VCOM/ BLUEFIELD MABS program 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdreamsw

Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

I saw the previous threads and thought i’d create one for the 2022-2023 cycle! Please post below if you’ve applied to the MABS program at bluefield along with your stats and where you are in the process :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. my application was completed on 11/17 and final review on 12/2. still waiting to hear back.
did anyone get accepted yet?

Its awesome that you’re under final review, hopefully you get your acceptance soon!! My application was marked complete and under initial review 12/13/21. If you don’t mind me asking what stats did you apply with?

My Stats
Cum Gpa: 3.2
Sci Gpa: 3.1
Mcat: 498

My stats:
MCAT 498 too!
Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.37
Overall Science: 3.33
I am not from the target region. I am from MI.
But looking at last year's thread, some people had issues with getting accepted after meeting the benchmark which scares me a bit. Do you know anyone personally who went to the program?

My stats:
MCAT 498 too!
Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.37
Overall Science: 3.33
I am not from the target region. I am from MI.
But looking at last year's thread, some people had issues with getting accepted after meeting the benchmark which scares me a bit. Do you know anyone personally who went to the program?
Honestly I don’t think they would reject you because of your location , alot of people from the previous threads were from like midwest and got accepted. I think the ones who didn’t get accepted even though they met the thresholds were people who most likely submitted their apps later in the cycle when the spots where already filled. I don’t know anyone who personally did this program but don’t worry i’m sure you’re about to get your acceptance soon!! Keep us updated :)

Honestly I don’t think they would reject you because of your location , alot of people from the previous threads were from like midwest and got accepted. I think the ones who didn’t get accepted even though they met the thresholds were people who most likely submitted their apps later in the cycle when the spots where already filled. I don’t know anyone who personally did this program but don’t worry i’m sure you’re about to get your acceptance soon!! Keep us updated :)
I meant getting into VCOM after being in the MABS program and meeting the benchmarks but getting rejected after the interview :(
but other than that, I heard really good things about the program!

I meant getting into VCOM after being in the MABS program and meeting the benchmarks but getting rejected after the interview :(
but other than that, I heard really good things about the program!
If you treat the MABS interview like a normal medical school interview then you have nothing to worry about. (Former MABS student)

Reactions: 1 user
If you treat the MABS interview like a normal medical school interview then you have nothing to worry about. (Former MABS student)
Could you please tell us about what your experience was like at the program?

I just got my acceptance last night at 10:30 pm !!

I also received my acceptance!

Cum GPA: 3.5
Science GPA 3.3
MACT : 486 * planning to retake *
Congratulations! We should create a Facebook group chat for accepted students like they did for the previous years.

Hi! Have any of you applied by transferring your DO application to the Masters? Thanks!

I also received my acceptance!

Cum GPA: 3.5
Science GPA 3.3
MACT : 486 * planning to retake *
Congratulation on your acceptance. I am not telling you anything that you and everyone else on this thread already know. Your MCAT score puts you in the high risk category of failing out of medical school. I say this only to focus and motivate you because I really want you to succeed and become a doctor. Now that the easier part is over. The hard part is yet to come. Congrats again and GL future doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys see the website now says, "provide a significant advantage for acceptance into the VCOM D.O. program." before it used to say guaranteed admission. I wonder if they are changing it for the next year?

did you guys see the website now says, "provide a significant advantage for acceptance into the VCOM D.O. program." before it used to say guaranteed admission. I wonder if they are changing it for the next year?

They still have all the benchmarks on the Bluefield website for guaranteed acceptance. They love taking their own students from this program. It's more money and less risk that the student wouldn't be successful. The program was harder than med school. I can't imagine a good reason for them to not want to continue as before.

Could you please tell us about what your experience was like at the program?
Sorry, I saw this late. No problem. I liked the program in general with lectures starting at 8am and ending at 12pm, giving you adequate time to study and digest the material each day as well as figure out which learning styles are best suited to you for each class (as it can change depending on the class). I did extremely well in both semesters using the method of using live lecture time to study, then watching lectures later on at 1.5x speed as I found it to be more time-efficient. My method included learning the material on my own through repetition then meeting with a small group of friends to go through every lecture on the exam slide by slide 1 or 2 days before the test. This not only always kept me in a position to never perform badly on an exam but also greatly benefitted myself and my friends as you'll be surprised how easily you can remember something if your friend explains it to you. Studying exam-to-exam is the key in this program for the first semester. In the second semester, it becomes a little harder to do this therefore it's best to learn how to squeeze in some studying for other exams early on. When it comes to professors: Trust NONE until you've taken at least 1 of their exams to see which professors are actually telling the truth when they tell you that you can skip over certain pieces of information. MABS will definitely make your first block of medical school easier as well as give you little bits of info that you'll see in future blocks. The "must get an A" mentality that MABS will instill in you will have you absolutely killing it in medical school which realistically is an environment where 1+1 = doctor (all you have to do is pass). Lastly, Make sure you go on vacation between MABS and medical school so that you don't carry the burnout from finishing MABS into block 1 :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my acceptance last night at 10:30 pm !!
Congratulations thats awesome!! My application is still under review , I haven’t gotten a final review email yet. I did submit my application about a month after yours so fingers crossed i hear back sooon!

