VCU/MCV Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ours was like 11 August or something like that. First or second week of August. You coming here?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when orientation begins?

I can't find my 2009-2010 academic calendar at the moment, but it is typically the second week of August.

Ours was like 11 August or something like that. First or second week of August. You coming here?

I haven't decided yet. It's going to be here or Maryland unless I get significant financial aid from NYMC or EVMS (unlikely). It's going to be really difficult to turn down Maryland because it was one of my dream schools before applying and it's so difficult to get in OOS, but there's so much pulling me towards VCU. I don't know if it'd be worth uprooting my entire life and going into more debt to go to Maryland.

Here's a question for you guys - what's the typical class schedule like? Are lectures audio- and/or video-recorded and posted online?

Oh, and the reason I'm asking about orientation is because I'll be a performer in the mainstage shows at Kings Dominion this summer, and I need to know when I should have my contract end... If any of you guys are going to be around for the summer you should definitely come out to see the shows and ride some rides! [/shameless promotion]

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't decided yet. It's going to be here or Maryland unless I get significant financial aid from NYMC or EVMS (unlikely). It's going to be really difficult to turn down Maryland because it was one of my dream schools before applying and it's so difficult to get in OOS, but there's so much pulling me towards VCU. I don't know if it'd be worth uprooting my entire life and going into more debt to go to Maryland.

Here's a question for you guys - what's the typical class schedule like? Are lectures audio- and/or video-recorded and posted online?

Oh, and the reason I'm asking about orientation is because I'll be a performer in the mainstage shows at Kings Dominion this summer, and I need to know when I should have my contract end... If any of you guys are going to be around for the summer you should definitely come out to see the shows and ride some rides! [/shameless promotion]

I just looked it up-orientation begins August 10, classes begin August 17.

And our class schedule is typically 8am-noon 5 days a week and then one day a week you have FCM/preceptor from 1pm-4pm in the afternoon. There are rare afternoon lectures for 1-2 hours but they don't happen very often. Most of our lectures are recorded both as audio files and as audio synced with powerpoints. The lecturers have the option to opt out of recording but they rarely do.

I just looked it up-orientation begins August 10, classes begin August 17.

And our class schedule is typically 8am-noon 5 days a week and then one day a week you have FCM/preceptor from 1pm-4pm in the afternoon. There are rare afternoon lectures for 1-2 hours but they don't happen very often. Most of our lectures are recorded both as audio files and as audio synced with powerpoints. The lecturers have the option to opt out of recording but they rarely do.

Great, thanks for the response. So anatomy would be in the afternoons? How many days per week is it?

Great, thanks for the response. So anatomy would be in the afternoons? How many days per week is it?

Anatomy begins at the end of October, if I remember correctly, and you typically have lecture from 8am-10am and then lab from 10am-noon. There is no required time in the lab but they are open 24 hours a day to study on your own. Some people spend a lot of afternoons/evenings and others (myself included) only went from 10-noon.

Anatomy begins at the end of October, if I remember correctly, and you typically have lecture from 8am-10am and then lab from 10am-noon. There is no required time in the lab but they are open 24 hours a day to study on your own. Some people spend a lot of afternoons/evenings and others (myself included) only went from 10-noon.

Thanks! For some reason I thought anatomy lab was in the afternoon.

Hey current students, I've got a quick question...

I am going to performing for the summer with Kings Dominion. The schedule for the shows runs during the week until August 16th. After that, the shows run on weekends only until September 7th. I know that I wouldn't be able to perform during the week of August 10th for orientation, but do you think it would feasible to still perform on weekends until September 7th? It would only be on Saturdays/Sundays for about 4 hours each day.

Thanks guys!

I will be attending in the fall!

Don't live in the city - it's dirty, dangerous and dilapidated. Live in the West End.

I will be attending in the fall!

Don't live in the city - it's dirty, dangerous and dilapidated. Live in the West End.

It's not that bad. I went to VCU for undergrad and commuted all four years from about 15 miles away. That is NOT a fun thing to do, and I imagine it would be even less of a blast during med school.

Yeah, a lot of my classmates live in the city and like it. The only reason I chose to live outside the city is that I have 2 dogs and it is much easier to find a place that has a yard and places to walk your dogs in the West end.

