VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I borrowed through sallie Mae without a cosigner for the 40 something thousand and was accepted, just waiting now for VCOM to approve it and then the total amount will be given to VCOM split into each semester and then they deduct tuition from it and refund the rest back once the semester starts
How old are u?

Members don't see this ad.

I borrowed through sallie Mae without a cosigner for the 40 something thousand and was accepted, just waiting now for VCOM to approve it and then the total amount will be given to VCOM split into each semester and then they deduct tuition from it and refund the rest back once the semester starts

I'm waiting for the school to accept it also.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
why are you guys getting loan from sallie Mae? i thought people send FAFSA to vcom and get stafford loan....no? please advice!

why are you guys getting loan from sallie Mae? i thought people send FAFSA to vcom and get stafford loan....no? please advice!

It says under the Financial Aid information that the Graduate Program does not qualify for federal funding.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! Does anyone know if the all the seats for this year's cohort have been filled? And are students still receiving acceptances currently? Thank alot!

Hi guys! Does anyone know if the all the seats for this year's cohort have been filled? And are students still receiving acceptances currently? Thank alot!
I'm still waiting to hear back!

I applied at the end of March and my letters got there in the beginning of April. Hopefully it works out for both of us :)
I really hope so! I applied mid March! So maybe we'll hear soon! Have you emailed them about the status of your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope so! I applied mid March! So maybe we'll hear soon! Have you emailed them about the status of your application?

Nice! Yeah, I emailed them and they said they were going through all the materials and processing them as of last week from March/April/May. Not sure what that means though. They said to check at the end of the month.

Nice! Yeah, I emailed them and they said they were going through all the materials and processing them as of last week from March/April/May. Not sure what that means though. They said to check at the end of the month.
They told me mine was under review as of last week, so I'm just waiting to see what will happen next

Guys I will be applying next cycle but emailed Mrs. Hill asking for the average GPA this is what she said maybe it will provide some insight.

Thank you for your email and interest in our program. Over the past few years, the average incoming GPA has been about a 3.2, both overall and science-only GPA. The required minimum GPA for admissions review for the next cycle will be 2.9 (this is up from 2.75 which is currently listed on the website). While the overall science GPA is main calculation, the admissions committee does look at your GPA for just the pre-requisite courses as well.
Good luck to you guys!

Accepted!!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!!! :)

Congratulations!!!! I was wondering when did you apply? I have emailed the program but they said they are still processing materials from end of March/April. Thanks!! Maybe I'll get to see you in the Fall!

Congratulations!!!! I was wondering when did you apply? I have emailed the program but they said they are still processing materials from end of March/April. Thanks!! Maybe I'll get to see you in the Fall!

Thank you! And yes, I hope to see you in the fall! I applied January, but my application wasn't complete with my LOR until March 1st

Thank you! And yes, I hope to see you in the fall! I applied January, but my application wasn't complete with my LOR until March 1st

Oh okay! Yeah, I applied at the end of March so I guess it'll be some time before I get any response. Thank you for letting me know!

Did anyone here get accepted without an MCAT score? I'm wondering if that's why it's taking me so long to hear back. I'm taking my mcat on June 18. I submitted my app late January, and with my Rec letters it was complete by mid March.

Did anyone here get accepted without an MCAT score? I'm wondering if that's why it's taking me so long to hear back. I'm taking my mcat on June 18. I submitted my app late January, and with my Rec letters it was complete by mid March.

I'm also interested in seeing if applicants without an MCAT score were admitted to the program. I also applied without taking the MCAT. I'm taking my MCAT next week June 2nd. Wish the best of luck to you futuredrummerdoctor on your MCAT!

Thank you, 03Yuk0n, I wish you the best and I hope you get in :) Good luck on the MCAT!

Congrats!!! What were your stats and are you a VA resident??
:) 3.43 overall, and 3.29 science gpa. VA resident. 499 MCAT. I also just completed a post-bacc program w/ a 3.78, but not sure about how much pull that had since my application was already under review by the time i wanted to updated my transcript.

I was accepted without an MCAT score!

Hey everyone! I'm just wondering who would be the best person to email to check the status of my application. And do they seem to mind people doing that at all? Thanks for any responses!

Hey everyone! I'm just wondering who would be the best person to email to check the status of my application. And do they seem to mind people doing that at all? Thanks for any responses!

