VCOM Class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigpapi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a little premature but...boo-ya VCOM class of 2014!!! Anyone with me here?! Although I may still get pulled off the wait list for August, as the days pass my chances get smaller and smaller...so I've decided to cherish my early admissions offer for the class of 2014 and am inviting others to join me :D!!!

Members don't see this ad.

:DHi...
I am in the same boat as you.. really excited be part of VCOM .. Congrats to U.. thanks for starting this thread... we will be classmates.. so lets keep in touch.. TC
:) :)

Glad to see some life on this thread!!!:D Have you started planning your move down there yet (assuming you don't already live in VA)? What are you up to for the next year? I'm doing research in Boston and am bored as hell :sleep: ...I can't wait to move down to VCOM!!! I've read so many positive comments from current students...I think we're going to fall in love with Blacksburg! To some extent, I already have...

Members don't see this ad :)
HI..
NO i have not really started to plan the move yet.. as u know there is still a slight chance of getting a last minute call..( i am not on the top 10, But u never know) have u received any notification from VCOM lately..

i am also doing research .. so will continue doing this until i move to VA from NJ

and of course i am already in love with Blacksburg and VCOM.. it was love at first sight lol :D
anyways.. soon there will be a vcom 2014 on facebook.. and if u have a fb account PM me.

Cheers

:)

Glad to see some life on this thread!!!:D Have you started planning your move down there yet (assuming you don't already live in VA)? What are you up to for the next year? I'm doing research in Boston and am bored as hell :sleep: ...I can't wait to move down to VCOM!!! I've read so many positive comments from current students...I think we're going to fall in love with Blacksburg! To some extent, I already have...

I know this is a little premature but...boo-ya VCOM class of 2014!!! Anyone with me here?! Although I may still get pulled off the wait list for August, as the days pass my chances get smaller and smaller...so I've decided to cherish my early admissions offer for the class of 2014 and am inviting others to join me :D!!!
Glad to see more enthusiasm out there from my future class mates...I am way excited...have you guys looked into any scholarships? I am doing my research now and I believe most deadlines to apply for them are Jan? Is that right? If you guys have any ideas on scholarships let me know...

Glad to see more enthusiasm out there from my future class mates...I am way excited...have you guys looked into any scholarships? I am doing my research now and I believe most deadlines to apply for them are Jan? Is that right? If you guys have any ideas on scholarships let me know...

I've somewhat looked into them...haven't started applying for them yet though. The only scholarships I've checked out are the ones from the VCOM FA webpage. Where else are you looking? Have you gotten an email/call to put down your deposit yet? I haven't, but I assume since the 2013 class is still (technically) not out of the realm of possibilities that they will wait until the 18th.

I've somewhat looked into them...haven't started applying for them yet though. The only scholarships I've checked out are the ones from the VCOM FA webpage. Where else are you looking? Have you gotten an email/call to put down your deposit yet? I haven't, but I assume since the 2013 class is still (technically) not out of the realm of possibilities that they will wait until the 18th.
No I haven't received anything..I believe classes begin August 12th. If we are not in a seat already they will send out our official invitation letters....I haven't checked out VCOM scholarships yet...I guess I still have time...just trying to pay off bills for now!!!

No I haven't received anything..I believe classes begin August 12th. If we are not in a seat already they will send out our official invitation letters....I haven't checked out VCOM scholarships yet...I guess I still have time...just trying to pay off bills for now!!!

Got the big email from Megan today! Awaiting arrival of the acceptance letter...:D

I got the email too.. this is very exciting... acceptance letters will go out next Tuesday (18th).

do we have a facebook page yet??
:)

Congrats, guys! I'm Class of 2013. We just finished week one. Woo.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Congrats, guys! I'm Class of 2013. We just finished week one. Woo.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey!!! Congrats, how is it? I know everyone gets butterflies starting a new journey in life, but is it what you expected? Stressful? Intimidating? Do they ease you into things? Is it an overly competitive/agressive environment?

I'm very excited for you...I can't wait to start next fall!:D:D:D

Good luck this semester, you'll do great!

Hey all! I'm in class of 2013 so I just finished my first week, too (Mallory/maldabrroc is my roommate).

It really wasn't as bad as I thought. There is a lot of material, but it is not too difficult so far (just a lot of it). We had a very nice study group tonight, which is helping me out a lot.

Tips for everyone in the c/o 2014 - enjoy this year off. Maybe attend some DO conventions or shadow a DO so that you get some experience with OMT (it is REALLY fun) but don't overdo yourself.