Every year I post a little guide to Richmond for those not from the Richmond area. I am a Richmond native and have lived here essentially all my life. This should help you guys out. I posted this a couple years ago:

Here are a few terms about Richmond Living:
West End- west of the city (duh). Where it begins is arguable but since things are moving west, anything west of Glenside Dr is a good guide. This term is generally used for things much further west all the way to the short pump mall.

South Side- anything across the James river from the city.

The fan the area boxed east to west by belvedere st to boulevard and north and south by Broad St and Cary St. The roads in the fan FAN out hence the name "the fan". See later in my post.

the museum district- the western extension of the fan. Its boarders are: east to west- from boulevard to thompson. North to south from broad street to cary street (many still call this the fan)

350px-RichmondFanDistrict.jpg

in the above picture MCV is located right above where the purple line intersects the 2nd O of downtown

Sketch areas that you probably don't want to live in include: oregon hill, Jackson ward, Randolph, or anything with court in it (ie Gilpin court). Also, dont live right across the river from downtown (ie called manchester on the second picture). Finally dont live too far north of broad street in church hill. For those of you that went to the financial aid workshop the director lady told you that Jackson ward is a good area to live in. I pretty much crapped myself when she told you that. Jackson ward is a really sketchy, pretty dangerous part of Richmond. Don't live there if you dont have to.

Here is a second picture that shows things a bit further east
350px-DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

Here MCV is located right around where it says "court end"

The Fan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_District
Note that while Wikipedia doesnt consider west of boulevard 'the fan' many in Richmond do. Others refer to west of boulevard as "the museum district." Either way it is nice to live near carytown (shopping/eating area). You will be good living pretty much anywhere in the fan area. But the further away (west) from the undergrad campus, the quieter things will be. Generally around the 2000 block (of streets parallel w/ broad st) you should be in good shape. Other considerations are that there are a lot of bars on Robinson. So you might want to live around there (i think about 2500 block). The further west you go, generally the safer things get.

Church Hill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill
Note that you dont want to live very far north of Broad street. If you can, stay SOUTH of broad street (red line going up church hill). Really I cant stress this enough. If you go like 10 blocks north of broad around church hill you will get shot. Only half kidding about this. South of broad street has some very beautiful areas and some very nice apts. North of broad is a great place to buy crack. You see the dark black line going north of church hill, that is where the projects are and is arguably one of the most dangerous area of Richmond. So stay away from it.

Shockoe Bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockoe_Bottom
Apts are spotted throughout here generally above shops or in converted industrial buildings. The apts generally have a lot of character but, it can get loud if you are near the clubs/bars. Most of my class lives in the bottom so that is a consideration, plus it is nice and close to MCV. Basically on a decent day you can walk from the bottom. Things can get pricey here but if you look you can find a cheap place.

Here is my update from the past year or so:
I had been hearing a lot of talk about the new revitalization of the Manchester area. I was curious about how much they could have done and my girlfriend was looking for a place to live so we decided to head across the river. I am not too sure what people consider a 'revitalization' but it didnt look a whole lot different. I'd still recommend not living there (well that is unless you plan to sling crack to pay for school-which i also do not recommend- but Glenda Palmer, the financial aid lady, always encourages us to be creative to save money. She may recommend differently than I do. Perhaps you should e-mail her).

Now a bit west from manchester you get to the Westover Hills/Forrest Hill Ave area (still in the southside). It is a bit of a drive but using the Nickel Bridge (which funny enough has a 40 cent toll) it takes around 10 minutes to get to school. This is a pretty safe area and you can get a pretty nice house to rent or buy for really, really cheap. Of the south-side area, this is probably one of your better options based on price and distance from school. This is right across the river from where the "fan" turns into the "museum district"

The Fan
Stretches of the fan are surrounded by kinda sketchy areas. In some stretches of broad you may feel unsafe. My GF lived on Grace a few years back and the alley behind her building was shared with the shops on broad st. While I felt perfectly safe, she often felt uneasy walking alone at night. So if you are a female and are worried about safety or just a sissy, living south of Grace would be best. The interior of the fan (the streets around grove, hanover, stuart) is pretty darn safe. The museum district is also really very safe.

