VCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VCOMDOC08 said:
Paying for school. I don't want this to up set anyone, but I feel you should know this information; I came to med school with 60K in student loans. As a medical student you are only allowed approx 190,000 in federal sub and non-sub loans, and a total of 230,000 for ALL loans. This means if you have ANY student loans you ARE going to have a problem paying for medical school. Here is an example of the above numbers;

VCOM approx total cost per year. 53,000 total X4 = $212,000

If you dont have any student loans you are ok, but what about $60K

230,000(max on student loans) - 60,000 = 170,000

212,000 - 170,000 = $42,000 I have to come up with 42K in EXTRA money, schalorships, military, rural (small town) schalorships, ect... to pay for school..

Medical school is great. It is HARD, but the reward is worth it. I look forward to meeting each of you, and I hope you have a great time in school.

I am probably answering my question with what I made Bold and Orange in your post. That being said, does that figure also include private loans? That's it, no more than 230,000K. I know that's a lot of moola. Is 53,000K the max per school year as well? We have little debt which should be paid off shortly, but after the 30k tuition and supplies that doesn't seem much to live off of.

Members don't see this ad.

230,000 is the MAXIMUM amount of Federal (anytype) and Private you can get. Now if you contact ACCESS or THE for their max number, THE tell you a TOTAL of 250,000, but ACCESS has told me there is no limit for the private loan side. The school has to approve any loan you get from Feds or private loan companies. With that I will let you know that the FA officer is holding a meeting with the OMSIs in the next few weeks to talk about this, and I will come back on and let you all know what is said. Given that, you know the old saying, "you go where you get in", so if you only got in at VCOM then you have to live with this, but realize you have more time to work on this issue than I did. I have had to look at what TYPE of physician I want to be when I GROW up based on not being able to pay for school. Did you ever see the movie "Soul Man" it is really too funny about this issue.

Get your car payed off

Get your credit cleaned up as much as possible

Get any debet you can payed off

If you are planning any BIG trips think about it, can you save the money and go on a big trip at the end of MSI. You are going to need about 1800 for your laptop, 1000 for books, move in costs, moving costs, ect...ect...

SAVE MONEY so you don't have to live like a true student while you are in med school. Because the school does not have full accreditation you will not be able to apply for some schalorships.

So good luck let me know if you need anything.. Off to neuro tracks - if you don't get it YOU will this time next year...hahahaha hehehehe

Sorry I just looked at your whole question(s)

You have to learn to live off of approx. 1900.00 per month (24,000 total). The MSI budget is approx 53,500.00, which 29,500 ( if they have not increased it for you) is the cost of school. This is not to include books, computer, ect... This only to allow you to sit in school. My wife, daughter and I live off of this amount. If you are single, married, married with one to one hundred it does not matter, the amount is the same. If you have kids and you put them in daycare they will increase the amount, I think approx 5400, but it is private loans and it counts towards the max amount you can get, so my wife did not return to work, she stays home. We went from two cars to one, that is going to be paid off before the end of school, and we used every dime we had to pay off debet. They welcome you to school, but the government sets limits and this school along with most others stick to them.. Remember these limits were set in the 1960s, or at least that is what I have been told.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
HI all of the SDNers that are in the class of 2009.

Accepted students day is just around the corner and those of us in the class of 2008 that are going to be in town are looking forward to coming out and meeting you all that are coming. That day is a good time to come and meet your future classmates, so I would encourage you all to try and make it.

Amy :cool:

Hey guys,

I'm really getting worried about finding housing...I'm looking for a one-bedroom place next to VCOM'ers...I tried Knollwood but its not really available. Does anyone know where I can look for good one bedroom apartments that aren't near VTech undergrads?

Just thought I'd see who all got the message about Myrtle Beach, South Carolina trip on your Vcom email. I'll be going and if anyone wants to car pool let me know. Other wise I'll see ya'll at the accepted students day later that week.