This school is awesome. I love the facilities and most of the lectures have been a good speed. Overall, I'm feeling pretty okay about everything. :D

I must admit, though, I didn't sleep much the night before orientation or the night before classes. I was too nervous. Now, I don't sleep as late as I want to because I am getting to class nearly an hour early in order to make sure I have a seat, haha. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Bioman and Vita are totally spot on.

Block 1 is the "easy" block, but there is plenty to work on. I've got a great study group that meets twice a week. I study on my own some amount every other day of the week. The main thing is being sure to understand foundations so that later blocks are about new material, not old concepts.

Overall, it's great. Everyone is nice; I haven't found any insane gunners yet. We all get along well, generally, and everyone is cooperative.

Enjoy your year off, and be sure to SAVE MONEY. Just do it. You'll need it.

Bioman and Vita are totally spot on.

Block 1 is the "easy" block, but there is plenty to work on. I've got a great study group that meets twice a week. I study on my own some amount every other day of the week. The main thing is being sure to understand foundations so that later blocks are about new material, not old concepts.

Overall, it's great. Everyone is nice; I haven't found any insane gunners yet. We all get along well, generally, and everyone is cooperative.

Enjoy your year off, and be sure to SAVE MONEY. Just do it. You'll need it.

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals, I really appreciate it!!! I'm excited to start, although I will no doubt be living it up for the next 353 days :D while trying to save as much $ as possible.

Is the stipend they give you simply not enough to get by (books/supplies, housing, groceries, etc.), or is it just nice to have some extra $ saved up? I like to eat healthy, how's pricing at local markets for fresh produce/fish/meat? Am I going to be eating Ramen like back in college? That would be miserable!

Keep me posted on the workload as the blocks progress. How much "me" time do you find yourselves gettting on a daily basis? I like to practice yoga for 45-60 minutes each day, will it be possible to continue that schedule?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions...but I'm just like a kid in a candy store when it comed to VCOM discussions! Look forward to hearing from you!!! Keep up the good work :D

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals, I really appreciate it!!! I'm excited to start, although I will no doubt be living it up for the next 353 days :D while trying to save as much $ as possible.

Is the stipend they give you simply not enough to get by (books/supplies, housing, groceries, etc.), or is it just nice to have some extra $ saved up? I like to eat healthy, how's pricing at local markets for fresh produce/fish/meat? Am I going to be eating Ramen like back in college? That would be miserable!

Keep me posted on the workload as the blocks progress. How much "me" time do you find yourselves gettting on a daily basis? I like to practice yoga for 45-60 minutes each day, will it be possible to continue that schedule?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions...but I'm just like a kid in a candy store when it comed to VCOM discussions! Look forward to hearing from you!!! Keep up the good work :D

You are not "given a stipend." You decide how much loan money to take out. Keeping in mind that interest accumulates the minute you get the money on everything except Sub Staff (only 8.5K), you are talking thousands in interest. Save $ so you can opt to have less debt.

I'm a vegetarian, and I am always under budget. I don't know about meat pricing at all. I hate Ramen. There are several healthy food stores and a Farmer's Market on W and Sat.

You get as much "me" time as you want. If you budget right, it's fine. If you goof off, you'll get behind. Block 1 is low stress. You can feasibly have several hours free each day with lots of studying too.

Everyone's different. You do what you are able to do. I don't study like anyone else. No one else studies like me. The amount of free time I have is dependent on when I study, if I do it everyday, if I put it off or get it done, etc.

I second everything Maldabrroc says.

As far as food - I only have to prepare food for myself, so it is not expensive. Plus, I made sure to take out enough in loans to cover more than enough in groceries, leaving me extra in case I wanted to buy a cup of coffee every now and then or maybe go out to eat, etc. It is def. easy and cheap to eat healthy as long as you prepare your food yourself. What seems to be working is making excess food on Sunday, then taking it for lunch for the week.

As far as "me" time. At least for Block 1, there is plenty of time to myself. Maldabrroc and I are a bit weird in our class in that we study right after class (usually). Therefore, neither of us end up coming home past 7 or so. Sometimes I work out at this time, other times I just chill. Either way, I get a lot accomplished right after class.

I know a lot of people who take breaks after class - they say they have to in order to focus. I think some of them take a bit longer than they anticipate, so they don't stat studying until around 7pm or so, and end up staying up later. I guess it is different for everyone, but I really like being done with my schoolwork in time to eat dinner and relax, that way I have some downtime from medical school before I sleep.

You should def. keep up with the Yoga. I am trying to get back into Yoga (and some pilates), mostly because it is a great way to relax. Trust me, the hardest part so far has not been any of the lectures; it has been trying to keep myself together so that I am healthy enough to perform to the best of my ability. Yoga is awesome for calming down the nerves. :D

It sounds like if I budget my time well, which I believe I do, I'll have the ability to live the healthy lifestyle that I've been living, which includes a good balance of work and chill.