The West end-
This is where I grew up so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Unquestionably the safest and nicest area of Richmond. Can be a bit of a hike to class ranging from 15-45 minutes based on what part of the west end you live in. The apt prices vary wildly from obscenely expensive to pretty cheap.

Church Hill
I re-read what I wrote and it basically sounds like church hill is a war zone. It is not. South of broad is very very nice. Some of the nicest apts I have seen in R-Va are in Church hill. The people I know that live there feel safe. That said, stay south of broad because the projects really are about 10-15 blocks north with a nice little transition zone starting about 6 blocks north of broad. Stay south of broad and you will be fine and shouldnt feel unsafe.

I currently live in the fan/museum district. There are pros and cons about each area. My class is spread mainly in Downtown and the fan. There are probably a few dozen who live in the southside or west end. If you have questions feel free to PM me. If you have a specific apt complex in mind I probably wont be able to help you since I have limited exposure to the thousands of apt complexes in Richmond. But if you are worried about an area or want some input, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Every year I post a little guide to Richmond for those not from the Richmond area. I am a Richmond native and have lived here essentially all my life. This should help you guys out. I posted this a couple years ago:

Here are a few terms about Richmond Living:
West End- west of the city (duh). Where it begins is arguable but since things are moving west, anything west of Glenside Dr is a good guide. This term is generally used for things much further west all the way to the short pump mall.

South Side- anything across the James river from the city.

The fan the area boxed east to west by belvedere st to boulevard and north and south by Broad St and Cary St. The roads in the fan FAN out hence the name "the fan". See later in my post.

the museum district- the western extension of the fan. Its boarders are: east to west- from boulevard to thompson. North to south from broad street to cary street (many still call this the fan)

350px-RichmondFanDistrict.jpg

in the above picture MCV is located right above where the purple line intersects the 2nd O of downtown

Sketch areas that you probably don't want to live in include: oregon hill, Jackson ward, Randolph, or anything with court in it (ie Gilpin court). Also, dont live right across the river from downtown (ie called manchester on the second picture). Finally dont live too far north of broad street in church hill. For those of you that went to the financial aid workshop the director lady told you that Jackson ward is a good area to live in. I pretty much crapped myself when she told you that. Jackson ward is a really sketchy, pretty dangerous part of Richmond. Don't live there if you dont have to.

Here is a second picture that shows things a bit further east
350px-DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

Here MCV is located right around where it says "court end"

The Fan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_District
Note that while Wikipedia doesnt consider west of boulevard 'the fan' many in Richmond do. Others refer to west of boulevard as "the museum district." Either way it is nice to live near carytown (shopping/eating area). You will be good living pretty much anywhere in the fan area. But the further away (west) from the undergrad campus, the quieter things will be. Generally around the 2000 block (of streets parallel w/ broad st) you should be in good shape. Other considerations are that there are a lot of bars on Robinson. So you might want to live around there (i think about 2500 block). The further west you go, generally the safer things get.

Church Hill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill
Note that you dont want to live very far north of Broad street. If you can, stay SOUTH of broad street (red line going up church hill). Really I cant stress this enough. If you go like 10 blocks north of broad around church hill you will get shot. Only half kidding about this. South of broad street has some very beautiful areas and some very nice apts. North of broad is a great place to buy crack. You see the dark black line going north of church hill, that is where the projects are and is arguably one of the most dangerous area of Richmond. So stay away from it.

Shockoe Bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockoe_Bottom
Apts are spotted throughout here generally above shops or in converted industrial buildings. The apts generally have a lot of character but, it can get loud if you are near the clubs/bars. Most of my class lives in the bottom so that is a consideration, plus it is nice and close to MCV. Basically on a decent day you can walk from the bottom. Things can get pricey here but if you look you can find a cheap place.

Here is my update from the past year or so:
I had been hearing a lot of talk about the new revitalization of the Manchester area. I was curious about how much they could have done and my girlfriend was looking for a place to live so we decided to head across the river. I am not too sure what people consider a 'revitalization' but it didnt look a whole lot different. I'd still recommend not living there (well that is unless you plan to sling crack to pay for school-which i also do not recommend- but Glenda Palmer, the financial aid lady, always encourages us to be creative to save money. She may recommend differently than I do. Perhaps you should e-mail her).

