This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gringito

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven't found a thread for the 2018-2019 VCU CERT program so here it is! I applied at the end of November and was recently offered admission.

sGPA: 3.32; cGPA: 3.32
MCAT: 511
ECs: ER/Family Medicine scribe (current, gap year), volunteer, research, leadership exp, etc.

I've read all the previous CERT SDN threads but would like to hear from recent grads and current students to get the most up to date info. I imagine this thread will also be useful later on with regards to housing recos, course selections, etc.

Please feel free to add your questions and comments!

Good luck to everyone applying and thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I haven't found a thread for the 2018-2019 VCU CERT program so here it is! I applied at the end of November and was recently offered admission.

sGPA: 3.32; cGPA: 3.32
MCAT: 511
ECs: ER/Family Medicine scribe (current, gap year), volunteer, research, leadership exp, etc.

I've read all the previous CERT SDN threads but would like to hear from recent grads and current students to get the most up to date info. I imagine this thread will also be useful later on with regards to housing recos, course selections, etc.

Please feel free to add your questions and comments!

Good luck to everyone applying and thanks for your input.
Feel free to ask me any questions. Current CERT Student

Reactions: 1 user

Awesome. Have several questions.. thanks in advance!
  1. What electives did you/are you taking? Are there any known to be a bit easier than others?
  2. How much do you interact with VCU SOM students and faculty? Are there actual opportunities to network and get get involved within the med school there?
  3. How much useful advising do you all get? I studied at a large university and never once spoke to an academic/career advisor..
  4. Do you recommend students do/buy anything to prepare prior to entering in the fall?
  5. Did you have a choice whether to do VCUs CERT or another similar program? Why choose VCU?
  6. Overall do you feel like it has helped you become a more competitive MD applicant?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Fall Semester I took Biochemistry 503 (5 credit - Mandatory), Physiology 501 (5 credit - Mandatory), Embrology (2 Credit - Elective, 2 week course), Intro to Human Anatomy (2 credit Elective, starts after Embrology ends). Fall semester schedule was pretty much recommended to everyone and was essentially "mandatory." I thought the electives were fair in difficulty, but it's hard to compare a 2 credit to a 5 credit class. I really liked that Embryo finished before Human Anatomy started so we were only dealing with 3 classes/12 credits at a time. In previous years they took Histology instead of the two 2 credit electives.

Spring Semester I am taking Biochemistry 504 (5 credit - Mandatory), Histology (5 credit - "Highly recommended" by VCU Adcom), Shadowing Elective (1 credit - nongraded), and Neuroanatomy (2 credit - Elective). Spring semester has just started but I've heard from previous CERT students of past years that Spring semester is supposed to be a little more lax so you can get things like volunteering hours/shadowing hours/research. I would say most electives are relatively the same in difficulty - although I have heard from others that Cardiac Health and Function is supposed to be difficult but my friends currently in the class say it's not as bad as people make it out to be. But that could depend on how well you understood the Cardio unit in Physiology 501/how interested you are in Cardio

2. I knew a lot of VCU SOM medicine students coming into the program so I wouldn't have an accurate answer for you. On a day to day basis, you aren't really encountering a lot of VCU SOM Students unless you go out of your way to talk to them. So far while shadowing in Spring semester, I have encountered many M3s and I strike up conversations with them about their rotations and the surgery at hand.

As for faculty, many of the professors who teach our CERT classes are professors for VCU SOM Students. I don't know which exact ones but there are definitely some overlaps.

I mean I wouldn't say you can try to network your way into Medical School but there's a definitely some opportunities to talk to VCU SOM ADCOM (Dr. Baker is a Biochem professor and Dr. Whitehurst-Cook speaks with the CERT class at least twice about VCU's Medical School/CERT related info). The Med School has interest clubs but I don't know many people in CERT who are involved with them.

3. We have two program administrators that are pretty involved with us and their door is pretty much always open for you to talk to them about CERT or anything really. They aren't necessarily trained in career advising but they tend to be the previous year's CERT students who are currently applying to medical school. I think the MCV campus also has career advising available but I haven't gone to them. We also get a recommendation letter from Dr. Silberg who sits with us and talks to us about our motivation to pursue medicine and I've heard her sitdown with you helps in writing your personal statement. Dr. Collelo is our program director and he's a pretty great guy - I haven't really gone to him to talk about advising but I'm sure he could help in some capacity if you needed more resources.

