VCU/MCV Class of 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMagic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing that MCV isn't on this list yet, I thought it would be a good idea to add it now. So if you've gotten in post something. Perhaps by the time orientation rolls around we will have made good e-friends with each other

Members don't see this ad.

MedicalMagic said:
Seeing that MCV isn't on this list yet, I thought it would be a good idea to add it now. So if you've gotten in post something. Perhaps by the time orientation rolls around we will have made good e-friends with each other

Hey Im in! I'm from Richmond so it will be nice to be back in my hometown. I can't wait :thumbup: , undergrad sucks. :thumbdown:

I got in too, are you positive you're going to MCV? What's Richmond like living there? Lots of people say it's dangerous and crime-ridden, but when I was there for the interview I felt like it was pretty cool around the med. center and near my hotel there were some late night spots, like bars and restaurants? You know anything about the suburbs of Richmond?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiousity, when did you guys interview and when did you hear back?

Thanks

MedicalMagic said:
I got in too, are you positive you're going to MCV? What's Richmond like living there? Lots of people say it's dangerous and crime-ridden, but when I was there for the interview I felt like it was pretty cool around the med. center and near my hotel there were some late night spots, like bars and restaurants? You know anything about the suburbs of Richmond?

Yeah, Im definitely positive. Richmond can be bad, so I definitely dont plan on living there! The best place to live is the West End, (Short Pump), people call it many things. Only about 20 minutes away and very nice. Hundreds of thousands of apartments to choose from. Has been extremely "built-up" in the past few years with a new designer mall, and all the restaurants and stores that flock in around that. The area is great. The area around MCV in the daytime is nice, and that's not really the bad part of Richmond anyway. I mean, Im not going to walk around school by myself at night but thats how it is in any city. Anything else you want to know about where to live just ask, I am from the suburbs of Richmond.

Other poster: Interviewed in Sept. I think the 9th?? And accepted 10/15.

As the may 15th deadline approaches, people with multiple acceptances have to make a decision. This is for all those people who are on the fence between VCU and another school:

Richmond is ranked now as the 5th most dangerous city in the US. This is not just an aberation. Richmond had the country's fourth highest murder rate in 2003 and was ranked the nation's ninth most dangerous city overall in 2004. When people think dangerous they think Compton or Oakland. Richmond out ranks Compton by 10 spots and Oakland by 16. Even worse,VCU medical school is situated in one of the most dangerous parts of Richmond. A few months ago, there were 6 armed robberies in one day on or in the close proximity (4 blocks) of VCU campus. In the beginning of the school year, a murder victim was found dumped next to the undergraduate student parking deck... Awesome

There is no on-campus parking, as I figure most of you were told during your interviews. You have to walk around 10-15 blocks depending on where you park, just to get to your car. While that does not seem that bad, the parking places are in relatively secluded areas as that was the only land available in the already developed city of Richmond. That is a comforting notion in a bad part of a dangerous city. Imagine having to walk from the library to your car at 10 o'clock after a long night of studying.

On a less violent note: The main hospital of VCU is 100 feet from the white house of the confederacy. The 'white house' sits between the hospital, the dental school and the hospital's visitor parking deck. While that may seem cool to all you racists, uhhh... i mean civil war buffs, in actuality its not so cool. Nothing is more welcoming to an African American student than having the white house of the confederacy as part of your campus.

While, I have nothing bad to say about the school itself, I personally would rather not be shot during my medical school experience.

Instatewaiter said:
As the may 15th deadline approaches, people with multiple acceptances have to make a decision. This is for all those people who are on the fence between VCU and another school:

Richmond is ranked now as the 5th most dangerous city in the US. This is not just an aberation. Richmond had the country's fourth highest murder rate in 2003 and was ranked the nation's ninth most dangerous city overall in 2004. When people think dangerous they think Compton or Oakland. Richmond out ranks Compton by 10 spots and Oakland by 16. Even worse,VCU medical school is situated in one of the most dangerous parts of Richmond. A few months ago, there were 6 armed robberies in one day on or in the close proximity (4 blocks) of VCU campus. In the beginning of the school year, a murder victim was found dumped next to the undergraduate student parking deck... Awesome

There is no on-campus parking, as I figure most of you were told during your interviews. You have to walk around 10-15 blocks depending on where you park, just to get to your car. While that does not seem that bad, the parking places are in relatively secluded areas as that was the only land available in the already developed city of Richmond. That is a comforting notion in a bad part of a dangerous city. Imagine having to walk from the library to your car at 10 o'clock after a long night of studying.

On a less violent note: The main hospital of VCU is 100 feet from the white house of the confederacy. The 'white house' sits between the hospital, the dental school and the hospital's visitor parking deck. While that may seem cool to all you racists, uhhh... i mean civil war buffs, in actuality its not so cool. Nothing is more welcoming to an African American student than having the white house of the confederacy as part of your campus.

While, I have nothing bad to say about the school itself, I personally would rather not be shot during my medical school experience.

Most top medical schools are in "bad" neighborhoods. You can only get interesting medical cases in such areas.