Now a bit west from manchester you get to the Westover Hills/Forrest Hill Ave area (still in the southside). It is a bit of a drive but using the Nickel Bridge (which funny enough has a 40 cent toll) it takes around 10 minutes to get to school. This is a pretty safe area and you can get a pretty nice house to rent or buy for really, really cheap. Of the south-side area, this is probably one of your better options based on price and distance from school. This is right across the river from where the "fan" turns into the "museum district"

The Fan
Stretches of the fan are surrounded by kinda sketchy areas. In some stretches of broad you may feel unsafe. My GF lived on Grace a few years back and the alley behind her building was shared with the shops on broad st. While I felt perfectly safe, she often felt uneasy walking alone at night. So if you are a female and are worried about safety or just a sissy, living south of Grace would be best. The interior of the fan (the streets around grove, hanover, stuart) is pretty darn safe. The museum district is also really very safe.

The West end-
This is where I grew up so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Unquestionably the safest and nicest area of Richmond. Can be a bit of a hike to class ranging from 15-45 minutes based on what part of the west end you live in. The apt prices vary wildly from obscenely expensive to pretty cheap.

Church Hill
I re-read what I wrote and it basically sounds like church hill is a war zone. It is not. South of broad is very very nice. Some of the nicest apts I have seen in R-Va are in Church hill. The people I know that live there feel safe. That said, stay south of broad because the projects really are about 10-15 blocks north with a nice little transition zone starting about 6 blocks north of broad. Stay south of broad and you will be fine and shouldnt feel unsafe.

I currently live in the fan/museum district. There are pros and cons about each area. My class is spread mainly in Downtown and the fan. There are probably a few dozen who live in the southside or west end. If you have questions feel free to PM me. If you have a specific apt complex in mind I probably wont be able to help you since I have limited exposure to the thousands of apt complexes in Richmond. But if you are worried about an area or want some input, feel free to PM me.

As usual, a good review of Richmond housing from Instatewaiter! I completely agree with what he/she has posted. If your like I was and aren't able to look in person for housing the West End is probably your best bet. I lived there during M1 and it was nice enough. I currently live in the Forest Hill area by 150/Chippenham highway and I love it. It's a faster drive than my West end apt because I avoid the freeway and it's quieter-my neighborhood is very quiet and I love to walk my dogs through the neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 23 year old female planning on moving to Richmond in August and will be starting graduate school on the MCV campus (the MHA program). I am interested in finding **NON-SMOKING** roommates that are also in a graduate program there.

I would prefer not to pay over 700 a month for rent, utilities included. I would like to live in the Shockoe Bottom area, or Downtown near there.

I am pretty laid back and neat person; I like to stay low-key during the week, but definitely like to go out and have a good time on the weekends. PM if you are interested or would like to know more about me!

On the map posted, the only area worth living in is the Far West End.

Manchester, Southside, Shockoe, Northside, Fan and all other areas are crime infested and grimy.

Lived in the city while at VCU for three years. 50% of the city populace is on crack at any given moment.

As I am from NOVA, I have higher expectations for what a community entails. I can never understand why Richmond natives defend the metro area.

Manchester, Southside, Shockoe, Northside, Fan and all other areas are crime infested and grimy.

Lived in the city while at VCU for three years. 50% of the city populace is on crack at any given moment.

As I am from NOVA, I have higher expectations for what a community entails. I can never understand why Richmond natives defend the metro area.

Wow, I don't get all the Richmond hate. It's really not all that bad... there are some nice places in all of those areas that you mentioned. I have friends that live in all of them I wouldn't generalize a single one as "crime-infested and grimy." Of course there are bad parts in each area, but there are also nicer places too.

On neighborhoods:

I've stayed in the West End, the Fan, Chesterfield, and Church Hill (I get around.....)

Personally, if I were going to pick one area, Church Hill is great b/c it's so close to the hospital, Cary/Fan is adorable and has lots of cute little places to study, and the West End is sort of old-fashioned and suburban at the same time. There is a pile of housing near Short Pump which is new, but it's a bit of a drive. I'm not personally disturbed by the occasional dumpster diver or schizoid (I mean, eventually they are going to be your patients in the ED anyhow). That said, there are neighborhoods I wouldn't live in (hem, Southside). If you are the sort to be terrified if you see a slightly disheveled dark-skinned dude, and you want to stay that way, then I would choose something a little more remote.