4. This is more personal I would say, but prior to starting the program all the biochemistry I knew came from studying for the MCAT. I had never taken biochemistry in undergrad so I took the undergrad version at VCU over the summer since I was already in town by then.

Also there's not much time to do a lot of things outside of CERT so maybe focus on the non-academic part of your MD application over the summer. Volunteer, Scribe, Shadow, Research, whatever you feel like is missing in your application.

I also suggest just relaxing a bit. It's really easy to get burned out studying while in CERT so come into it with a fresh mind and be prepared to work.

5. I chose between VCU and Georgetown. A couple of factors definitely played into it.
a. Financial - VCU's tuition (28,000) is much cheaper than Georgetown's (50,000) as I am a Virginia Resident. Coupled with rent/living situations. My friend attends the Georgetown program and he pays ~$1000/month (without utilities) to live with 6 others whereas I pay less than $800/month (with utilities) to live with one other person in an apartment close to classes. I wanted to save some money at the post-bacc level so I'd have more financial flexibility when choosing a Med School.
b. Academic - I graduated with a poor GPA (~3) and I believed that the curriculum of the two definitely were comparable. Hard enough to prove I've fixed my mistakes yet manageable enough to do well if you put in the work/time. At VCU you are not taking classes with medical school students like at Georgetown. There are pros and cons to that. A pro being that your grade isn't based on a curve that the Med School Students can affect. A con is that I've heard many schools like a postbacc to be on the curve with MS students. But the faculty that teaches our classes are the same medical school faculty so it's not like we are getting easier classes/tests. (Note: VCU's classes are not based on a curve, so it truly shows if you do well how much work you put in to get the grade)
c. Reputation - From my understanding, Georgetown is more reputable than VCU in terms of the Post-Bacc (information from scouring the threads on here) but I still believe that according to Dr. Midlife VCU is one of the more reputable post-baccs/SMP in the country due to its longstanding nature. So I believed that despite choosing a program that wasn't the most reputable, VCU has done a good job pushing candidates into its own Medical School and others. After being in Richmond for a while, every Med School student I have talked to knows about the program and knows a few people who are in the VCU Med School because of it.
d. Guarantee - VCU guarantees you an interview if you perform in the program (>505 MCAT and >3.5 CERT GPA) so I knew that if I put in work I am guaranteed something tangible whereas there were no written guarantees in the other programs I was considering.
e. Personal - I have many friends at VCU, as well as my girlfriend, and I have been to Richmond many times. The transition into Richmond was easy due to this and it also prevented me from having to deal with a long distance relationship so I could focus on school.

6. I think one of the biggest things that was lacking my application was grades. I think performing well in CERT definitely will show MD schools that I can handle the rigor of Med School. I also think I could have used more shadowing and volunteering and I was able to get involved in those pretty easily here. I can't really compare it to another program but I've enjoyed my time in CERT/in Richmond. I think there are a lot of opportunities here that I was able to take advantage of and really can't say a bad thing about this program. It's hard, but not unfair. Definitely feasible to succeed, but you have to commit this year to school and no distractions. I know it's easier said than done but I know many people who got 4.0s so it's not impossible.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I was recently accepted into the CERT program and will be moving to Virginia. I am not familiar with the state of Virginia and was wondering if you could give me some input as to where I should look into living or websites I could look into to find a room mate?

Hey guys! I was recently accepted into the CERT program and will be moving to Virginia. I am not familiar with the state of Virginia and was wondering if you could give me some input as to where I should look into living or websites I could look into to find a room mate?

