various

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmcsierra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a job as workstudy in a bio, microbio, phys, and anatomy lab. I am also contemplating a hospice volunteer position. what are the value of each? if time becomes an issue, which will be more helpful for applying?

i am a sophomore mech engineering student. i have only taken one semester of gen chem. i think i can get out of here in 4 years if i take orgo over the summer and maybe another 4 credit class the next summer and am able to take the august mcat my junior year. is it ok to take the august mcat of you junior year and what are the pros and cons? would you recommend taking the 4 year route or relaxing and doing it in 4.5 years and having easy summers and maybe taking minimal credits while studying for mcats and applying?

thanks a lot,

ps, judd davies, are you in here? if so, congrats on osu!

Members don't see this ad.

So many questions. I'll take on a few of them.

If you take orgo over the summer (or even your junior year, since it is two semesters), why couldn't you take the MCAT in April?

As for cramming it in or spreading the coursework out, it depends on how demanding your other classes are, and how much freedom you have with your schedule as an engineering major. I know my engineering friends typically only have room for one elective per semester, but even with that you should be able to take the MCAT by next April. Take orgo 1 in the spring, orgo 2 in the summer, bio 1 (if you haven't taken it) in the fall, bio 2 in the spring, and MCAT in April.

The reason I'm pushing for getting things done before the April MCAT is that I think it's an advantage to take it then. It isn't the end of the world to take the August MCAT, but you will be faced with some disadvantages. First, it will be impossible to have a completed primary application before October, because that's when your scores will come in. By that point, most people will be either done with secondaries or finishing them up, and many people will be hearing about interviews. So you will be a little behind the curve, but not out of the game. Also, if you take the April MCAT and bomb it, you can use August as a backup. If you take it in August, you're stuck with that score for that year.

As for your work experience, it depends on what you want to go into. If you're looking at MD/PhD and the research end of things, then lab experience is more valuable. If you're looking at primary care, hospice will be more useful. But you shouldn't look at activities in terms of their usefulness in your application, but more as a way to get some experience in your future field.

i have not taken bio yet. i will have to take second sem chem this spring before i can take orgo. i thought there were two terms in the summer, but i am probably wrong b/c i have never been in summer school. is it smart to take the mcat when you are half way done with a course such as bio or orgo?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am undecided about working this lab job. i started working 10 hours per week, but last semester i needed all of my spare time, and i'm thinking this semester will be harder. i quit today, but konw what kind of a great opportunity it is. i keep thinking about how im going to get in studying time all day during my classes and can't concentrate not to mention being a bit tired. i also keep trying to talk myself out of med school (the ole' no light at the end of the tunnel scenario) med schools obviously aren't going to say, well you worked 10 hours and not 11 per week, so you're not in, but i'm wondering if it will do me any good to work maybe 3 hours per week? i'm also possibly applying to volunteer at hospice, but only want a few hours maybe on the weekends. will these give me a large advantage being short hours? i'm still undecided whether i want to do a combined phd/md or just straight md. i think the combined may be cool, as i am an engineering major.

Here's some more 0.02 !

If you can do the lab for 3 hours a week that is still a way to keep your hand in, as they say. Then maybe you might find you like it, or there is some way to exapnd your hours or even come back in the summer. See what sort of options there might be.

The volunteering could also be neat, and if you like it then it might not be such a strain on your time. I found I liked my volunteer work and it gave me energy, but I also had to give up some stuff because the sheer numbers of hours required for studying.

You have some time and there's no need to rush; the most important thing, I felt was to do the best I could in my courses and see where the voluntering and EC's fell into place. A grade is 'forever', while the other stuff is moveable.

Good luck !

If you're really considering applying to MD/PhD programs, you definitely need the lab experience! At least for the NIH-funded MSTP schools I'm applying to, lab experience is required. Maybe you could do a few hours in the lab and a few hours in the hospice program each week (maybe hospice on the weekend? I'm not sure how those work really). I think that more than anything, you should put your time into whichever activity(ies) you enjoy.