Hey Guys, I have a question about the required notebook computer. Should I get a notebook that's portable? From the sound of it VCOM wants us to use our laptops a LOT, so I'm trying to decide if I should get a more portable computer or something bigger.

Any thoughts from current students? Or others in the c/o 2009?

vivek311r said:
Hey Guys, I have a question about the required notebook computer. Should I get a notebook that's portable? From the sound of it VCOM wants us to use our laptops a LOT, so I'm trying to decide if I should get a more portable computer or something bigger.

Any thoughts from current students? Or others in the c/o 2009?

Hey Everyone,
This is Tori (class of 2008). Yes, you will be using your computer a lot!! People use a lot of different computers and I've seen small, light ones and then also heavy ones. It all depends on what you want to carry around every day and how you study. Some people use their computer for absolutely everything while others prefer to print notes off and study from paper. If you're going to use it 24/7 you might want to go for something more convenient to carry around.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you! I'll actually be at accepted students day so if you have any questions about anything, classes, Blacksburg, medical missions, whatever, just send me a message. See you all soon! Enjoy the rest of your summers!
Tori

Hey guys,

In response to vivek311r, I think i'm gonna go with one of the medium sized Dell notebooks with the VCOM discount. What do you guys think about the Dell computers? I think we can probably get by for around $1500.

In addition to computer requirements, what are some other things we need to purchase prior to start of class? Should we go ahead and buy a stethoscope and oto/ophthalmoscope? If so what models do you recommend?
I'm guessing we probably will not need them to after first block.

Any replys are much appreciated. Look foward to Accepted students day!

I would recommend the Latitude series. They cost a little more, but seem to be holding up better than the Inspirons. The Latitudes are more metal than the plastic Inspirons. I've been using the D600 which is the lightest model with built in CD, and without the widescreen(at least last year--may have changed by now).

As for equipment, by the time you need a stethoscope, VCOM will either take care of it, or let you know what to get. As for the diagnostic kits, we've been using the otoscope/opthalmoscope here at the school and haven't had to have our own so far up to Block 5.

I wouldn't buy any equipment or do anything that you haven't been told by VCOM that you need. Save your $$ as long as you can, and enjoy eating something better than Ramon noodles:):)

jth2bmtsu said:
Hey guys,

In response to vivek311r, I think i'm gonna go with one of the medium sized Dell notebooks with the VCOM discount. What do you guys think about the Dell computers? I think we can probably get by for around $1500.

In addition to computer requirements, what are some other things we need to purchase prior to start of class? Should we go ahead and buy a stethoscope and oto/ophthalmoscope? If so what models do you recommend?
I'm guessing we probably will not need them to after first block.

Any replys are much appreciated. Look foward to Accepted students day!

Hey VCOM '09 folks!!!

I am in the 2nd year class ('07), and I also want to encourage you guys to TAKE THE SUMMER OFF!!!! ENJOY LIFE!!! You will sorely miss it if you don't.

As for stuff you need, we have not needed any equipment beyond a reflex hammer. The steths were given to us. Definitely invest in a great laptop. I use mine everyday.

Don't worry about school right now. Visit with family, go on vacation, sit and read, sit and watch TV, go on hikes, etc.

You all will STILL have time to do that stuff in 1st and 2nd year. But never as carefree as this time now. There will always be some looming test or quiz or reading or lab stuff on the plate, even if you are doing your best to try to ignore it.

The main thing is....you're now Official Med Students (OMS's)!!!!Congratulations and best of luck!

Is Dr. DeFeo leaving? I heard he was...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey c/o 2009! Just got back from blacksburg looking for apartments. For the rest of you that are as late on the housing thing as I am...a lot of places are going fast! I found a one-bedroom at Foxridge, anyone else out there living in copper croft?

So excited about next year... btw hope you guys have fun at accepted students day...i'll be out of town then :( See you guys in august though!

Hi class of 2009. I own townhouse right across street from school.(great location-you can walk to class. Have opening for fall. $450.00 a month plus split utuilities. You have own bathroom and entrance(if you want) Share a living room and kitchen, PM if interested. I am a female in class of 2008.Welcome class of 2009, you made a great chioce of schools!