Alisa Hewitt! They don't seem to mind! They were always very nice when I would email and ask about mine. I think the email is still [email protected]

I'm still under review at the moment. Applied in mid-February. Unfortunately, I think it's a little late at this point if I were to be accepted. Starting a summer internship soon and then another non-post bac gap year job. I really should have applied in November/December of last year.

I'm still under review at the moment. Applied in mid-February. Unfortunately, I think it's a little late at this point if I were to be accepted. Starting a summer internship soon and then another non-post bac gap year job. I really should have applied in November/December of last year.

Hi buddy, that's great that you have an internship lined up so you can do something awesome during your gap year, but don't give up hope quite yet. From previous years' forums, it seems to me that a lot of people got their acceptances as late as mid-June. They really take each individual applicant into full consideration, that's why this program has such a slowwwww turn-around rate. I'm hoping and praying for you that you randomly get the good news- and if not, congrats on your other opportunities :) This is not a race, and you'll have that white coat in no time. When one door closes, a better one tries to come into your awareness. Chin up! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi buddy, that's great that you have an internship lined up so you can do something awesome during your gap year, but don't give up hope quite yet. From previous years' forums, it seems to me that a lot of people got their acceptances as late as mid-June. They really take each individual applicant into full consideration, that's why this program has such a slowwwww turn-around rate. I'm hoping and praying for you that you randomly get the good news- and if not, congrats on your other opportunities :) This is not a race, and you'll have that white coat in no time. When one door closes, a better one tries to come into your awareness. Chin up! :)
Hey - sorry, I didn't mean to come off as negative-sounding! I do still have hopes of being accepted (it's definitely a slow turn-around); I meant to say that it doesn't seem I'll be able to enroll in the program even if accepted just due to the other commitments. Honestly though, I think it's a great program and VCOM is a great school - I'm sure you all will do great things. Hopefully I'll apply for their regular DO admissions next Summer and I may run into some of you!

Just got my letter of acceptance!!! So unbelievably grateful and excited for this opportunity!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my acceptance yesterday too!!!! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who has been accepted not from Virginia or the surrounding areas? Also, I haven't received a decision yet but was wondering if anyone who has been accepted planning on studying for the mcat during the program?

Anyone who has been accepted not from Virginia or the surrounding areas? Also, I haven't received a decision yet but was wondering if anyone who has been accepted planning on studying for the mcat during the program?

West coast over here. I'm taking the MCAT June 18th, hopefully I do not have to take it again.

I am from California and was accepted last month. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in July! I also was wondering if anyone knows of any events that happen the first weekend after the start of the program. I'm asking because my brother and sister-in-law are getting married that weekend and I will likely be flying to California Friday after classes and back out to Virginia on Sunday. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if this will cause me any problems in the beginning of the program (assuming I study on the plane)...?

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys choose the fixed interest rate or the variable interest rate option when applying for the loan? And will we have to start paying this back when the program is done?

I chose variable rate.

You only have to start paying the loan back when you are out of school for 6 months. So if you go to med school the year following this program, you won't have to pay off your loan for this program until you are out of med school for 6 months.

I'm also interested in seeing if applicants without an MCAT score were admitted to the program. I also applied without taking the MCAT. I'm taking my MCAT next week June 2nd. Wish the best of luck to you futuredrummerdoctor on your MCAT!
Yup I was accepted and I'm not taking my MCAT until July!

Hey all! I applied on the last day of the deadline (I knew about the program 2 weeks before the deadline). I was wondering if others who applied in April have heard anything yet? I email and called Mrs. Hewitt this week and so far no response :/. This program looks like a great opportunity to get into DO school. Ive been reading the thread and it looks like spots are filling up quick! Congrats guys! I hope I get in! *Fingers crossed*

I chose variable rate.

You only have to start paying the loan back when you are out of school for 6 months. So if you go to med school the year following this program, you won't have to pay off your loan for this program until you are out of med school for 6 months.
Also, I took a loan out for $17,000; but they were "charging" me $10,000 on top of that, making my total amount that I'd have to pay back to be $27,000. That's ridiculous, so I declined it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Also, I took a loan out for $17,000; but they were "charging" me $10,000 on top of that, making my total amount that I'd have to pay back to be $27,000. That's ridiculous, so I declined it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Who was that through?