Hi,

When I was searching for apartments, I primarily used apartments.com to find a few places that worked for me. I currently live at Cedar Broad with one other roommate who is also in the CERT program and we pay about $700 per person in rent (includes basic cable and internet) + $60 per person in Utilities (Electricity and Water). We chose Cedar Broad because the area was relatively safe, rent wasn't too expensive, and it was pretty close to classes. However, I know many CERT students who live further away from our classes (which are mostly near Sanger Hall). If you do choose to live away from campus, do not expect to park on campus. The closest you can park is in A-lot where you can either walk 10 minutes to classes or take a bus to Sanger (7 mins but depends on traffic) - A lot has semester or monthly parking which is not that expensive (maybe $100 a semester?). It's really up to you on what you prefer in a living arrangement in terms of safety, distance to classes, # of roommates, and so forth.

I didn't find my roommate until July so I wouldn't worry about finding a roommate immediately unless you plan on moving to Richmond ASAP (the cheapest per month rent is offered if you have a move in date that is atypical aka not summer months). Eventually a facebook group will appear (maybe one of you can create it and link it here) where people will start figuring out roommates and that's how I found my current roommate. You shouldn't feel required to live with a CERT student, there are many people in the program who don't live with other CERT students because they'd rather live in an area with cheaper rent but I personally would recommend living with another CERT student. I believe it helps having a roommate in the program because your schedules tend to be very similar for exams and classes since most are required or "recommended." It helps having someone you live with running on the same schedule as you so that you can motivate each other to study, can ask questions about a confusing topic, and etc.

Last edited:

Here is the Facebook Group for 2018-2019. The admins of the group are my year's program administrators (Previous CERT Students from 2016-2017)

Just got accepted to the program as well. The program looks really good, the only thing that slightly worries me is that their percentage goes lower and lower every year when you look at people admitted into medical school. Also I thought the class is 100 people but it seems like only around 60 consistently report where they ended up? Does anyone know why that is?

Also do people usually get into other medical schools as well or is this program mostly helpful for getting into their own med school?

Just got accepted to the program as well. The program looks really good, the only thing that slightly worries me is that their percentage goes lower and lower every year when you look at people admitted into medical school. Also I thought the class is 100 people but it seems like only around 60 consistently report where they ended up? Does anyone know why that is?

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this question but I'll try.

Historically, I believe 100 students start but the class dwindles to about 70 towards the end of the program. Dr. Collelo, the new program director, wanted to fix this issue of attrition. So instead of taking three 5 credit courses (Physiology, Biochem 1, and Histology) we were recommended to take the first semester schedule I mentioned above (Embryology, Intro to Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry 1), still difficult but much easier to manage for reasons I mentioned in an earlier post above. So the reason you may have only had 60 people report where they end up is because only 60-70 finished the program historically. The class for 2017-2018 academic year was 100 people and although I'm not sure if anyone has left the program, I do believe that we have had some people leave. Hopefully, with Dr. Collelo and the CERT Program Administrators continued efforts, the issue of attrition will no longer be a factor in the near future.

The Class of 2015, the most recent statistics I could find, had 21 people accepted to VCUSOM and I believe 4 to VCUSOD. Our class is 80% Med, 20% Dental. So assuming only 70 finishing the program in years past like 2015 - 37.5% (21/56) and 28.7%(4/14) get accepted to VCU and I'm sure others were accepted to other professional programs but I don't have the data. Also, I've never seen the historical data you mentioned do you mind sharing it?

Also do people usually get into other medical schools as well or is this program mostly helpful for getting into their own med school?

Not sure about this, I've had 4 friends do the program.
1 friend is currently at VCUSOM, 1 is at Iowa DO, 1 is starting VCU next year, and 1 is applying this upcoming cycle. The first two applied concurrently and started after CERT, the second applied after the program and was admitted I believe, the last one applied this year and hasn't heard back yet but will be applying again this upcoming year.

I have heard of students getting into UVASOM, EVMS, and VTCarilion but I personally don't know them.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of this, it’s really helpful. This is what I found on their website:

Graduation statistics:

The graduating class of 2015 consisted of 63 students. Of those who reported their current status, 80% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 87% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2014 consisted of 60 students. Of those who reported their current status, 81% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2013 consisted of 62 students. Of those who reported their current status, 85% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 100% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2012 consisted of 48 students. Of those who reported their current status, 93% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2011 consisted of 57 students. Of those who reported their current status, 93% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

I currently live in California but I would like to visit the campus and Richmond sometime in April. Does the program have an open house? Couldn’t find anything on their website about it.

