're planning to go to med school, at least until you're closer or until you know your coworkers.

1.) Don't put down the NP/PA curriculum, instead gloat about the MD/DO program and how you believe it matches your future goals more accurately. You will be able to have more direct intervention of patient care being a physician... branch off of that.
2. no,no,no. don't say that.
3. You don't have to be completely honest, but you don't have to lie either. "I see myself in a healthcare setting with direct patient contact and exposure. I have not decided if I want to go back to school to pursue further education, but I am very pasionate about learning all I can in order to become a better healthcare provider."
4. I'd say getting hired as an RN ANYWHERE would be beneficial. It would give you the clinical experience in a job setting that a lot of premeds struggle to get. A lot are forced to volunteer their time for no compensation, which sucks... volunteering for non-profit organizations is noble and shows great character, volunteering for big corporations that are too stingy to pay people sucks... IMO

1) That’s a bad reason for wanting to go to medical school.
2) That’s a bad excuse for doing poorly.
3) Don’t lie just say something vague and optimistic.
4) Probably won’t hurt or help. I’m assuming you live in Oregon because you mentioned OHSU? Apply very broadly and consider that your dream school.

Last edited:
1) That’s a bad reason for wanting to go to medical school.
2) That’s a bad excuse for doing poorly.
3) Don’t lie just say something vague and optimistic.
4) Probably won’t hurt or help. I’m assuming you live in Oregon because you mentioned OHSU? Apply very broadly and consider that your dream school.

Thanks for your input. I just want to say that my response for 1 isn't my only reason. I had much more written out but it was a lot of text and I didn't think anyone was going to read it. I know I need to work on my elevator spiel. And yes, I live in OR which is the only reason I mentioned OHSU. I do plan on applying broadly.

1.) Don't put down the NP/PA curriculum, instead gloat about the MD/DO program and how you believe it matches your future goals more accurately. You will be able to have more direct intervention of patient care being a physician... branch off of that.
2. no,no,no. don't say that.
3. You don't have to be completely honest, but you don't have to lie either. "I see myself in a healthcare setting with direct patient contact and exposure. I have not decided if I want to go back to school to pursue further education, but I am very pasionate about learning all I can in order to become a better healthcare provider."
4. I'd say getting hired as an RN ANYWHERE would be beneficial. It would give you the clinical experience in a job setting that a lot of premeds struggle to get. A lot are forced to volunteer their time for no compensation, which sucks... volunteering for non-profit organizations is noble and shows great character, volunteering for big corporations that are too stingy to pay people sucks... IMO

Awesome, many thanks for your reply! I'm taking ideas from what everyone is saying and it's quite helpful. I really appreciate it!

1) and 2) give the air of immaturity or better than thou-ness. You should focus on why medicine attracts you vs why you are running away from another option.
3) There are interview books for this answer. Usually something along the lines of wanting to grow and take on more responsibilities is a solid option.
4) Can be good if you are a good employee and can build a solid relationship with some of the docs there who can write an addditional LOR for you or pull some strings for you when admissions time rolls around.

That better than thou-ness is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, not doing so great at it! Thanks for your advice. I'd never thought about looking for interview books, that's a great idea. Is there one in particular that you like?

1) just answer this question in a way that puts medical school in a good light without putting the NP/PA curriculum down.

2) please dont say that, it doesnt sound good. I'm sure adcoms expect you to try your best in everything that you do, whether you are challenged or not.

3) Just say you're not sure where you see yourself in ___ years but you are excited for the opportunity to be a part of their team and you will "give it your all" while employed there. Whatever you do, dont mumble your way through this question or go on and on just to avoid the question. We just had a nurse applicant do that, it was painful to sit through. No, she was not hired.

4) it can work for you or against you, it all depends whether or not you befriend or piss off the wrong nurse/doc/therapist/CNA/janitor/phlebotomist the next few years. Whatever you do and wherever you work in Portland/Vancouver (I assume you're in the NW)... just remember the physicians and staff rounding at Milwaukee, Portland Prov, Legacy, Kaiser, Southwest..etc may also be rounding at OHSU.

Just dont be "THAT" nurse. You know, the one who makes all the other nurses feel like you're better than them because you will be going to med school. Nurses are great... but dont ever forget the old adage: "nurses eat their young".

Healthcare is a tiny bubble and the person sitting on OHSU's Adcom 2 years from now may know someone who knows somebody who knows you and the way you work... chances are, that somebody will be a friend of that nurse (w/20yrs of experience) you dare challenged and questioned 2 years prior.

Best of luck to you!

I generally am the keep-my-head-down type of person and I haven't told anyone beyond this thread that I want to pursue medical school and probably won't until I am actually sending out applications or asking for LORs. PDX is absolutely a small area, they talk about that aspect a lot at my school, and that's a great point that you brought up in 4.

Thanks so much for your reply! :)

1. You'll want to develop a nuanced reply to this. It's not the knowledge or the rigor of medical school but what you'll do with that knowledge when you're an MD/DO.
2. Nononono. Telling anyone in this process that you did something important and didn't give it 100% is deadly. I wouldn't hire you as a babysitter if you said that. It's unlikely they'll call out BSN grades but the answer to any question about low grades is "I've learned how to study more efficiently and as I've matured I'm a better student who is able to get high grades/master the material." or something like that.
3. When interviewers ask this they are not looking for a contract and commitment for you to stay there as an RN for 3-5 years. Just say that you hope to have a challenging position after you get RN experience and you don't know if that will be as a charge nurse, a nurse educator on a unit or what. If pressed just say you simply don't have enough experience as a nurse to know.
4. Working at a teaching hospital may get you exposure to med students and residents which might be useful. You may also be able to get a volunteer research position through contacts. It's not a bad thing if you don't work at OHSU but it might be good.

Haha! Gotcha. Sometimes it takes hearing it from someone else to grasp how stupid something is. Thanks for your help!

That better than thou-ness is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, not doing so great at it! Thanks for your advice. I'd never thought about looking for interview books, that's a great idea. Is there one in particular that you like?
Any library will have good interview books but an online source Askamanager.com is very good and has lots of job interviewing/hunting advice.

@magkaffee Cracking the Nursing Interview by Jim Keogh is a better resource that is more pertinent to where you need to be in six months time than a generic interview book. There are also an amazing list of questions that you could actually work on if you did a simple Google search for nursing interview responses & answers that cost no $$$. On anecdote, OHSU's nurse internship program is extremely selective and based on your responses my impression is that you will be screened out by HR before you even reach a nurse unit oriented interview.