To be honest, if you're OOS, get a week lease on CL and go shopping during orientation week. You will absolutely find something you like, and you could probably even find a MCV student to room with (there are always people who need a roomie, between dental, pharm, med, PT, nursing....).

MCV rocks and Linda Costanzo should be acknowledged as the genius she is and we need to invest in creating her clones.:D

If anyone has INOVA questions feel free to PM me. I was just there last night, actually....

Did VCU say when they would be sending financial aid information?

Bad day?

Hey ******,

Move back to NOVA.

Hey everyone. I'm about 90% sure I'll be attending VCU this Fall. I'm pretty excited. I'm gonna be moving from Florida so it'll be quite a change. All this info about housing is really helpful!

For incoming students not familiar with Richmond, check out http://richmondcrime.org/

Students from Detroit or Fallujah may find Richmond comfortable.

Honestly, live west of Glenside.

Which only brings up 2 shoplifting reports and 1 suspicious person complaint in the last 6 months (within 1 mile of my house). Doesn't really prove your point. And I'm from neither Detroit nor Fallujah. Relax a little bit.

Thank you commonwealth ki for reminding everyone that yes Richmond is indeed a city and crime can occur in a city.

I am also orginally from northern virginia, currently live in the Fan and I find richmond to be safe, convient and without traffic. I also love the school and my experience here so far. If you spend some time doing research you can find nice places to live.

Moving someplace new is scary I know, but remember crime can actually occur anywhere you find people, just as drug use can. You don't need to stock up on assult rifles as commonwealth would have you believe. Did they mention our the tour that Richmond is also the gonorrhea capital of the nation? Better stock up on some ceftriaxone to go with those rifles if you want to come here.

Most Medicial schools in this country are located in or nearby medium to large cities. This is where you find the interesting, diverse and in need patient populations.

If we all practiced medicine west of glenside we wouldn't learn very much now would we?

mglavin has inaccurately implied that...
1) I believe physicians should not practice in underserved / urban areas
2) I advocated armed self defense

One caveat I'll add - Richmond has the highest rate of gun ownership and illegal gun ownership in the Commonwealth. For those with an incredulous bent, this information can be easily accessed through the Virginia Dept. of Public Safety and/or Virginia Dept. of Game and Wildlife.

Indubitably, the educational experience at MCV is augmented by the city's social problems.

Crime of every ilk is a reality in Richmond. Whoever found only three reports of crime within a one mile radius of their abode either lives in the West End (which provides my point) or cannot competently use the website's search function.

Fundamentally, its disingenuous to bill Richmond (city proper) as a safe place to live.

When I first came to VCU, I told people that Richmond was turning around. Wilder tried to turn the ship around but was run out of office by the hooligans who own the city (google Reva Trammell). I have since changed my opinion.

The departure of Wachovia and the collapse of Circuit City will only create more problems for the city government. They have a hard enough time policing the streets, picking up trash, patrolling the 1000+ sex offenders within the city, etc. What will happen when tax revenues plummet disproportionately to the state.

I suppose all the city's social problems are fun for the all the transient med students. They don't really have a stake in the city's future - its schools, parks, road, etc.

I agree with my detractors in that Richmond's functional neighborhoods are inconveniently far from the campus.

I am aware that I coming off a bit strident. I am simply miffed by the pervasiveness of crime and ruin. By and large, Richmond is a fun, inexpensive and hassle-free place to live. I look forward to meeting and working with ya'll - wherever you choose to live.:)

Crime of every ilk is a reality in Richmond. Whoever found only three reports of crime within a one mile radius of their abode either lives in the West End (which provides my point) or cannot competently use the website's search function.

Wow, that's a bit immature, isn't it? And I do not live in the west end, although I did last year

I am aware that I coming off a bit strident. I am simply miffed by the pervasiveness of crime and ruin. By and large, Richmond is a fun, inexpensive and hassle-free place to live. I look forward to meeting and working with ya'll - wherever you choose to live.:)

That I'll agree with. Sure, there is crime-it's sort of inevitable when you put so many people living so close together. Overall though, Richmond is a nice place to live as long as you choose your apartment carefully. If it looks too cheap and good to be true, it probably is.