Maldabrroc: by "stipend" I actually meant the money that doesn't go directly to tuiton but can be used as "spending" money for rent, utilities, groceries, books, etc. From what you're saying, the amount of money I'll have to spend will depend on how much extra money I decide to take out from the loan authorities. My question is, how do you know how much you'll need, without taking out "too much"?

Vita: I support your efforts to get back into yoga. Since discovering it in Australia (while studying abroad) back in 2006, I've been on and off with it, so I understand where you're coming from. Recently, however, I've been practicing close to every day (for a couple months) and I'm hooked for good. I currently practice Ashtanga Yoga as well as other variations of power yoga. I follow Rodney Yee's power yoga DVD as well as Eoin Finn's power yoga DVD - Yee has an intense 80 minute session while Finn has both long and shorter sessions (good for those lazy days). I find that classes are simply too expensive and I get a better workout when I'm by myself. You should look into them, they aren't expensive, ~$20 on Amazon. In fact, when I interviewed at VCOM one of the professors asked how I'll balance med school with personal life, and I told him yoga...so I'm trying hard to honor that statement. Good luck :D

It sounds like if I budget my time well, which I believe I do, I'll have the ability to live the healthy lifestyle that I've been living, which includes a good balance of work and chill.

Maldabrroc: by "stipend" I actually meant the money that doesn't go directly to tuiton but can be used as "spending" money for rent, utilities, groceries, books, etc. From what you're saying, the amount of money I'll have to spend will depend on how much extra money I decide to take out from the loan authorities. My question is, how do you know how much you'll need, without taking out "too much"?

Vita: I support your efforts to get back into yoga. Since discovering it in Australia (while studying abroad) back in 2006, I've been on and off with it, so I understand where you're coming from. Recently, however, I've been practicing close to every day (for a couple months) and I'm hooked for good. I currently practice Ashtanga Yoga as well as other variations of power yoga. I follow Rodney Yee's power yoga DVD as well as Eoin Finn's power yoga DVD - Yee has an intense 80 minute session while Finn has both long and shorter sessions (good for those lazy days). I find that classes are simply too expensive and I get a better workout when I'm by myself. You should look into them, they aren't expensive, ~$20 on Amazon. In fact, when I interviewed at VCOM one of the professors asked how I'll balance med school with personal life, and I told him yoga...so I'm trying hard to honor that statement. Good luck :D

The school will give you an estimated budget, so start there. If you have a roomie, you'll save a ton on utilities and rent. Figure out how much you spend on groceries per month now. Don't worry, the budget covers literally everything, so you won't need ALL of that money.

You can get a mind/body pass to the VTech Yoga classes for $27/year. I just bought mine. They have several variations of Yoga and Pilates (even a power yoga class, which was a little too advanced for me just yet, but might not be advanced enough for you). They offer a "freeweek" at the beginning of the Fall semester, where you can go to any of their classes for free to see if you want to sign up. It might be good to check them out to see if they are good for you.

This sounds great…. I am definitely going to try this out, when I get to Blacksburg next year... Thanks :)

You can get a mind/body pass to the VTech Yoga classes for $27/year. I just bought mine. They have several variations of Yoga and Pilates (even a power yoga class, which was a little too advanced for me just yet, but might not be advanced enough for you). They offer a "freeweek" at the beginning of the Fall semester, where you can go to any of their classes for free to see if you want to sign up. It might be good to check them out to see if they are good for you.

Hi.. elftown..that's great.. I am from New Brunswick area.. where are u from? Good luck with applications and if have any questions about the application process plz ask :)
take care

i hope i can post in here as an accepted student soon. BumbleBee09, i'm from NJ also :D

accepted today into the class of 2014! have some more interviews lined up, and an acceptance at AZCOM, but i really REALLY liked what i saw of the school during my interview. i can easily see myself matriculating here.:thumbup:

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I am available for any questions or concerns that you have about VCOM. I am MSIII and I love VCOM! SO shoot with any questions! If I dont reply within 3 days, please resend your message and I will send a response immediately. Sometimes, it gets crazy on rotations.

Congrats to all who are part of this awesome school! you will love it the same way i DO!

Hi everyone,
I received the call today about being accepted and I am ecstatic! So I have a couple of questions about moving. Do any of you know of any good apartments around the area? I will be living with my boyfriend, we are not looking for many specifics just a quiet space and it has to have washer and dryer.
Should I just call around? I don't know where to start! Thanks...