I just got accepted today! This is my only acceptance so far so we will see what the summer brings...

wow, instatewaiter really wants ppl to withdraw.

by the way, there are 2 on-campus parking lots with shuttles going to and from campus. these get sold out quickly so thats why ppl end up parking off campus.

i dont know where you're getting the 10-15 block stuff but the off campus lot where most ppl park is only like 5 blocks from campus.

nice try though ;)

Hey... I am from Buffalo NY, but I went to VCU for my Master's in biology from 2002-2004 and most of my classes were at the MCV campus. I did not experience anything remotely uncomforting or dangerous about the area and I walked from 7th and leigh to 12th and clay regularly (5 blocks by 3 blocks). The school is very nice and in a fairly good location. As for 5th ranked in crime, I would guess most of that occurs on the east side (maybe some in the lower income parts of southside and north but most of these areas are fine!) I frequently heard of crime on the east side, but I never knew it to extend into the main part of downtown. I lived in the West End (on Parham about 8 mi from the academic campus, 9 mi from the medical campus) and that area is GREAT! I ran at night all the time... and down monument too...which extends to the academic campus...there were ALWAYS people out and about until 12am or so. I rode my bike all spring/summer and most of fall from my apartment to the MCV campus and NEVER had a problem. I would question those who say Richmond is a bad place to live. Perhaps they are just uninformed. I LOVE RICHMOND! :) :)

SugarNaCl said:
Hey... I am from Buffalo NY, but I went to VCU for my Master's in biology from 2002-2004 and most of my classes were at the MCV campus. I did not experience anything remotely uncomforting or dangerous about the area and I walked from 7th and leigh to 12th and clay regularly (5 blocks by 3 blocks). The school is very nice and in a fairly good location. As for 5th ranked in crime, I would guess most of that occurs on the east side (maybe some in the lower income parts of southside and north but most of these areas are fine!) I frequently heard of crime on the east side, but I never knew it to extend into the main part of downtown. I lived in the West End (on Parham about 8 mi from the academic campus, 9 mi from the medical campus) and that area is GREAT! I ran at night all the time... and down monument too...which extends to the academic campus...there were ALWAYS people out and about until 12am or so. I rode my bike all spring/summer and most of fall from my apartment to the MCV campus and NEVER had a problem. I would question those who say Richmond is a bad place to live. Perhaps they are just uninformed. I LOVE RICHMOND! :) :)
That's reassuring to hear. Any good recommendations of apartments or sections to live in more walking distance or public transportation distance to MCV?

VCU/MCV thread was on the list (we kept the thread on top of the list for quite a while), but I think most people like myself migrated to the forum that is provided for us by MCV themself, but I think people are scare to talk on that one :laugh:

PS: There is a lot of apt info on that forum. The password is under your application login page.

cgk said:
That's reassuring to hear. Any good recommendations of apartments or sections to live in more walking distance or public transportation distance to MCV?

Yeah... I'd say your best bet for living would be just west of the academic campus. It is close to MCV, but they have more apartment availability there. I had friends that lived on Grove and loved it (or around there... I wouldn't go north of Grace street close to campus though) ... its a slightly rougher area. Most of these apartments on the streets around Grove (unless you want to live in a highrise) are 4 apartment houses. They are very nice, but will run you about 700-750/mo. They have a campus connect shuttle from acadmic to MCV campus also to facilitate your commute. If you are willing to drive in, I really liked where I stayed... Gateway Apts in the West End on Parham. Very nice and only $530/mo for a LARGE one bedroom apt in 2004... huge living room 27*14, kitchenette, bath and 14*14 bdrm not including the huge full wall closet. I loved it! Pool and exercise room too and close to EVERYTHING you would need (aka regency mall, tons of restaurants, tons of shopping!) If you need to live toward campus...def check out west cary, monument, west franklin, Grove or any streets off of them. Please enjoy Richmond for me! :)

SugarNaCl said:
Yeah... I'd say your best bet for living would be just west of the academic campus. It is close to MCV, but they have more apartment availability there. I had friends that lived on Grove and loved it (or around there... I wouldn't go north of Grace street close to campus though) ... its a slightly rougher area. Most of these apartments on the streets around Grove (unless you want to live in a highrise) are 4 apartment houses. They are very nice, but will run you about 700-750/mo. They have a campus connect shuttle from acadmic to MCV campus also to facilitate your commute. If you are willing to drive in, I really liked where I stayed... Gateway Apts in the West End on Parham. Very nice and only $530/mo for a LARGE one bedroom apt in 2004... huge living room 27*14, kitchenette, bath and 14*14 bdrm not including the huge full wall closet. I loved it! Pool and exercise room too and close to EVERYTHING you would need (aka regency mall, tons of restaurants, tons of shopping!) If you need to live toward campus...def check out west cary, monument, west franklin, Grove or any streets off of them. Please enjoy Richmond for me! :)
Anybody have opinion of the Tobacco Row Apartments located on 2 South
25th Street? Can you commute to and fro the school from this location with public transportation? Please advise. Thanks!

Hi,

Are all these for off-campus. I'm having some serious problems trying to find people to contact. I'll be starting at the dental school this fall, and have no clue how to go about looking for on-campus housing (that would be my preference, something close by), how to apply for it, deadlines?

I'm thinking of going to Richmond in a couple weeks and checking things out. Do you guys have any sites or suggestions or somewhere I can contact? Is there anyone who is already a student there or will be one this year?

THANKS.

SugarNaCl said:

CGK...I'm sorry... 25th...tobacco row...BAD, BAD, BAD area to live, I think.... South EAST of the city...rough neighborhood...I avoided it...esp at night, but there are some well protected apts down there...ie secure highrises

I just graduated from Davidson College and I am on the waitlist at VCU SOM for next year. If I don't get in this year, I will do the Postbac program for a year at VCU. I am a 23 year old, non-smoker, laid-back male who is looking for a roomate(s) to live in downtown Richmond. I am interested in Medicine, Christianity, Funny Movies, Guitar, Traveling, etc. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Thanks,
Ryan s