One caveat I'll add - Richmond has the highest rate of gun ownership and illegal gun ownership in the Commonwealth. For those with an incredulous bent, this information can be easily accessed through the Virginia Dept. of Public Safety and/or Virginia Dept. of Game and Wildlife.

Fundamentally, its disingenuous to bill Richmond (city proper) as a safe place to live.

When I first came to VCU, I told people that Richmond was turning around. Wilder tried to turn the ship around but was run out of office by the hooligans who own the city (google Reva Trammell). I have since changed my opinion.

The departure of Wachovia and the collapse of Circuit City will only create more problems for the city government. They have a hard enough time policing the streets, picking up trash, patrolling the 1000+ sex offenders within the city, etc. What will happen when tax revenues plummet disproportionately to the state.

I suppose all the city's social problems are fun for the all the transient med students. They don't really have a stake in the city's future - its schools, parks, road, etc.

I agree with my detractors in that Richmond's functional neighborhoods are inconveniently far from the campus.

The sky is falling.

Are there any accepted applicants posting on here that think they'll be attending come this Fall? What made y'all decide VCU is the right choice?

Hey,

When do incoming students typically start looking for housing? Would May/early June be too early? Would August be too late? How many weeks on average would it take to find a place?.... I live in California so it's not as convenient for me to look. Thanks.

Most of the places I've checked with have said they usually don't do leases until within 2 months from move-in. I'm planning on moving in around 8/1 so I'll probably start looking in May and try to apply for a place in June.

On neighborhoods:

To be honest, if you're OOS, get a week lease on CL and go shopping during orientation week. You will absolutely find something you like, and you could probably even find a MCV student to room with (there are always people who need a roomie, between dental, pharm, med, PT, nursing....).

What is CL?

Most of the places I've checked with have said they usually don't do leases until within 2 months from move-in. I'm planning on moving in around 8/1 so I'll probably start looking in May and try to apply for a place in June.

So did you decide on VCU/MCV? I read that you were debating going to UMaryland and was just curious.

So did you decide on VCU/MCV? I read that you were debating going to UMaryland and was just curious.

Yes, I'm about 95% certain I'll be at VCU/MCV. There are several reasons I've made this decision, namely money and having my family/friends nearby.

I got my financial aid package from VCU today and my total COA is less than tuition alone at Maryland.

Yes, I'm about 95% certain I'll be at VCU/MCV. There are several reasons I've made this decision, namely money and having my family/friends nearby.

I got my financial aid package from VCU today and my total COA is less than tuition alone at Maryland.

Yeah, I received my financial aid packet the other day as well....$42k !!!! Either way, I am about 90% sure I'll be there as well depending on what happens with several waitlists.

Congratulations to out new M1s. I am a rising M3 who is looking for a roommate starting August 1st. It is a townhouse near the intersection of 25th St and Franklin St. It is a very quiet and safe neighborhood (south of Broad). It is a 15-20 min walk to campus, 10 min bike ride, and there is a bus stop 2 blocks away. It is also located a block from a large grocery store, and close to shops, restaurants, post office, and a bank. It is a 3 bed/2.5 bath with hardwood floors. There is currently another rising M3 living here also, so there would be plenty of books to borrow. The place is pretty much furnished, so you would not need to bring much. There is plenty of street parking. Also, there is a washer and dryer in the basement, and there is plenty of storage in the attic. No smoking and no pets please.

The rent would be $475, which includes cable and internet and a biweekly cleaning service. You would only need to share water and electricity. The lease would start around August 1.

If interested, email [email protected]

Last edited:
hey guys!

I just got off the WL the other day (OOSer) and have turned down my other acceptances (UIC and RFU). Very happy to be on this thread!

Hey everyone. I will be a P1 at VCU school of pharmacy in the fall. I am looking for at least one other female roommate. Move in date August 1. Looking to live in the fan/shockoe/church hill areas. PM if you are looking for a roommate too!

Unfortunately, after two days driving around all parts of Richmond searching for apartments, I may have to agree with this statement. I did NOT feel safe in most areas of Richmond (if you are really interested in a particular apartment or complex, check it out at night to see the true colors), and other than the far West End (ie. Short Pump area) and maybe Tobacco Row, I did not see any areas where I (or much less a young woman) would be comfortable after dark.

