VCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think what Megan meant by "we are considered graduate students of VT" was in terms of privelages on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

It is kind of the same thing with the vet students. VMRCVM is considered sort of a subset specialty of VT/MD - independent, yes, but we still write out tuition checks to the Treasurer of Virginia Tech

VCOM and VMRCVM aren't considered grad programs *except* in the areas of school insurance, school policy, finance etc..it is just easier for the people doing the paperwork in admin. However, in "real life" i.e. day to day living, not just name, they are pretty much independent. Does that make sense?

I totally understand what you mean. If that's the case that VCOM and VMRCVM are in the same situation, meaning they are not being considered graduate schools by VT, then why is VMRCVM still mentioned on the VT Grad School website and VCOM isn't?

Bottom of Page-
http://www.grads.vt.edu/graduate_course_listing/by_college.jsp#vetmed

Anyway, I'm not trying to raise an argument... at this point I don't even know why I am wasting my time with this... lol.

We get all the same campus privileges as VT graduate students, so why does it matter that we are not on the VT graduate student web page? Kind of petty in my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, VA Tech is ashamed to have a medical school.

When I was there I asked the girl that worked at the VTECH website if they had any VCOM shirts. She said what is VCOM? ha

When I was there I asked the girl that worked at the VTECH website if they had any VCOM shirts. She said what is VCOM? ha

Hahaha! That's funny and sad at the same time... I think I searched around at one point and found only two shirts on one of VT's website. I also found this on Class of 2010 forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclegirl
Just curious if anyone knows how I could purchase a VCOM t-shirt or sweatshirt?

Hey Cyclegirl

One of the main fundraisers for VCOM clubs is to sell VCOM stuff. So yes VCOM shirts are available in the bookstore (which actually the only store I know of too, but I haven't really looked), but before you go all out you might want to see what the clubs have. There are usually lots of t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc to choose from at various times during the year.

Hey guys,

i've got an interview coming up on the 17th. i got an email saying my secondary was complete on nov. 30 (a friday) and then a phone call on dec. 3 (the next monday) for an interview. this originally let me to believe that they're interested, but after reading some of the posts, i'm a little worried now!

my science GPA is not so good (3.1ish) and overall is 3.3, but my mcat is a 30 and i'm from a rural area (NC mountains). i've also spent the past two years doing full-time research at Duke and UNC. do you guys have any advice for me? anyone else interviewing on the 17th?

Hey guys,

i've got an interview coming up on the 17th. i got an email saying my secondary was complete on nov. 30 (a friday) and then a phone call on dec. 3 (the next monday) for an interview. this originally let me to believe that they're interested, but after reading some of the posts, i'm a little worried now!

my science GPA is not so good (3.1ish) and overall is 3.3, but my mcat is a 30 and i'm from a rural area (NC mountains). i've also spent the past two years doing full-time research at Duke and UNC. do you guys have any advice for me? anyone else interviewing on the 17th?

Mine was completed on the 3rd of December, and I haven't heard anything from them yet. Congrats on the interview!

thanks bonsante, i'm sure you'll hear soon. good luck to you!

Hey!

Does anyone know typically how long does this school give you to make a decision whether or not you choose to join? Also how long does it take to know after the interview if they accept you or not?

Thanks!

Does anyone know typically how long does this school give you to make a decision whether or not you choose to join? Also how long does it take to know after the interview if they accept you or not?
For me, I had a little over in the month. I think for you it may be as short as 2 weeks. As 2008 goes on, the amount of time you have will diminish.

After my interview, I knew in 2 weeks. It depends on when the board meets. VCOM will tell you when their board meets next and they will give you a specific call-date.

Hahaha! That's funny and sad at the same time... I think I searched around at one point and found only two shirts on one of VT's website. I also found this on Class of 2010 forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclegirl
Just curious if anyone knows how I could purchase a VCOM t-shirt or sweatshirt?

Hey Cyclegirl

One of the main fundraisers for VCOM clubs is to sell VCOM stuff. So yes VCOM shirts are available in the bookstore (which actually the only store I know of too, but I haven't really looked), but before you go all out you might want to see what the clubs have. There are usually lots of t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc to choose from at various times during the year.

Yes, its sad!! Not too many of the VT students know that there exist a medical school 1.6 miles away from them!!! Only the pre-meds know that its there.

Screw the book store....wait till u get here for the club fair....so much nice stuff that you will be able to buy!!!! Be patient!

Good luck with ur finals guys....

How do I find the Pre-Check background thing? Is there a website? I can not find the new student website. Need Help. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

If you want to go into primary care talk about it!! Also let them know if you want to work in a rural area.... When I went for my interview I just kept a smile on my face and stayed positive the whole time and it worked!!

If anyone knows of any houses or townhomes for sale please PM me.
Thanx!!

Who is interviewing on the 18th of Dec??????? Well, guess what, I get to meet you guys :)

It should be interesting!!!

Hey guys!

