VCOM-VC vs MUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimm

swim. swimm. swimmm.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I have been accepted to both MUCOM and VCOM-VC and am torn between the two. I know the decision is ultimately my own, but any additional opinions or advice would be great. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptances!

I'll be attending MUCOM next fall so I'm probably too biased to compare the schools. Choosing a med school is a very unique personal decision, so here are some things that I have found helpful in considering before selecting which medical school was right for me.

Which school is going to allow you to do your best and best prepare you for boards/residency? Important things to consider are academic curriculum, board preparation, and access to early clinical exposure.

Which rotations will best help you get into the residency spot you want? If you want to practice in a particular region and/or want to practice a certain type of medicine (e.g., rural, urban, etc.), look into which program is strongest in those regards.

Additionally, consider what resources/support are available at the school and in the surrounding area. Med school is brutal, so you want to go someplace that you think will have the most emotional support (e.g., is the school close to family/friends? Does the school have great academic/personal support? Is there a vibrant campus life/student body? Does the surround area have great places to 'recharge' your batteries after a long week of studying? etc)

Finally, if finances are a major factor in your decision-making (personally, they weren't for me because I knew I'd most likely be taking out a huge loan no matter where I attended), this is definitely something to look into. Calling each school's financial aid counselor is really helpful.

Good luck with your decision and congrats again.

are there any current medical students with perspectives on either of these two schools? I am still extremely torn and the deposit deadline is coming up fast!

I loved VCOM on my interview day, felt very comfortable and at home there. It's also nice that they aren't as brand new as MUCOM with a solid board pass rate & match results.

However, I do love the location of MUCOM in Indianapolis and the clinical rotations and opportunities that come with being in a city vs. a more rural/suburban area. I also appreciate how not having a dress code or mandatory attendance would be super nice (although these are not a killer for me).

Thanks so much again! This is still such a toss up for me. :thinking: :shrug:

Dress code and mandatory attendance can really hamper quality of life during years 1 and 2. I would pick Marian.