My GPA is quite low (3.1) so I will apply to medical school after CERT. Is it common for people to apply afterwards or do most people apply before starting the program?

Going to answer out of order
I currently live in California but I would like to visit the campus and Richmond sometime in April. Does the program have an open house? Couldn’t find anything on their website about it.

No open house I believe. Campus is nice. All your classes are in close proximity to one another (max 3-4 minute walk), right next to the hospital/research buildings too in case you want to shadow or research (wouldn't recommend doing either until 2nd semester since 1st semester is pretty tough). Richmond grows on you pretty fast. It's a city but it doesn't feel as high strung as a city can be. I really love the area and there are lots of things to get involved in around the city if you choose to do so.

My GPA is quite low (3.1) so I will apply to medical school after CERT. Is it common for people to apply afterwards or do most people apply before starting the program?

Don't worry about your GPA that much, I came in with a slightly lower GPA and I've done fine in the program. Just focus when you get here and put in the time and you can do really well.
I believe the tendency is for people to apply afterwards. This is generally because most people have low GPAs coming into the program and need a full year of these classes to show that they can handle medical school. I have a couple friends in the program who applied concurrently and have had some success (waitlists) but it really depends on what your resume looks like from beforehand.

Thank you for all of this, it’s really helpful. This is what I found on their website:

Graduation statistics:

The graduating class of 2015 consisted of 63 students. Of those who reported their current status, 80% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 87% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2014 consisted of 60 students. Of those who reported their current status, 81% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2013 consisted of 62 students. Of those who reported their current status, 85% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 100% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2012 consisted of 48 students. Of those who reported their current status, 93% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

The graduating class of 2011 consisted of 57 students. Of those who reported their current status, 93% have been accepted to medical or dental school, and 98% remain involved in healthcare/biomedical science.

Another thing that I've read about CERT on this forum and I guess personal experience is that they do accept candidates who don't have great GPAs coming out of undergrad so that may be another reason why only 60-70 people historically finished the program. I'm not saying a bad GPA will lead to failure in the program but a bad GPA can be a sign of poor study habits, time management skills, or etc. If you don't correct those in the program, it's highly possible you won't do well and some people are forced to leave because of that.

Another thing is that there are some students who withdraw from Physiology (1st semester mandatory class) and retake it in their 3rd semester of CERT (essentially they don't apply for graduation from the program and finish the program by taking Physiology again in the next class' first semester). I guess in a way they don't technically graduate with their class which could skew the statistics. But this is purely speculative.

In my opinion, post-baccs are a chance for redemption of whatever reasons may have caused you to enroll in one. No post-bacc will (should?) be easy, and CERT is not. It's up to you to put in the time and effort to get to where you want to be. There's a reason why a significant amount get into VCUSOM every year because the ADCOM knows about the nature of the program. I think the professors here are awesome - they make you feel welcome to drop by to ask questions outside of class. We even get free tutors who are previous CERT students who can help us understand material. I really believe anyone can succeed in the program. It's a matter of taking advantage of your resources and also maintaining good study habits. The program is not unfair, it's just difficult in the sense that it takes some time to fully grasp and understand the material to regurgitate on the exam (99% of Exams are not free response if that was confusing).

Lmk if anyone has anymore questions! This is my perspective of the program and I know others will have varying views so take the information in accordingly.

Last edited:
hey guys! I was wondering for the people who got accepted, what were your overall and science GPA and MCAT scores? Also, how long did it take before you received your decision? thank you!

Hey guys, I just received an acceptance email! I was wondering if financial aid would cover full tuition and living expense as well. Does anybody know?
congratulations! can i ask when you applied and what your stats were? im still waiting to hear back and i submitted my application last week!

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations! can i ask when you applied and what your stats were? im still waiting to hear back and i submitted my application last week!
Thanks! I submitted mine on 3/20! It took me about two weeks to hear back! Hopefully you hear back soon too! Good luck!

