VCOM - Auburn Accredited to Start 2015

Started by medickdb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These new schools really do their students a great disservice, when they open with a class size of 150, then force some of their students into very poor rotations because they don't have enough quality slots.
 
These new schools really do their students a great disservice, when they open with a class size of 150, then force some of their students into very poor rotations because they don't have enough quality slots.

Tbh, I won't be surprised if half their class is shipped to NC/SC/VA.
 
Why would you say it's that bad?

It's not like LUCOM is opening up a satellite campus. Crap, did I just give them an idea?

Because their access to rotations and residencies will be, to put it nicely not the best. There really wasn't a "need" for another campus in Auburn. And that they are planning to open already for this cycle with a large class.
 
Because their access to rotations and residencies will be, to put it nicely not the best. There really wasn't a "need" for another campus in Auburn. And that they are planning to open already for this cycle with a large class.
Most newer schools are opening with a class of 150. OU's extension campus in Dublin is the only one I can think of that hasn't.
 
Last edited:
Because their access to rotations and residencies will be, to put it nicely not the best. There really wasn't a "need" for another campus in Auburn. And that they are planning to open already for this cycle with a large class.
Most newer schools are opening with a class of 150. OU's extension campus in Athens is the only one I can think of that hasn't.
COCA allows schools to enroll another 8% on top of their approved class size. Therefore they will probably have 162 students.
 
No, I know. I'm just saying. It had the sense to only have a class of 50 there for its first class.

Yah, I was mostly just being tangential and driving distinctions between established universities that really are solid and those that really aren't.

And it's not surprising that OU-HCOM made a branch campus with just 50 students. Oucom is obviously not in for the money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yah, I was mostly just being tangential and driving distinctions between established universities that really are solid and those that really aren't.

And it's not surprising that OU-HCOM made a branch campus with just 50 students. Oucom is obviously not in for the money.
and their other campus at one of the cleveland clinic hospitals will only have 32 students/year
 
LCME should be the accrediting body for ALL (MD/DO) schools so med schools wont turn into Pharm schools in the next 5-10 years...

Medicine won't turn into pharm, there will be a demand for physicians because the limiting factor for becoming a physician , residency slots, has remained static over the years. What you will have, is increased competition for residency slots and a lot of people going unmatched or taking the least desirable residencies that nobody but IMGs want, the match should be fun to watch in a few years .
 
Who will win the branch campus war? Touro, LECOM and now VCOM are head to head.

For what it is worth LECOM still holds an enormous grasp on residencies and while they enroll over 500 students a year, they have seemed to remain solidly mid tier.

VCOM however is a small school with a small amount of resources and no significant OPTI. Their expansion only harms the prospects of students at their main campus in VCOM as it allocates money that could be spent bettering their students.
 
Optometry is just as bad. Honestly all of these allied health doctorates are beginning to stink worse than rot and decay.
Pharmacy, optometry, and soon vet and dental will probably all be glutted. Pharmacy is particularly suffering, partly because of advances in dispensing technology that are killing jobs and a MASSIVE (100+%) increase in enrollment.

but I think the competitiveness of DO does not match up what it offers.
 
Last edited:
Pharmacy, optometry, and soon vet and dental will probably all be glutted. Pharmacy is particularly suffering, partly because of advances in dispensing technology that are killing jobs and a MASSIVE (100+%) increase in enrollment.

I have always thought the competitiveness of DO doesn't match up at all what it offers. I think in coming years applying DO will be like "buying low".

buying low?

Honestly, at this point I think we need to honestly admit that our entire generation is so screwed. We have the highest debt, the highest entry requirements, and yet the worst prospects for securing jobs. Law is dead. Allied health is dead. Engineering is offering slave wages. Nursing requires experience. Medicine is unreachable or pushes graduates into poorer prospects.

We're honestly living in some of the worst times ever and no one wants to even admit it.
 
