VCU/MCV in Richmond versus UKansas + semi-full scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+ve

Keep Ur Head Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My first acceptance was to Virginia Commonwealth University SOM in Richmond, Virginia and a few weeks later, I got accepted to University of Kansas SOM in Kansas city, Kansas. I was almost sure I would be going to VCU until UKansas offered me a semi-full scholarship [scholarship to cover full OOS tuition, fees and books and renewable for all 4 years with good academic standing]. I'm pretty sure VCU will not offer me anything close-- a friend of mine only got a scholarship amount that will reduce her tuition to that of in-state. I'm not too excited about spending four years of my life in Kansas of all places, but that money is very enticing. I like VCU a lot and think I'd be happier in Richmond, Virginia. What do you guys think I should do? At what point do you let the prospect of graduating with less debt decide which school you attend?. Anyone with knowledge of both schools that can help me decide which is better?. Your thoughts will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Before you make any decisions, it's be a good idea to go from "pretty sure" that VCU won't give you a scholarship to "sure" that VCU won't give you a scholarship. I don't know about your particular situation, but I do know that VCU has scholarship funds generally available.

Why not call up VCU and say that you really like their school and hope to matriculate there next year. However, you have been offered a partial scholarship elsewhere, finances are a concern for you, and would they be able to help you out in this regard? The worst they can say is no... and then you can move on from there.

I agree with Wanna_B_Scutty, it's always fair to call the school and tell them about other offers you've been given and ask if they can match it. Especially for medical schools, where they took you because they genuinely want you.

But if they don't, what price can you put on your happiness? Is it worth a difference in $50,000? $100,000? $150,000? Do you really believe that you'll hate Kansas? Do you really believe that Richmond is that great of a city? Do you not mind graduating with a lot of debt because you attended your top choice school? Yadda yadda. Make a list if you must.

(It's a hard choice. I'm from the East Coast and man, it would be a challenge to pick between VA and Kansas. But I am biased towards VA, very much so.)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, that's a tough choice there. i definitely agree that you should try to find out if VCU will give you some money ASAP. even still, i think if you really like VCU, you should go, even if it is considerably more expensive. you can't put a price on happiness, yeah? i dunno, haha.

anyway, that probably wasn't too helpful. just go with your gut. people on SDN are just going to tell you to go to the school that they're not waitlisted at.

personally, im waiting for march 15 to see if i got an in-state spot at VCU. its my top choice and i think the school is awesome.

best of luck

If it were me, I'd definitely go to Kansas (Kansas City's really not that bad), but I'd put pressure on VCU by saying, you were my top choice, but I got a full-ride elsewhere. What can you do for me?

yea i say go to kansas...open up an OOS spot at VCU for me

Hi,
My first acceptance was to Virginia Commonwealth University SOM in Richmond, Virginia and a few weeks later, I got accepted to University of Kansas SOM in Kansas city, Kansas. I was almost sure I would be going to VCU until UKansas offered me a semi-full scholarship [scholarship to cover full OOS tuition, fees and books and renewable for all 4 years with good academic standing]. I'm pretty sure VCU will not offer me anything close-- a friend of mine only got a scholarship amount that will reduce her tuition to that of in-state. I'm not too excited about spending four years of my life in Kansas of all places, but that money is very enticing. I like VCU a lot and think I'd be happier in Richmond, Virginia. What do you guys think I should do? At what point do you let the prospect of graduating with less debt decide which school you attend?. Anyone with knowledge of both schools that can help me decide which is better?. Your thoughts will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi +ve, I will be attending KU this fall, and I can only speak for KU since I don't know much about VCU. I think KU is a good school from what my friends that go there tell me. I think you will like the kansas city area(I actually love it here), and the financial aid package sounds really good. Anyway, good luck with your decision. I am also Nigerian(I noticed you were on the NIgerian premed thread).