VCOM Curriculum questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boots229

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that VCOM goes year round, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off each month for the first two years?

Also, can VCOM students do selectives and electives in their fourth anywhere they would like or do they have to stay at affiliated sites?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that VCOM goes year round, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off each month for the first two years?

Also, can VCOM students do selectives and electives in their fourth anywhere they would like or do they have to stay at affiliated sites?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes they go year round. For the first year, the first block is 11 weeks, with a 2 week break afterwards. The breaks thereafter are a week in between blocks.

4th year you can do your them anywhere you like. The admissions office told me they would even help setting things up in these cases.

I am a 1st year student at VCOM and the way the blocks work are like this. The 1st block is 13 weeks long and then you get a little more than 2 weeks off over Thanksgiving. The 2nd block is 4 weeks long and then we get a 10 day break over Christmas. 3rd block and the rest of the blocks for the year are 7 weeks long with a 10 day break after each one. We will be finishing the year on July 3 and start 2nd year on Aug 6th. I hope that helps.

Reposting my response to your identical thread in the Osteopathic forum:

No. We do go year-round, but it's usually one month on, one week off or two months on, one week off. At the end of the first year you get a "summer" in the form of 3 (or 5, in the case of 2010 class) weeks off around August, and another at the end of second year (to study for boards).

You can do over half of your fourth year rotations (two months of selectives, and four of electives) out of the area, with approval of the Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs. Our third and fourth year rotation requirements have changed so far (was 10 months each year, now down to 9 months each). The amount of time "allowed" outside of core rotation sites, though, hasn't really changed, so you should be able to count on at least four months of time that you can spend for away rotations during your fourth year.

This information can be garnered from the VCOM website, section on Curriculum: http://www.vcom.vt.edu/resource/curriculum.html