Hi! Have any of you applied by transferring your DO application to the Masters? Thanks!
Yes! You can email the admissions dept at VCOM and let then know you want to withdraw your application and transfer it to the masters program.

Sorry, I saw this late. No problem. I liked the program in general with lectures starting at 8am and ending at 12pm, giving you adequate time to study and digest the material each day as well as figure out which learning styles are best suited to you for each class (as it can change depending on the class). I did extremely well in both semesters using the method of using live lecture time to study, then watching lectures later on at 1.5x speed as I found it to be more time-efficient. My method included learning the material on my own through repetition then meeting with a small group of friends to go through every lecture on the exam slide by slide 1 or 2 days before the test. This not only always kept me in a position to never perform badly on an exam but also greatly benefitted myself and my friends as you'll be surprised how easily you can remember something if your friend explains it to you. Studying exam-to-exam is the key in this program for the first semester. In the second semester, it becomes a little harder to do this therefore it's best to learn how to squeeze in some studying for other exams early on. When it comes to professors: Trust NONE until you've taken at least 1 of their exams to see which professors are actually telling the truth when they tell you that you can skip over certain pieces of information. MABS will definitely make your first block of medical school easier as well as give you little bits of info that you'll see in future blocks. The "must get an A" mentality that MABS will instill in you will have you absolutely killing it in medical school which realistically is an environment where 1+1 = doctor (all you have to do is pass). Lastly, Make sure you go on vacation between MABS and medical school so that you don't carry the burnout from finishing MABS into block 1 :)
Thank you for the in depth information! How was the interview process?

Does anyone know if you go through MABS and get accepted to the DO program can you pick your campus site? I would prefer the SC site and my home state is IL. How does the selection work?

Does anyone know if you go through MABS and get accepted to the DO program can you pick your campus site? I would prefer the SC site and my home state is IL. How does the selection work?
From what i’ve read if they have the capacity to do so they will ask your preference otherwise they will put the students that are native to VA on the VA campus and the others on campuses close to their hometowns but i’m not 100% sure

From what i’ve read if they have the capacity to do so they will ask your preference otherwise they will put the students that are native to VA on the VA campus and the others on campuses close to their hometowns but i’m not 100% sure
Thank you. Do you get to rank your preferences?

Thank you for the in depth information! How was the interview process?
The interview process to move from MABS to VCOM involves a virtual interview with either the MABS director other VCOM admin. It is referred to as an evaluation which makes it sound more lax, however DO NOT take it lightly. Treat it as you would any normal medical school interview and you should have no issues.

Last edited:
Thank you. Do you get to rank your preferences?
They had us rank our preferences, but if you want VA you'd better have a really good reason to stay. My wife had a job secured and was doing really well in her career, but since she was only my "girlfriend" at the time (we'd been together 6 years?) they still sent me to another campus. I was a little bitter about that, but it turned out okay in the end.

They had us rank our preferences, but if you want VA you'd better have a really good reason to stay. My wife had a job secured and was doing really well in her career, but since she was only my "girlfriend" at the time (we'd been together 6 years?) they still sent me to another campus. I was a little bitter about that, but it turned out okay in the end.
Does anyone know if there’s a separate application for the online MABS program? I only want to apply to the online program.

The interview process to move from MABS to VCOM involves a virtual interview with either the MABS director other VCOM admin. It is referred to as an evaluation which makes it sound more lax, however DO NOT take it lightly. Treat it as you would any normal medical school interview and you should have no issues.
what type of questions do they generally ask?

Does anyone know if there’s a separate application for the online MABS program? I only want to apply to the online program.
I was wondering this too. If you don't get accepted into the MABS I wonder if you can apply for the OMABS?

I was wondering this too. If you don't get accepted into the MABS I wonder if you can apply for the OMABS?
I was told the linkage is not the same for the OMABS. The online program only guarantees an interview. Pretty dumb.

Hello guys! Current MABS student here finishing up my spring semester. If y'all have any questions, feel free to message me and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, I highly recommend you guys create your own class GroupMe and share study resources. Professors prefer it and it's a great way to support one another. Good luck!

