VCOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trini Bklyn Gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got into both instituitions and I was wondering what are some of the pros and cons of going to either school. I know this has to be a personal decision but I wanted to know what other people taught who got into both, or those that go to each respective instituition.

Thanks for your input and please keep it real!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know very little about VCOM other than that it is fairly new and pretty focused on rural primary care medicine. PCOM is one of the older and possibly most respected DO schools whose students tend to speciailizes more. I guess the decision comes down to where you want to live and what type of medicine you want to go into.

PCOM is the obvious choice. It is a very well respected institution that has been putting out quality physicians in a variety of fields for a very long time. Academically and Clinically I would recommend PCOM as there are tons of quality Doctors and Hospitals in the area. Also, when you do get the rare chance to go out Philly is just a short ride away.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no real good way to answer this question. I can go on and on about what is great about PCOM and only tell you things I get off of the website about VCOM. Very few if any people have the ability to accurately compare to schools because in the end we choose just one. It really comes down to where you want to live and which place felt right on interview day. This thread will have many people bash VCOM for being a new school and then a VCOM student or two coming on to defend it. It will be a vicious cycle. There are enough obvious differences besides age of school to make this choice on. Rotations, focus, curriculum, environment, 76ers in the gym, and more importantly, 76ers cheerleaders in the gym (well for the guys).

That being said I love PCOM and have never thought i should have gone to the other schools I got into.

May I suggest looking at the OPTIs and residency programs affiliated with PCOM and those affiliated with VCOM.

I know 5 years is a long way from now for you, but it trust me - as a first year you will realize just how quickly this becomes important. It takes a lot of political and financial warmongering on part of the school to get those programs.

So this is a very important factor you should take into account.

Also things like cost and location. VCOM, I beleive is right smack middle of Virginia Tech's campus. I think that would be nice. Whereas PCOM is on City Line Avenue, which is a close drive to down town Philadelphia. You could visit St Joe's or Villanova for a basket ball game.

And finally look at the connections the school will have. Generally speaking, older schools will have more of a "web" so to speak. Being one of the founder schools definantly helps you here and there.

In short I would advise you to go to Philadelphia - however I am sure that if you choose VCOM and work hard, you will be fine. Much has to do with your own work ethic. After that will come the outside factors I mentioned.

Best of wishes!
C&C

P-C-O-M

Of course, I'm a little jaded with VCOM seeing as they didn't even send me a secondary and still have me on academic hold:smuggrin:

That and PCOM is my first choice DO school.

I was in the same situation about a month ago and chose PCOM because of their reputation and the greater amount of connections they have for rotations and residencies. Although I loved VCOM's faculty, the friendly spirit at the school, and the beautiful facilities...PCOM is right outside Philly and you have many opportunities to pursue different fields of medicine. VCOM is very focused on primary care rural medicine, and if that is what you want to do, VCOM is it, but if not...PCOM all the way baby.

Two things to point out:

1) PCOM is in Philadelphia, its on the line but it is in Philadelphia. With the way Philadelphia is designed it makes some difference.

2) PCOM does not focus on rural medicine but we do one rotation of rural medicine our 4th year and 2 rotations of urban medicine. This would allow someone to experience both environments.

Plus at PCOM you have almost 28 weeks of elective time to do as much rural medicine as you want (if that is what you want!)

PCOM is pretty much 50/50 with sending its grads to primary care/specialty. That is in line with the MD schools and a bit different than most MD schools.

Excellent facilities, very strong residency programs and affiliation with over 40 area hospitals.

No question PCOM is the more solid choice.

Full disclosure: I am a PCOMer :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I will put them into perspective as to what I want out of this journey.

Are there any VCOM students that know what the residency match process is looking like for this graduating class? (MD/DO match for specialties and primary care)

At PCOM how easy is it to do international rotations during your 3rd and 4th year?

Thanks everyone for your input. I will put them into perspective as to what I want out of this journey.

Are there any VCOM students that know what the residency match process is looking like for this graduating class? (MD/DO match for specialties and primary care)

At PCOM how easy is it to do international rotations during your 3rd and 4th year?

An international rotation is all on you to set up but there are organizations that help you do this. Every year at least one club has a meeting with speakers on how to do this. It would just be one of your electives.

PCOM. Plus you can get some really good rotis nearby!:thumbup: