shadowing at a free clinic with various specialities vs shadowing in one specific specialty

Started by doxlol
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doxlol

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m currently shadowing a physician who works at a free clinic to provide care for many underserved populations. I have the opportunity to shadow more physicians in the clinic, in various specialties, and I was wondering how this shadowing experience would compare to traditional shadowing a physician in one type of specialty over a long period of time? Would I be seen as simply jumping from specialty to specialty without much interest in any of them or would it be seen as a cool experience that I got to see various specialities while simultaneously learning about free clinics? I’m passionate about working with underserved people, so I was hoping the latter might be the case. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
 
Since shadowing is a passive activity, it doesn't hold much weight in admissions besides checking a box. The greatest benefit of shadowing is for you to see the day in the life of a physician and for you to understand what you're getting into in medicine. Choose whichever shadowing opportunity you're more passionate about. I would personally try to see as many specialties as possible, so I would go with the free clinic.
 
I’m currently shadowing a physician who works at a free clinic to provide care for many underserved populations. I have the opportunity to shadow more physicians in the clinic, in various specialties, and I was wondering how this shadowing experience would compare to traditional shadowing a physician in one type of specialty over a long period of time? Would I be seen as simply jumping from specialty to specialty without much interest in any of them or would it be seen as a cool experience that I got to see various specialities while simultaneously learning about free clinics? I’m passionate about working with underserved people, so I was hoping the latter might be the case. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Continue at free clinic and shadow different specialists. You don’t need lot of hours with one physician. My son shadowed 6 or 7 physicians, 2 full days with each one over 4 years.