Last edited:
You're very welcome! And don't thank me with all the credit! This lovely google drive was made by a previous student the year before me and has blessed our class! I contributed to the google drive with some of the anatomy practical answers to help with the studying! Overall, I just wanted to hand down the torch and hopefully, you guys will do the same for future students as well.

And to answer your question, I was really close to reaching the December benchmarks but missed it. I had a 496 MCAT and I was only allowed two B+ grades. Just my luck, I had all A's and two regular B's. But that means my GPA qualifies for the March benchmark! I recently took my MCAT earlier this January, so fingers crossed I got that 498 and I'll be in! From what I heard, a lot of people who got the fall interview now have a seat at VCOM! All very doable, just a lot of material each week. Hopefully, this answered some of your questions!
What do you think was the hardest class in the first semester?

For the research/Biostats class, did you guys have to write a paper?
No but mine was a few years ago. I imagine nothing has really changed. It was just tests on research method/biostats stuff.

For the accepted MABS students for 2022-2023, is there a group chat yet? If not, I can create one

Hi everyone! So I reached out to the coordinator for this program because I still have not heard back from VCOM. She basically told me to wait until I receive a decision and then contact her again so that my application could be moved and be considered for the MABS program. Has anyone been in this similar situation? I'm just wondering if I should wait or go ahead and apply now. Thanks!

Hi everyone! So I reached out to the coordinator for this program because I still have not heard back from VCOM. She basically told me to wait until I receive a decision and then contact her again so that my application could be moved and be considered for the MABS program. Has anyone been in this similar situation? I'm just wondering if I should wait or go ahead and apply now. Thanks!
Hi! So I actually recently transferred my app from the Med program to the master's program. I had yet to hear back from VCOM since being complete in August and decided I'd probably have a better chance with the MABS program. You could wait for a decision because the application closes on April 15th so there is time, but I did hear the earlier the better. I think maybe see when interviews end for VCOM and you could plan around that.

Hi! So I actually recently transferred my app from the Med program to the master's program. I had yet to hear back from VCOM since being complete in August and decided I'd probably have a better chance with the MABS program. You could wait for a decision because the application closes on April 15th so there is time, but I did hear the earlier the better. I think maybe see when interviews end for VCOM and you could plan around that.
Thank you!

What do you think was the hardest class in the first semester?
Sorry, I'm just seeing these messages now. For the fall semester, my hardest classes were biochem and anatomy. I got an A in biochem during undergrad, but a B in MABS bc it goes into so much more detail. As to anatomy, it was going well until we started talking about nerves lol. Those were my only B's

For the research/Biostats class, did you guys have to write a paper?
Since I just had this class last semester, yes we had to write a paper but it was pretty easy and everyone's groups got A's. You're gonna love the research/biostats and health policy classes since they weren't hard sciences and saves the GPA lol

Let me just list the classes that involved papers/a poster (you work in assigned groups):
- Research/biostats = general manuscript
- Community healthy = paper
- Health policy = poster project

Last edited:
Should I create a FB group chat or group me? what do you guys prefer?
My class has both a GroupMe and FB, but we use GroupMe the majority of the time since it's convenient to send messages and not having to add everyone's FB accounts. It's your choice, but we love supporting one another and sharing studying resources in GroupMe. Just also be sure to follow the rules and be on your best behavior even in the chats

Last edited:
Since I just had this class last semester, yes we had to write a paper but it was pretty easy and everyone's groups got A's. You're gonna love the research/biostats and health policy classes since they weren't hard sciences and saves the GPA lol

Let me just list the classes that involved papers/a poster (you work in assigned groups):
- Research/biostats = general manuscript
- Community healthy = paper
- Health policy = poster project
I am a really bad writer in general. Will this hurt my chances of doing well in those classes?

I am a really bad writer in general. Will this hurt my chances of doing well in those classes?
I'd say as long as you work together with your group and answer the requirements on the rubric, it should be good. Haha some of us even resorted to Grammarly to help with the essay flow! Do what you can, these classes are supposed to be helpful

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance!!!! So excited , please add me to the group you guys create 😁
Congrats!!! Did it take the full month for them to get back to you? Mine is in review now but I am hoping to hear back sooner than March! Congrats again!

Hey guys! I just created a group Me link for the 2022-2023 class. Please join if you are accepted!

GroupMe

Also, I would really appreciate it if any previous students could join too because we could really use the guidance :)

Congrats!!! Did it take the full month for them to get back to you? Mine is in review now but I am hoping to hear back sooner than March! Congrats again!
So mine took a while, they sent me an email saying my application was under review around 12/15/21, and then on 02/2/22 they sent another email saying it was under final committee review, and finally on 02/10/22 I got my acceptance! So mine took a little over a month but they did say they were a little backed up, hoping you hear back soon!