I submitted my app on March 21 and was accepted on April 2. My cGPA is 3.10, sGPA 2.93, and MCAT 501. Not at all good scores but I also have 3 years patient care experience with phlebotomy and was told by the admissions committee at EVMS that my personal statement is great. I also got into the USF pre-professional Medical Master's program and am currently trying to decide between the two. I'm still waiting for other decisions but as of now am trying to decide between those two. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Questions to previous pre-dental students,

I have to make a decision by the end of this week but I am still undecided whether I should attend or not. I know it is a nice program and the program is considered pretty cheap compared to other programs but the fact that interview is not guaranteed for pre-dental students is holding me back. What does it mean by guaranteed early review? Is it worth it to choose this program for "guaranteed early review"?

I'm taking my MCAT on May 18th, which means I wouldn't get my scores back until mid June. Is that too late for this program?

I'm taking my MCAT on May 18th, which means I wouldn't get my scores back until mid June. Is that too late for this program?

I think the deadline to apply last year was July 15th. I applied June 26th to the program and heard back June 28th. I'm not sure if it would be too late for this year because it can vary. Generally the class has about 100 students so it could fill up depending on how many students accept their offered spots.

Questions to previous pre-dental students,

I have to make a decision by the end of this week but I am still undecided whether I should attend or not. I know it is a nice program and the program is considered pretty cheap compared to other programs but the fact that interview is not guaranteed for pre-dental students is holding me back. What does it mean by guaranteed early review? Is it worth it to choose this program for "guaranteed early review"?

Note I'm not PreDental. From what I've heard from PreDent students is that VCUSOD likes CERT students who do the program and also do the Masters program. I've heard the guaranteed early review is a perk because VCUSOD reviews apps before periodic decisions come out so it gives you a higher chance of Adcom reviewing your app. Last statistics I've seen is the Class of 2015 which had 4/5 people get into VCU Dental.

Also anything that is "guaranteed" only applies after you fully complete the program.

I submitted my app on March 21 and was accepted on April 2. My cGPA is 3.10, sGPA 2.93, and MCAT 501. Not at all good scores but I also have 3 years patient care experience with phlebotomy and was told by the admissions committee at EVMS that my personal statement is great. I also got into the USF pre-professional Medical Master's program and am currently trying to decide between the two. I'm still waiting for other decisions but as of now am trying to decide between those two. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

I've expanded on this program higher up in this thread but feel free to PM me any specific questions or you can ask on here.

Note I'm not PreDental. From what I've heard from PreDent students is that VCUSOD likes CERT students who do the program and also do the Masters program. I've heard the guaranteed early review is a perk because VCUSOD reviews apps before periodic decisions come out so it gives you a higher chance of Adcom reviewing your app. Last statistics I've seen is the Class of 2015 which had 4/5 people get into VCU Dental.

Also anything that is "guaranteed" only applies after you fully complete the program.
Did those 4/5 people who got into VCU Dental finish CERT program only or masters as well?

Did those 4/5 people who got into VCU Dental finish CERT program only or masters as well?

Not sure, it seems like most PreDent students do the Masters program. They are highly encouraged by Adcom to do so

Does anyone know if MD schools would prefer to see a student do well in the VCU CERT program or EVMS medical masters program?

The website doesn't list shadowing or mcat prep in their courses. Do you get to do those anyway or do you have to specifically ask?

The website doesn't list shadowing or mcat prep in their courses. Do you get to do those anyway or do you have to specifically ask?
So the MCAT prep course is a separate. It's not for credit so you would have to do it on your own time.
Shadowing is a course we were able to do this year and I'm not sure why it's not on the list of courses. It's 1 credit pass/fail. I'm not sure if they're removing it or the website might not just be updated (research is also 1 credit btw but it says 3 credits on the website).

Trying to bring this thread back alive.

I was accepted and will most likely attend. Pre-med btw.
Undergrad: 2.69
"Do it yourself" post-bacc: 3.97
MCAT: 500, but I took it before post-bacc without having taken half the courses on it. Gonna retake this year.

Just want something clarified. The guaranteed interview is for the application cycle following completion of CERT right? Which would be for 2020 start. If that's the case, I think I'll try my luck anyways for 2019.

