VCOM, PCOM, or NYCOM? Your feedback please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peds2008

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to VCOM, PCOM, and NYCOM. I would like your feedback (strengths, weaknesses, comments,...) on these schools to help me make a solid decision. I know a bit about each school, as I have visited them and read up on them, but I would still like your feedback to make a decision. Thank you so much. Look forward to reading your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM because it's the most established of the 3. founded in 1906.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preclinical Years: PCOM
Clinical Years/Rotations/Affiliations: NYCOM
Tuition: Draw
Cost of living: VCOM
Stuff to do in the area: NYCOM
Diversity of patient population: NYCOM, PCOM close 2nd, VCOM distant 3rd
Facilities: Probably PCOM
Technology: Probably NYCOM
School with Dean named "Dixie": VCOM
School with Dean who is sister of Diana Ross: NYCOM

Here's the NYCOM 2003 match list I pasted from another post:

Anesthesia: (26 total!)
Cleveland Clinic
Einstein, NY (3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Wisconsin
Yale
NYU
Suny Downstate (5)
Maimonides, NY
Metroheath, OH
Temple, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Mass, MA
UConn, CT
Univ Buffalo, NY
Metrohealth Med Ctr (OH)
Stony Brook, NY
Westchester Med Ctr, NY (NYMC)

Emergency Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY
LIJ/ Einstein, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset, NY
Univ at Buffalo (2)
Newark Beth Israel, NJ
Albert Einstein, Philadelphia, PA
St. Barnabus, NY (6)
St. Barnabus, NY EM/IM Combined
UMDNJ, Kennedy Memorial (EM/IM Combined)

Family Practice:
Good Samaritan, NY
New York United Hospital
Mercy Hospital, PA
St. Claires, NY, NY
Union Hospital, NJ (2)
Northside Hospital, FL
St. Barnabus, NY (3)
St. Josephs, Syracuse NY
Overlook Hospital, NJ (2)
Somerset Med Ctr, NJ
UMDNJ (2)
Univ of Pittsburgh

General Surgery:
Doctor's Hospital, OH
Stony Brook, NY
Maimonides Med Ctr, NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr, NY
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Wyckoff Heights Med Ctr, NY, NY
St. Barnabus, NY

OTO-Facial/Plastic Surgery
Northeast Regional Medical Ctr, MO

Internal Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, Queens, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)

Neurology:
Albany Med, NY
LIJ, NY
North Shore Univ Hospital, Manhasset, NY
UMDNJ- Newark

NeuroSurgery:
Doctors Hospital, OH (2)

OB/Gyn
Albany Med (3)
Beth Israel, NY, NY
MCP Hahnemann, Philadelphia, PA
Michigan State, Lansing, MI
St Francis, CT
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Univ Buffalo, NY

Optho:
Univ Buffalo, NY

Orthopedic Surgery:
St. Vincents, New York, NY (NYMC)

Pathology:
St. Lukes-Roosevelt, NY
SUNY, Syracuse, NY

Peds:
LIJ, NY
Good Samaritan, NY (2)
Stony Brook (3)
Suny Downstate (3)
Univ Buffalo
Winthrop Univ Hospital (3)

PM&R:
Harvard
Einstein, NY
LIJ, NY (2)
Mt Sinai School of Medicine, NY
NYU School of Medicine
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Psychiatry:
LIJ, NY
Maimonides, NY
St. Lukes-Roosevelt- Columbia (2)
Stony Brook (2)
Thomas Jefferson, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Mass

Radiology (Diagnostic)
MCP Hahnemann
Harlem Hospital, NY, NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr, NY
St. Barnabus, NY, NY

Wow, the feedback so far has been great.
Thank you guys for your helpful information. I look forward to reading more posts.