Does anyone know what the penalty is for holding your seat for the class ( by paying the deposit fee) and then dropping your seat later on in the year? Do you have to have specific reasons for dropping your seat (illness etc.) or can you drop it just because you decide to change your mind about going there?

Thanks!

From what i know, you don't really have to have an excuse, as long as you drop before school starts. All you will be loosing is the deposit money.

just got accepted! i think i'm going to cancel my other interviews. i was really impressed with vcom at the interview. they have really made a great effort to get to know me and made me feel really welcome!

just got accepted! i think i'm going to cancel my other interviews. i was really impressed with vcom at the interview. they have really made a great effort to get to know me and made me feel really welcome!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!:hardy:

Great Choice!!!! You will not regret it. I am so happy to be here!!!! VCOM was my last interview last year and I wish i had it in the beginning, b/c I would have saved alot of money!

You will have tons of fun here!!! I promise you!

Welcome to the VCOM family.

~Simpleman

yayyyyyy...got a call from megan today..got in!!! seriously thinking about going here..loved the school, faculty and area. For anyone going there now...i know the financial aid lady told us something about getting life insurance..does anyone know how much that is per year??? b/c she told us $25,000 if ur taking loans and $10,000 if ur not...is that PER YEAR???!!...or for all 4 years...ima be broke by the time i graduate...:(.....anyways sooooooooo happpy...gona save a lotta money cancelling all my other schools..:)

wish everyone the best with their interviews!!!

Hey, I think I know who you are. I was there on Monday, as well, the guy from Connecticut. Anyway, congrats! I got accepted as well. I liked the program- was really impressed by the facilities and thought everyone was truly friendly and welcoming.

yayyyyyy...got a call from megan today..got in!!! seriously thinking about going here..loved the school, faculty and area. For anyone going there now...i know the financial aid lady told us something about getting life insurance..does anyone know how much that is per year??? b/c she told us $25,000 if ur taking loans and $10,000 if ur not...is that PER YEAR???!!...or for all 4 years...ima be broke by the time i graduate...:(.....anyways sooooooooo happpy...gona save a lotta money cancelling all my other schools..:)

wish everyone the best with their interviews!!!

Congrats again to another Monday the 17ther!

b/c she told us $25,000 if ur taking loans and $10,000 if ur not...is that PER YEAR???!!...or for all 4 years...ima be broke by the time i graduate........anyways sooooooooo happpy...gona save a lotta money cancelling all my other schools..

that isnt how much you need to pay. It is how much you need to be covered for.

sexy man is right.

usually my insurance comes out about 1100 dollars per year....I am sure you can find cheaper ones in the 800-900 range per year. My insurance is full coverage premium with extras that you wont need...

My parents are extra protective and they chose the best one for me.

Congrats to other people...... Most People from the 17th and 18th got good news!! I am happy for you guys and I welcome you.

Hello to class of 2012 and VCOM community. I received an acceptance call yesterday. I am excited to meet everyone from this class. Congratulations to all!! I had my interview Dec 4th. I had to wait a little while for my call, but well worth it. It is an awsome facility and I am stoked about attending this school. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Hello to class of 2012 and VCOM community. I received an acceptance call yesterday. I am excited to meet everyone from this class. Congratulations to all!! I had my interview Dec 4th. I had to wait a little while for my call, but well worth it. It is an awsome facility and I am stoked about attending this school. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Congrats!! Look forward to seeing you :D

Hey, I think I know who you are. I was there on Monday, as well, the guy from Connecticut. Anyway, congrats! I got accepted as well. I liked the program- was really impressed by the facilities and thought everyone was truly friendly and welcoming.

Thanks! I was the one who forgot my suit and talked too much...
I remember people by the places they were from...where were you from?
Are you thinking of going to VCOM?

and oh yeah, congrats!

ah, never mind...i thought you said "as well as the guy from connecticut"
i remember you!

Megan mentioned something about a housing list-serve...is that on the class of 2012 website or do we have access to that after we send in our deposit and stuff?

Jelly

you have to email Megan with your name and she will add you to the listserv for housing!!! she tell her to put your name on the listserv and she will..

Good luck with your plans

JellyJelly- How did you forget your suit?! that is great that you got in- it will certainly be a good story now. What did you wear jeans?

and talked too much...

Funny when I interviewed I am pretty sure all of the other interviewees didnt speak English they were so quiet. At least I will have someone to interact with come august!

Well, another guy definitely had a better "missing suit" story than mine, if he posts, he should definitely tell it!

Basically, i live 3.5 hours from Blacksburg and was driving up there the night before. i'm driving up the mountains on 77-N in the snow and wind and dark and i'm doing a mental checklist of all my stuff. got my shoes, got my underwear, got my toothbrush, got my suit....oh wait a minute...****!
at this point, i was around two and a half hours from home and realized that my suit was hanging on the back of my door (at home). i called my sister and had her look up target and other stores in the area that i could buy a "suit" from. the best she came up with was an old navy (fashionable and affordable!). i got a pair of black dress pants, a dress shirt and a black sweater. i only spent $70 and thought i looked quite nice even though i was the only one there NOT in a suit.
i told this story to one of my interviewers and she was actually impressed that i was able to find an outfit and thought it "refreshing" to see someone not wearing a suit for once. it also helped that her niece works for old navy...