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer this question but I'll try.
1 friend is currently at VCUSOM, 1 is at Iowa DO, 1 is starting VCU next year, and 1 is applying this upcoming cycle. The first two applied concurrently and started after CERT

So the friend that started at VCUSOM didn't technically have that guaranteed interview? I'm starting the program this fall and I feel like my stats are good enough to apply this cycle, so I was wondering if I do apply to VCUSOM and let them know I am in CERT if that will give me any chance of beginning medical school after CERT is finished. I have a 512 MCAT 3.5 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA so I definitely do need a post-bacc for the GPA boost but don't want to spend that extra year and would rather apply this cycle.

Also, how does the masters program work? Do you just stay for a year of research after the first year or do you take more classes to get the MS?

Yes you are correct, he did not have the VCUSOM guaranteed interview. I think you can let them know you are in CERT and send them updates of your CERT grades.

And yes basically. Maybe one or two classes on research techniques but not quite sure the specific classes,. Most of it is research and writing a thesis/defending it towards the end.

Has anyone currently or in the past received an email stating that "the admissions committee has decided to temporarily put your application on hold for further review at a later date"? Does anyone know what this means? I applied about a month ago and I just now got an email saying that and that I'll find out no later than July 2, I was really hoping it would be sooner because of other schools I need to make decisions on.

Hi Ppushpak!

What Georgetown program are you refering too? The Special Master One-year program or the George Squared program that works with GMU and GU?

Thanks!
-Tabby

1. Fall Semester I took Biochemistry 503 (5 credit - Mandatory), Physiology 501 (5 credit - Mandatory), Embrology (2 Credit - Elective, 2 week course), Intro to Human Anatomy (2 credit Elective, starts after Embrology ends). Fall semester schedule was pretty much recommended to everyone and was essentially "mandatory." I thought the electives were fair in difficulty, but it's hard to compare a 2 credit to a 5 credit class. I really liked that Embryo finished before Human Anatomy started so we were only dealing with 3 classes/12 credits at a time. In previous years they took Histology instead of the two 2 credit electives.

Spring Semester I am taking Biochemistry 504 (5 credit - Mandatory), Histology (5 credit - "Highly recommended" by VCU Adcom), Shadowing Elective (1 credit - nongraded), and Neuroanatomy (2 credit - Elective). Spring semester has just started but I've heard from previous CERT students of past years that Spring semester is supposed to be a little more lax so you can get things like volunteering hours/shadowing hours/research. I would say most electives are relatively the same in difficulty - although I have heard from others that Cardiac Health and Function is supposed to be difficult but my friends currently in the class say it's not as bad as people make it out to be. But that could depend on how well you understood the Cardio unit in Physiology 501/how interested you are in Cardio

2. I knew a lot of VCU SOM medicine students coming into the program so I wouldn't have an accurate answer for you. On a day to day basis, you aren't really encountering a lot of VCU SOM Students unless you go out of your way to talk to them. So far while shadowing in Spring semester, I have encountered many M3s and I strike up conversations with them about their rotations and the surgery at hand.

As for faculty, many of the professors who teach our CERT classes are professors for VCU SOM Students. I don't know which exact ones but there are definitely some overlaps.

I mean I wouldn't say you can try to network your way into Medical School but there's a definitely some opportunities to talk to VCU SOM ADCOM (Dr. Baker is a Biochem professor and Dr. Whitehurst-Cook speaks with the CERT class at least twice about VCU's Medical School/CERT related info). The Med School has interest clubs but I don't know many people in CERT who are involved with them.

3. We have two program administrators that are pretty involved with us and their door is pretty much always open for you to talk to them about CERT or anything really. They aren't necessarily trained in career advising but they tend to be the previous year's CERT students who are currently applying to medical school. I think the MCV campus also has career advising available but I haven't gone to them. We also get a recommendation letter from Dr. Silberg who sits with us and talks to us about our motivation to pursue medicine and I've heard her sitdown with you helps in writing your personal statement. Dr. Collelo is our program director and he's a pretty great guy - I haven't really gone to him to talk about advising but I'm sure he could help in some capacity if you needed more resources.

4. This is more personal I would say, but prior to starting the program all the biochemistry I knew came from studying for the MCAT. I had never taken biochemistry in undergrad so I took the undergrad version at VCU over the summer since I was already in town by then.

