VCOM Auburn vs ACOM vs LECOM SH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FresherThanTide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to receive acceptances at all three of these schools and I'm having trouble choosing one to put down my deposit. I was hoping you guys could help me decide.

ACOM Pros: Rotations locked down through AMEC, great community support, very receptive administration, pay for COMLEX, COMSAE practice tests from beginning, brand new facilities, early clinical exposure
Cons: Somewhat isolated area, no rotations in "big cities", totally new system, required lectures (all of my schools have this), few research opportunities currently, no university affiliation, first class hasn't taken boards or gone to rotations yet
VCOM Auburn Pros: Nice college town, affliation with Auburn University, great research opportunites, brand new facilities, access to materials from all three campuses, outreach programs
Cons: Brand new campus (no older students to rely on), rotations are vague and many will be in other places, most rotations sites are still pretty rural, not much community presence, not a whole lot of help with boards
LECOM SH Pros: College town/suburb like Auburn, oldest out of the three, affiliation with Seton HIll University, near Pittsburgh, lots of variety in rotation sites, PBL (I'm actually on the fence on this), Solid reputation interms of match lists and board scores, lots of help from older students, lowest tuition
Cons: Don't know whether or not I would do well in PBL, no anatomy lab (this is a big one for me), lectures are not recorded, pretty bare in terms of facility

I had been leaning towards VCOM Auburn before but I have been struggling in terms of grades this semester due to the structure of two of my classes as well as all the traveling for interviews. VCOM requires that no grades be lower than B for matriculation or it will go to "committee review" (not sure what that means. I am fairly certain I will be getting 2.0 or 2.5 in two of my classes and I am afraid VCOM will rescind the offer after seeing that. ACOM only requires that I get 2.0 in my classes and I am unclear on what LECOM's requirements are. Please help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does location matter for you? (as far as distance from home)

Members don't see this ad :)
My vote goes to ACOM.

Last edited:
I'd go to Lecom-SH 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: 1 user
While LECOM SH requires attendance, with PBL you won't have to be on campus that often. And cadaver dissection is a waste of time anyway, that would be a non issue for me. As long as you can manage with PBL I would go with LECOM SH. It will give you a lot more free time.

If you are not an in-class auditory learner, mandatory daily lecture attendance will be a major PITA your first 2 years.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are OK with a full PBL curriculum, I'd go with LECOM-SH. Make sure about that ahead of time though. If you end up going there and not liking it, you could always switch to LDP, but you'd have to move to Erie, and that's a lot of classes with mandatory attendance.

Bottom line with PBL is that you really have to be good at the whole self-motivation thing, and obviously you have to be good with reading textbooks. If you can motivate yourself to study regularly, and if you are OK with reading text books, I strongly recommend LECOM PBL.

AZCOM has rotations is Chicago. Not much more "big city" than Chicago!