Well, another guy definitely had a better "missing suit" story than mine, if he posts, he should definitely tell it!

Basically, i live 3.5 hours from Blacksburg and was driving up there the night before. i'm driving up the mountains on 77-N in the snow and wind and dark and i'm doing a mental checklist of all my stuff. got my shoes, got my underwear, got my toothbrush, got my suit....oh wait a minute...****!
at this point, i was around two and a half hours from home and realized that my suit was hanging on the back of my door (at home). i called my sister and had her look up target and other stores in the area that i could buy a "suit" from. the best she came up with was an old navy (fashionable and affordable!). i got a pair of black dress pants, a dress shirt and a black sweater. i only spent $70 and thought i looked quite nice even though i was the only one there NOT in a suit.
i told this story to one of my interviewers and she was actually impressed that i was able to find an outfit and thought it "refreshing" to see someone not wearing a suit for once. it also helped that her niece works for old navy...

That is such a great story! That is exactly like something I would do. I always pack the stupid stuff and forget the essentials.

I bet I know which interviewer you are talking about too. The day I interviewed there was this girl in our group that had a bright pink trim around her jacket and skirt. I liked it because it was different from my plain old suit. Anyway, this woman came in to get her for her interview and squealed about how much she loved the girl's suit because it was so different and pink! It was funny.

Hey guys!

I got an invitation for an interview with PCOM-GA and I'm debating whether to take it or not. VCOM was a great experience for me and I am pretty sure I will go there, but I want to make sure before I make my final decision. For anyone that interviewed at both PCOM-GA and VCOM, why did you choose VCOM over PCOM-GA, and what did you see as similarities or major differences?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I got an invitation for an interview with PCOM-GA and I'm debating whether to take it or not. VCOM was a great experience for me and I am pretty sure I will go there, but I want to make sure before I make my final decision. For anyone that interviewed at both PCOM-GA and VCOM, why did you choose VCOM over PCOM-GA, and what did you see as similarities or major differences?

Thanks!

haha, i am surprised!! ok. I interviewed at many places like PCOM, PCOM-GA, wvsom, pcsom, nsu, and VCOM.....I was accepted to all schools except for one: PCOM-GA..

Listen, I am glad I was rejected! B/c they just started out, not well established, but will be in the future i am sure, their curriculum is kinda wierd, and well, you got too many classes taught by a few doctors.

I am not telling you not to go to the interview, go and check it out and if it clicks with you, thats great and if doesnt, VCOM is the place for you.

I am glad i turned down the other schools for VCOM and I couldnt be any happier right now. Our staff, faculty, facility, and well established foundation of the school are awesome...

You need to also get the insight from someone who is attending PCOM GA.....I really cant tell you much about it. Their facilities is kinda comparable with VCOM, but VCOM's better. You also have to remember class size....PCOM-GA has 82 seats....VCOM has 160 seats....meaning, if you like to be in a small class size, pcom might be for u... but i think that is a really really really small class size for a med school!!!!!! The avg US Medical School seats is 151.

alpie, i wrote an almost identical post in the PCOM-GA forum...i thought for a second they had put your name by accident on my post! anyway, i'm in the same boat. i think i'm going to end up going just to check it out, but i'm still sending in my deposit check to vcom. what day is your interview, by the way? mine is on 1/9.

Jelly,

Mine is scheduled for 1/10...I'm debating because I would have to cancel work for two days and I'm not sure if it's worth the travel there, to find out that I liked VCOM better...soooooo...I'm trying to get insight from other people that interviewed at both and see the +/- of both.

Good luck on your interview!!!

Check out the interview section of this website. PCOM-GA and VCOM both got great reviews

Well I've been placed on hold for the time being regarding an interview invitation at VCOM. At least that's better than being completely rejected, I've still got a chance.:thumbup:

Is it just me or is VCOM's website not user-friendly. I feel like the links are not organized and it takes a long time to orient. Not enough pictures and is just not attractive when you compare it to other osteopathic schools websites..

i.e. www.atsu.edu =attractive
http://som.umdnj.edu =professional with quick accessible links

anyone feel the same way?

I really think it is just personal preference. I personally like VCOM's site. I like how all the links are organized under the headings you are looking for.

AS for an earlier comment about the VT grad relationship... We are affiliated with VT but are not a grad school under direction of the school. I do believe that is why we arent listed as a VT grad school. We have many of the righst that the VT students have so it works well for us.

As to the girl working in the bookstore at Tech not knowing what VCOM is.... A lot of people here do not call our school VCOM, but rather they know it by the name of the Edward Via School.

Congrats to the latest acceptances and welcome to the VCOM family! You will love it

I agree with Dr. ED

The website cause use an overhaul. Both sites he posted are examples of what I would like the VCOM site to look like...

Has anybody filled out the background check form yet?