VCU/MCV School of Pharmacy Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does VCU only start to review your PharmCAS application after all of your materials are complete? Everything but my transcripts have been sent to PharmCAS but I would like to e-submit and not have to wait for my transcript to come through before they start reviewing my application.
I'm pretty sure you can esubmit your application before your transcript comes in. That's what I did. It automatically updates it when the transcript is received. Also, I believe they don't review your app until everything is complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Check the bottom of your email, guys. You might have to hit "display images in email" first (I had to), but my email says:

Remit payment/photo to:
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Admissions & Student Services
PO Box 980581
Richmond, VA 23286-0411

Looking forward to seeing all of you next fall![/QUOTE]

All the images in my offer email are displayed and it didn't say anything about that address. But, thank you so much for posting it!

Looking forward to being classmates! :)

We should make a facebook group or something. There's a "fan page" right now, but a group is more conducive to discussing stuff.

Yes! I looked and looked but the most recent Class Page I saw was 2017. I want to meet the Class of 2018!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview This Saturday 10/28 So Nervouss!! For everyone who has already interviewed, How was the process?

I'm pretty sure you can esubmit your application before your transcript comes in. That's what I did. It automatically updates it when the transcript is received. Also, I believe they don't review your app until everything is complete.

Does that include the GPA calculations? My transcripts are all set on PharmCAS, but the GPA calculations aren't ready yet.

Interview This Saturday 10/28 So Nervouss!! For everyone who has already interviewed, How was the process?

First off, I recommend shooting to arrive a half hour early - when I interviewed, the parking lot they directed me to was absolutely full and I wasted a good 20 minutes driving in circles. Stupid city traffic :mad:

You will receive individualized schedules which will consist of:
-a meet and greet of the other interviewees
-a 40 minute orientation about the school
-two 20 minute interviews (one is with student/faculty, the other is with student/alumni)
-50 minute tour of the facilities
-40 minutes for essay
-30 minute Q&A session at the end

Go through the questions listed on the interview feedback page - they're really helpful.

TO VCU ADMISSIONS

I received an official acceptance letter via email on 10/15 and it requests that I submit my deposit, as well as a passport photo in order to reserve my place in the upcoming class. However, the email does not provide a return address for me to mail said items to the School. Should I send my deposit to the office of admissions P.O. Box address prior to receiving a "follow up offer packet" or after? That is, do I wait until my official letter arrives via USPS (which i would assume would provide a return address), or do I send my passport picture and deposit first, and then I'll receive the follow up offer packet?

Thanks!

An "Official Admission Letter" is prepared and sent shortly after the acceptance email. It will contain specific instructions concerning the deposit and other pertinent information (e.g., what prerequisites are still outstanding).

First off, I recommend shooting to arrive a half hour early - when I interviewed, the parking lot they directed me to was absolutely full and I wasted a good 20 minutes driving in circles. Stupid city traffic :mad:

You will receive individualized schedules which will consist of:
-a meet and greet of the other interviewees
-a 40 minute orientation about the school
-two 20 minute interviews (one is with student/faculty, the other is with student/alumni)
-50 minute tour of the facilities
-40 minutes for essay
-30 minute Q&A session at the end

Go through the questions listed on the interview feedback page - they're really helpful.
Thank you so much!! this is really helpful. =)

I am ED applicant and I received preliminary acceptance and released my certiphi background on October 14. However, I haven't received anything after. how long would it take to receive any confirmation? Thank you!

I'm gonna have to pay $1000 in a deposit because they accepted me as "out-of-state." I live in Virginia but I only moved here in June :-/ But by the time class starts I'd have been here for over a year and I'll be married to someone who has lived here for a while. So I'll definitely be pissed if I can't claim "in-state" by the time I matriculate.

I'm going to VCU for sure. I applied ED.

I was stupid to tell Certiphi that I lived oversea for couple of years, so now they wanted me to do a background check in that country. Blah... So my US background check is complete but not my foreign background check. They tell me it will be done on Nov 15 X( So I guess I don't get my official acceptance letter until then? Blah.... Btw, I am going to VCU for sure. I just want to pay the freaking deposit to get it out of the way.