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if there are any 2009's that would be interested in living at knollwood apartments for $290/mo. + 1/3 utilities (the complex across the street from VCOM) I am currently living with a roomate but neither of us are around much and the place is completely furnished. If there is any interest please get in touch with me directly at [email protected].
-only requests: non-smoker, and clean
enjoy your summer!
jamaal

Hey there I am currently a first year almost done yeahhhhh. I live in Copper Croft with my family it is a good peacefull area. Good for studying etc. there are 3 people in my class in Copper Croft. See yall later.

vivek311r said:
Hey c/o 2009! Just got back from blacksburg looking for apartments. For the rest of you that are as late on the housing thing as I am...a lot of places are going fast! I found a one-bedroom at Foxridge, anyone else out there living in copper croft?

So excited about next year... btw hope you guys have fun at accepted students day...i'll be out of town then :( See you guys in august though!

Hello VCOM 2009, congrats on deciding to come to VCOM.
I have a housing opportunity for those who haven't quite found a place.
Sublease two-bedroom one bathroom apartment.Cedarfield Apartments (it is manages by CMG same people who manage the apts across from the school) - third floor unit with living room, dining room, hardwood floors, and carpet, dishwasher and washer/dryer inside apartmentCost is $650 per month. This is a good deal since the new prices for this apartment would be $670. About 5-6 minutes away from VCOM.

For more information, e-mail me at [email protected]. :)

Welcome to VCOM!!

Just like my other classmates, I have a housing opportunity for you all if you need one. There is an open bedroom in a townhouse in Christiansburg. It is about a 7 minute drive to VCOM and 2 current VCOM students live there. Both are female, one in the class of 2007 and the other from class of 2008. The townhouse is 3BR, 2.5 bath, with a large living room, full kitchen and a sitting area with a fireplace. It also has a small fenced in yard. It is located in a very quiet neighborhood, is conducive to studying at home, and has a grocery store within walking distance. Rent is $350/month plus utilities. If you have interest please contact me via email at [email protected]. Enjoy your time off this summer and look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Matty

Hey guys, hope you all have had good luck in finding a place to live. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm about to sign a lease on stroubles crossing...anyone else living there? It's in FoxRidge, so I'm guessing several VCOM people are in the area.

Take care,
Vivek

Is the class of 2009 ready to go? Three weeks and counting, I can't wait to get going. You all need to check your email accounts for the school, the booklist and some other stuff is there. We all need to know the bones which seems kind of early but I guess it is for are own good. Lets be the best class to come out of this place! :D

oh innocent ones.... little do you know....

enjoy your time off!!! live it up now!!!! cause there will be no room for anything once you start, particularly BLOCKS 3 and 4!!!!

That first neuro exam will blow your minds :scared: :scared: Run.....run while you still can. Before you lose you sanity like the rest of us :D

I do hope you all are enjoying your last free time. Some of the class of 2008 will still be around town when you start classes, so if you all need some help just let us know through the VCOM announcements. Just remember once we get back in september, the first 100 parking spaces near the door are reserved for 2008. But this is a compromise since we gave up the new student lounge in the basement for you all to use just like the class of 2007 did for us, althought I think they gave up the 4th floor lounge. ;) :cool: :D :cool: :D

Ok... studying has gotten the best of me tonight. Have a wonderful last few weeks and enjoy your first block here at VCOM. WELCOME to the family!!!

Can someone tell me where to find a list of VCOM's clinical rotation sites? Thanks for your help.

Hi almost MSIIs folks,
Good luck on exams.

It may seem like block 8 and boards is a long way off, but in all reality they arent that far away. Dont forget to check the classifieds on the vcomstudent pages.

I have board stuff as well as MSII books from my own books as well as some classmates that have moved away. Email my vcom email or PM me through SDN if you are interested. Here is my web site... http://www.picturetrail.com/medschoolmama08