I don't mean to sound rude (as some of the other anti-Richmond comments have been), but I have lived in several cities before and I am not searching for upperclass areas or luxury apartments by any means (my Richmond budget during the search was about $500-700 for a 1BR). Is there something I am missing?

Richmond really isn't that bad. If you are nervous about urban areas then maybe you should avoid the Church Hill area, but pretty much anything west of Boulevard is going to be totally fine. West of the 195 (i.e., West Henrico) is pretty much all the same and saying you need to go as far as Short Pump is a little ridiculous.

I do think $500 is a bit low for a decent 1br in the area especially if you want to live in a nicer area as you indicated. You shouldn't have trouble finding something in the $700 range. Check out Malvern Manor perhaps?

Hello all. I am looking at the orientation website, which says there should be a CIRC workshop sign-up form on the orientation section of our applicant status page. I can't seem to find it. More importantly, what's CIRC?

Richmond really isn't that bad. If you are nervous about urban areas then maybe you should avoid the Church Hill area, but pretty much anything west of Boulevard is going to be totally fine. West of the 195 (i.e., West Henrico) is pretty much all the same and saying you need to go as far as Short Pump is a little ridiculous.

I do think $500 is a bit low for a decent 1br in the area especially if you want to live in a nicer area as you indicated. You shouldn't have trouble finding something in the $700 range. Check out Malvern Manor perhaps?

If you are looking for a 1 bed room, 500 is way too low. 700 even wont get you too much bang for the buck but you should be able to find some. Realistically, for a nice apt you should look 800-900/mo for a 1 bed room.

Malvern manor is really nice but close to $1000/mo for a 1 bedroom. Now the 2 bedroom is under $1200.

I recommend getting a roommate. Put up an add on craigslist or the e-board and find a med/grad student to live with. For a combined rent of $1200 you will have no problem finding a nice place- even a 3 br house. Living alone is very expensive.

Umm... It feels REALLY nice to go from pre-allopathic to med student! I just got accepted two days ago!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting to hear from only ONE other school, so my chances are really good I'll end up in Richmond....

COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

And I was on the OOS waitlist since December, so if that gives anybody any hope... it does indeed move, i guess?

Umm... It feels REALLY nice to go from pre-allopathic to med student! I just got accepted two days ago!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting to hear from only ONE other school, so my chances are really good I'll end up in Richmond....

COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

And I was on the OOS waitlist since December, so if that gives anybody any hope... it does indeed move, i guess?

Congrats and welcome to MCV. I came here OOS from CA as well, 2 years ago (wow, I can't believe it's been that long!).

Unfortunately, after two days driving around all parts of Richmond searching for apartments, I may have to agree with this statement. I did NOT feel safe in most areas of Richmond (if you are really interested in a particular apartment or complex, check it out at night to see the true colors), and other than the far West End (ie. Short Pump area) and maybe Tobacco Row, I did not see any areas where I (or much less a young woman) would be comfortable after dark.

I don't mean to sound rude (as some of the other anti-Richmond comments have been), but I have lived in several cities before and I am not searching for upperclass areas or luxury apartments by any means (my Richmond budget during the search was about $500-700 for a 1BR). Is there something I am missing?

$500-$700? No wonder you are disappointed. Get yourself a roommate or another ~500 or so for your monthly rent budget, then look at Malvern, or anywhere west of 2200 block on streets like Grove, Grace etc. Anything further east and you are in VCU academic campus which is notoriously crappy. Don't go through rental property companies like Metro or Waybright if you can avoid it.

Quick question about classes:

Are lectures available online (audio and/or video recordings)?
Are syllabi/class notes online (PDF, PPT, etc.) or do you receive a printed packet?

Thanks.

$500-$700? No wonder you are disappointed. Get yourself a roommate or another ~500 or so for your monthly rent budget, then look at Malvern, or anywhere west of 2200 block on streets like Grove, Grace etc. Anything further east and you are in VCU academic campus which is notoriously crappy. Don't go through rental property companies like Metro or Waybright if you can avoid it.

Yea, I quickly realized that $500 was not going to cut it for a 1BR. I found some nice places in the West End for about $600-$700, however.