Hi everyone,
I received the call today about being accepted and I am ecstatic! So I have a couple of questions about moving. Do any of you know of any good apartments around the area? I will be living with my boyfriend, we are not looking for many specifics just a quiet space and it has to have washer and dryer.
Should I just call around? I don't know where to start! Thanks...
I would recommend looking in Christiansburg before Blacksburg - it's a ton cheaper and a lot less collegey. As far as specifics, I wish I knew more to help you. :)

The apartments right across the street from VCOM (Knollwood, The Crossing) are nice, but a little steep. But it might be worth it for you if you want to be able to walk across the street to school. That helps you save time that you could be studying. Let me know if you all have any questions! I'm an MS-II right now.

I would recommend looking in Christiansburg before Blacksburg - it's a ton cheaper and a lot less collegey. As far as specifics, I wish I knew more to help you. :)

The apartments right across the street from VCOM (Knollwood, The Crossing) are nice, but a little steep. But it might be worth it for you if you want to be able to walk across the street to school. That helps you save time that you could be studying. Let me know if you all have any questions! I'm an MS-II right now.

Annnd if you have questions about the Crossing, I live in those apartments, so just ask. They are a little more expensive, but I hardly have to use my car. Honestly, walking to class is some of the only exercise I get anymore. :rolleyes:

Hey guys congrats on your acceptance! For those that were on the wait list last year can you tell me what the process is leading up to your letter of acceptance to the class of 2014. I am on the wait list currently (wish i would have applied earlier ha) and am wondering what the details of this process are. Thanks!

Best of luck to everyone! I'm VCOM C/o 2011. I still remember what it felt like when I first got accepted. It is a very exciting time. Go out and celebrate. Any questions about the school feel free to PM me. Good luck to those still waiting. Enjoy your free time now =)
PS Crossing at Knollowood was a great apartment choice for me. Looks nice, good space, right across the street, fitness room, pool, tennis court. It doesn't get any better than that (save on gas). However it was a little more expensive than other apartments further out.
Again...good luck!

I think this is one of the first times I have posted on SDN since I matriculated in the class of 2013. This forum was a great resource for me when I was learning about VCOM and preparing to apply and later begin classes. If I can help with any questions I would be happy to, just ask. We are a few weeks into Block 3 and we are definitely being challenged but I love it here. I am a commuter so I can't help much with questions about the Blacksburg/Christiansburg living situation.

Congratulations on your acceptance to VCOM, try to make some time to relax and enjoy your life before you start. It will get very busy very fast. Chances are you will absolutely love this school and the region. Welcome to the family.

Best of luck to everyone! I'm VCOM C/o 2011. I still remember what it felt like when I first got accepted. It is a very exciting time. Go out and celebrate. Any questions about the school feel free to PM me. Good luck to those still waiting. Enjoy your free time now =)
PS Crossing at Knollowood was a great apartment choice for me. Looks nice, good space, right across the street, fitness room, pool, tennis court. It doesn't get any better than that (save on gas). However it was a little more expensive than other apartments further out.
Again...good luck!

I think this is one of the first times I have posted on SDN since I matriculated in the class of 2013. This forum was a great resource for me when I was learning about VCOM and preparing to apply and later begin classes. If I can help with any questions I would be happy to, just ask. We are a few weeks into Block 3 and we are definitely being challenged but I love it here. I am a commuter so I can't help much with questions about the Blacksburg/Christiansburg living situation.

Congratulations on your acceptance to VCOM, try to make some time to relax and enjoy your life before you start. It will get very busy very fast. Chances are you will absolutely love this school and the region. Welcome to the family.

Thank you... I am very excited !!!!!!!!! :):)

Hey everyone i'm new to the class of 2014 and I cannot wait to meet all of you guys!!!

For current students at VCOM, where do most students tend to live? Also, I seem to have forgotten from my tour, but is there any kind of dining facility in the building or not? Can you get a dining plan at VT?
Thanks!

For current students at VCOM, where do most students tend to live? Also, I seem to have forgotten from my tour, but is there any kind of dining facility in the building or not? Can you get a dining plan at VT?
Thanks!

Yes to both. There is a cafe upstairs that sells coffee drinks, tea, salads, soups, etc (they catered your interview day lunch).

You can also get a meal plan for the main VT campus, but I don't know anyone who has one, so I don't have any specific details there.

Does anyone know where I can be a list of the required/recommended textbooks for the class of 2014. I found one on amazon for the class of 2013 but i dont know if all of them will be the same

http://www.amazon.com/VCOM-Class-Booklist-2009-2010-academic/lm/R2A4OTRKLT3AIG

They will post it on your website (vcom.vt.edu/2014 or something like that) when it is ready.

Make sure you all talk to a rising second year before you buy your books so that they can tell you which ones are useful and which are not. Feel free to PM me if you want my opinion.

Also, if anyone is interested in buying the nutrition book (an older edition), I don't want my copy anymore. Let me know.