Yeah... I heard people are getting into pharm schools these days with <3.0 c/sGPA and 30%+ percentile PCAT. That is crazy!
You don't even have to take the PCAT to get into Purdue pharm school which is ranked as one of the top programs in the nation! My school sends tons of students to Purdue pharm every year and most of the ones I know scored well below the average on the PCAT, had a so so GPA, and didn't even graduate with a degree since the requirement is a minimum of 90 credit hours along with the pre-reqs. Its a joke!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
buying low?

Honestly, at this point I think we need to honestly admit that our entire generation is so screwed. We have the highest debt, the highest entry requirements, and yet the worst prospects for securing jobs. Law is dead. Allied health is dead. Engineering is offering slave wages. Nursing requires experience. Medicine is unreachable or pushes graduates into poorer prospects.

We're honestly living in some of the worst times ever and no one wants to even admit it.

but someone with a 3.3/24 can rather easily (I know you will disagree) get into a DO school, do a noncompetitive residency like FM, and still have a solid-paying career with good job prospects (as of now).

and are all allied health fields really dead? I thought PA was still doing well.
 
buying low?

Honestly, at this point I think we need to honestly admit that our entire generation is so screwed. We have the highest debt, the highest entry requirements, and yet the worst prospects for securing jobs. Law is dead. Allied health is dead. Engineering is offering slave wages. Nursing requires experience. Medicine is unreachable or pushes graduates into poorer prospects.

We're honestly living in some of the worst times ever and no one wants to even admit it.
AGREED...and pretty soon hospitals will be hiring "cheaper" nurse pracs to take over the PCPs jobs!!! (oh wait that's already happening)
 
You don't even have to take the PCAT to get into Purdue pharm school which is ranked as one of the top programs in the nation! My school sends tons of students to Purdue pharm every year and most of the ones I know scored well below the average on the PCAT, had a so so GPA, and didn't even graduate with a degree since the requirement is a minimum of 90 credit hours along with the pre-reqs. Its a joke!

Honestly most pharm schools happily take cc students all the time.
 
but someone with a 3.3/24 can rather easily (I know you will disagree) get into a DO school, do a noncompetitive residency like FM, and still have a solid-paying career with good job prospects (as of now).

and are all allied health fields really dead? I thought PA was still doing well.

PA is solid, nursing is alright, DO is fine. I think we should all be really freaken happy that DO is still an open door, but the question is how long.
 
buying low?

Honestly, at this point I think we need to honestly admit that our entire generation is so screwed. We have the highest debt, the highest entry requirements, and yet the worst prospects for securing jobs. Law is dead. Allied health is dead. Engineering is offering slave wages. Nursing requires experience. Medicine is unreachable or pushes graduates into poorer prospects.

We're honestly living in some of the worst times ever and no one wants to even admit it.

I have always believed that if you want be near the money then you have to be in a profession that decides where it goes.

Physicians, Engineers and Nurses don't decide where money goes. They're too busy working.

There is a reason more and more grads are going into administrative positions and leaving clinical behind.

I was asking because according to Wikipedia, OUCOM was planning on opening a satellite campus in Dublin in 2015.

I think that site is already open? I sent my secondary to OU-HCOM and it was one of the options.

Did not know about that... I think COCA should put a brake on the expansion...

Why? I think it will be a great campus.
 
buying low?

Honestly, at this point I think we need to honestly admit that our entire generation is so screwed. We have the highest debt, the highest entry requirements, and yet the worst prospects for securing jobs. Law is dead. Allied health is dead. Engineering is offering slave wages. Nursing requires experience. Medicine is unreachable or pushes graduates into poorer prospects.

We're honestly living in some of the worst times ever and no one wants to even admit it.


The WHO is making all the money???? Where are the "gem" careers nowadays?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The job market is terrible across all professions. We need old people to retire already and provide the younger generations with more job opportunities.

In their defense, a lot of the older people in the job market are just trying to work until they can retire safely.