Also there's not much time to do a lot of things outside of CERT so maybe focus on the non-academic part of your MD application over the summer. Volunteer, Scribe, Shadow, Research, whatever you feel like is missing in your application.

I also suggest just relaxing a bit. It's really easy to get burned out studying while in CERT so come into it with a fresh mind and be prepared to work.

5. I chose between VCU and Georgetown. A couple of factors definitely played into it.
a. Financial - VCU's tuition (28,000) is much cheaper than Georgetown's (50,000) as I am a Virginia Resident. Coupled with rent/living situations. My friend attends the Georgetown program and he pays ~$1000/month (without utilities) to live with 6 others whereas I pay less than $800/month (with utilities) to live with one other person in an apartment close to classes. I wanted to save some money at the post-bacc level so I'd have more financial flexibility when choosing a Med School.
b. Academic - I graduated with a poor GPA (~3) and I believed that the curriculum of the two definitely were comparable. Hard enough to prove I've fixed my mistakes yet manageable enough to do well if you put in the work/time. At VCU you are not taking classes with medical school students like at Georgetown. There are pros and cons to that. A pro being that your grade isn't based on a curve that the Med School Students can affect. A con is that I've heard many schools like a postbacc to be on the curve with MS students. But the faculty that teaches our classes are the same medical school faculty so it's not like we are getting easier classes/tests. (Note: VCU's classes are not based on a curve, so it truly shows if you do well how much work you put in to get the grade)
c. Reputation - From my understanding, Georgetown is more reputable than VCU in terms of the Post-Bacc (information from scouring the threads on here) but I still believe that according to Dr. Midlife VCU is one of the more reputable post-baccs/SMP in the country due to its longstanding nature. So I believed that despite choosing a program that wasn't the most reputable, VCU has done a good job pushing candidates into its own Medical School and others. After being in Richmond for a while, every Med School student I have talked to knows about the program and knows a few people who are in the VCU Med School because of it.
d. Guarantee - VCU guarantees you an interview if you perform in the program (>505 MCAT and >3.5 CERT GPA) so I knew that if I put in work I am guaranteed something tangible whereas there were no written guarantees in the other programs I was considering.
e. Personal - I have many friends at VCU, as well as my girlfriend, and I have been to Richmond many times. The transition into Richmond was easy due to this and it also prevented me from having to deal with a long distance relationship so I could focus on school.

6. I think one of the biggest things that was lacking my application was grades. I think performing well in CERT definitely will show MD schools that I can handle the rigor of Med School. I also think I could have used more shadowing and volunteering and I was able to get involved in those pretty easily here. I can't really compare it to another program but I've enjoyed my time in CERT/in Richmond. I think there are a lot of opportunities here that I was able to take advantage of and really can't say a bad thing about this program. It's hard, but not unfair. Definitely feasible to succeed, but you have to commit this year to school and no distractions. I know it's easier said than done but I know many people who got 4.0s so it's not impossible.

Here is the Facebook Group for 2018-2019. The admins of the group are my year's program administrators (Previous CERT Students from 2016-2017)

Hey, so I know this is an old post but I'm considering doing a post bacc at VCU and I just wanted to check up on you and see where you are now that it's been a year and you're done with your post bacc.
Were you able to get into medical school?
Also when you do a post bacc should letters of recommendation come from post bacc professors or can some come from undergraduate professors?

Hey, so I know this is an old post but I'm considering doing a post bacc at VCU and I just wanted to check up on you and see where you are now that it's been a year and you're done with your post bacc.
Were you able to get into medical school?
Also when you do a post bacc should letters of recommendation come from post bacc professors or can some come from undergraduate professors?

Hey, I finished the post bacc last May and I got into VCUSOM on February 1st 2019.
Most of my letters did not come from the post bacc Professors, I don’t think it is recommended. You will receive an LOR from the post bacc advisor. Lmk if you have more questions

Hi! I was recently “recommended for acceptance” into the VCUCERT program with 10 days to accept the offer. Does anyone know what this means? If I accept the offer is this equivalent to committing to attend the program?