I have to disagree with the technology statement. I believe that VCOM is as highly technological as any school in the nation. Being affiliated with one of the 50 top research schools in the U.S. European schools are coming over to copy the anatomy lab being one of the best in the world. Smart boards all over the school, wireless internet..... I have never experienced anything like it, and it is all brand spankin' new. Also, as far as things to do, it depends on what kind of person you are. Sure New York is fun in an urban sort of way, but for an outdoor enthusiast, Blacksburg can't be beat, in fact, Blacksburg was voted as the #1 outdoor place to live by outdoor magazine considering the low cost of living and all of the activities in close proximity. I was told that VCOM is sparing no expenses for an excellent medical program, and the faculty is obviously top notch. I think VCOM will be a wonderful experience.....just my opinion.

I have moved VCOM as my first choice after reading more about it and reading some of your replies. I pray I get in! I'm from the Columbia, SC area and have to spend a year away from my wife. A mere 270 miles would be a godsend.

An excellent decision, I am definitely attending there in the fall, and am turning down other interviews/offers. It is everything I was looking for and more. I feel like the whole experience has been well planned out and they already have more accreditation than most get their first year in operation. If you haven't seen the facilities yet, you will be impressed when you do. They also already have a core group of hospitals in the area that I am told are very excited about the new school. I am from N. Carolina, and know they give preference to southeast and appalacian regions, so if you have average stats and good life experience you should have no problem. I truly believe this program cannot be beat...I sort of feel like an advocate or something, but the faculty made me feel absolutely at home and with all of the added bonuses of the virginia Tech campus, including free football tickets, I am so excited to be there. This school will catch on as a favorite very quickly..;)

Is there much to do around Blacksburg? As in, shops and clubs and stuff? I was thinking about attending NYCOM just because of its proximity to NYC.

Also, why on earth does VCOM have DVM's and DDS's teaching some of their science and anatomy courses?

at georgetown med; a DVM teaches part of the embryology and histology classes; additionally; a DO teaches a chunk of the gross anatomy class

once in med school all your professors won't be just MDs or PhDs

There is definitely more shopping, clubs, etc...in NY, of course. Blacksburg is definitely a more laid back kind of town, for me the outdoor activities are what I am looking for. I understand that Roanoke is a nice city with many things to do only about a 40 minute drive, which would definitely be an easier commute than NYC to Long Island. Plus, cost of living is probably half in Blacksburg compared to NY. Are we going to have time to have a night life during school? hmmmm....
Anyway, good luck with your decision. I'm sure any of these schools will be a wonderful education. Stay close to your wife...I know how much that would mean to my own marriage. It is hard on the marriage to be apart, even for a few months.

One thing to consider is something noted above... patient population. You're really not gonna find more diverse pathology than in the NY area. Unless you're set on rural medicine, I'm not sure how southern Virginia can give you the exposure you need. I'm a first year nycom student, come from a small town in PA, and love this area. I dont want to live here forever, but there's SO much to do around here. The beach, ocean, bars, clubs, museums, broadway, shopping, etc. Skiing is an hour away. I'm never bored, nor do I feel claustrophobic, as I live in a very suburban town near school but the city is quick train ride away.

Also, an important question to ask is how much you'll have to move third and fourth year. Many D.O. schools require you to move all over the country for different rotations, sometimes over the course of a weekend, often living in run-down dorms for third and fourth year clerkships. Some dont even set them up for you, giving you the requirements and wishing you luck in finding a rotation and housing somwhere. NYCOM has about 40 affiliated hospitals, the great majority of which are located in the metro-NY area, some of which are affiliated with NYU, Yale, Cornell, etc. Good places to rotate. All the rotations are set up for you, it's very well organized.

As far as technology, besides for a miserable webpage, NYCOM really does have some cool stuff. Most lectures are taped and put streaming online, you can check-out a laptop to use in the library, the campus is wireless, and they're building a state-of-the-art lab with patient-simulating robots.

Anyway, we all love our own schools. Go to the place where you will be the happiest, as that's very important in doing well.

My last input, I promise, but I was told at the interview that the furthest clinical sight from VCOM is an hour and fifteen minute drive, and it is not that rural there. However, I am sure that NY would be much more fun, if that is what you desire. I have a four year old, so for me, I like a smaller more family oriented area, and I most likely will be in primary care medicine... follow your heart...

Oh and about PCOM, check out the thread in osteopathic about PCOM 2008 or DMU 2008, it is mostly about PCOM.