Hey guys I just got an interview today for 11/2 and I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what its about or how to prepare. Much preciated
I think you should go to student doctor looking at ultimate interview questions. I prepared my interview based on that and it was very helpful because there were some mock questions at my interview, like what is my negative trait, how do you handle difficult people, how do you handle conflict, etc. You should know the "why" questions like why pharmacy, why VCU, why this why that. Know yourself well, be prepared to give them examples of a time when you solved this and that problem. I know the interview depends on the person who interviews you. My first interviewer was very laid back, had some conversation with me. My 2nd interviewer had a list of questions and he went on questions after questions after questions, no conversation, very formal. And yes, he was the one who asked me mock questions. I might just be unlucky but you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best, right?

The writing at VCU is about how you handle situation XYZ. If you were balh blah blah, what would you do.

Forget about your grades and PCAT and stuff. If they call you for an interview, your "numbers" are fine. I got a 50 on my PCAT, a 25 on my PCAT reading (WTF right?) and got accepted. So be confident, be yourself.

I think you should go to student doctor looking at ultimate interview questions. I prepared my interview based on that and it was very helpful because there were some mock questions at my interview, like what is my negative trait, how do you handle difficult people, how do you handle conflict, etc. You should know the "why" questions like why pharmacy, why VCU, why this why that. Know yourself well, be prepared to give them examples of a time when you solved this and that problem. I know the interview depends on the person who interviews you. My first interviewer was very laid back, had some conversation with me. My 2nd interviewer had a list of questions and he went on questions after questions after questions, no conversation, very formal. And yes, he was the one who asked me mock questions. I might just be unlucky but you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best, right?

The writing at VCU is about how you handle situation XYZ. If you were balh blah blah, what would you do.

Forget about your grades and PCAT and stuff. If they call you for an interview, your "numbers" are fine. I got a 50 on my PCAT, a 25 on my PCAT reading (WTF right?) and got accepted. So be confident, be yourself.

I just got an interview today for 11/16. My GPA is pretty low and my PCAT is alright (2.87 cum and 74 PCAT). I'm giving up another interview at Thomas Jefferson U for this one. Do you think it's worth going to the VCU interview over TJU with the low stats? I'm surprised they even invited me!

I just got an interview today for 11/16. My GPA is pretty low and my PCAT is alright (2.87 cum and 74 PCAT). I'm giving up another interview at Thomas Jefferson U for this one. Do you think it's worth going to the VCU interview over TJU with the low stats? I'm surprised they even invited me!
Why can't you go to both? Can you reschedule TJU interview? I applied to bunch of schools because my PCAT is so slow and with a 25 on PCAT reading, it is scary not to apply to many schools lol. I mean I think when VCU invited you for an interview, you must have something special that they see in you. Just be prepared to explain why GPA so low, stuff like that

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't you go to both? Can you reschedule TJU interview? I applied to bunch of schools because my PCAT is so slow and with a 25 on PCAT reading, it is scary not to apply to many schools lol. I mean I think when VCU invited you for an interview, you must have something special that they see in you. Just be prepared to explain why GPA so low, stuff like that

Yeah I'm trying to reschedule but they're pretty slow at responding. Oh and I meant to say, should I choose to go to VCU over TJU FIRST, since everything is on a rolling basis.

Thanks for your help! I decided to go to VCU first and then TJU later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I got an interview invite call today (for either 11/16 or 1/11) and was wondering, how is the area around the school like? Or Richmond in general?

I am trying to debate whether or not I should go to the interview, since it is a good school and tuition is so cheap (in comparison to other schools)... but have already spent so much money flying out :(

Hello!

I got an interview invite call today (for either 11/16 or 1/11) and was wondering, how is the area around the school like? Or Richmond in general?

I am trying to debate whether or not I should go to the interview, since it is a good school and tuition is so cheap (in comparison to other schools)... but have already spent so much money flying out :(

Congrats!! I am from Richmond and while Richmond city can be dangerous after it gets dark, it's really cute and cozy. Also, the School of Pharmacy is on the same campus as the medical school, dental school, etc. There are lots of things to do around the city. You just have to be careful at night.

Hello!

Hey I've seen you around! I applied to UK and Midwestern Chicago, too :)

I'm not a Richmond resident but I did go to the interview - the school is directly on the MCV campus and the library/hospital/everything you need is all a block away so there seems to be minimal walking at night. The pharmacy building itself is always locked and only accessible to pharmacy students - even then, you need to swipe your ID to get in. Several of the female students mentioned how they'll study there until 2 a.m. so clearly they have no qualms about safety (they drive so I guess parking is pretty safe too).

I would say, living in Richmond would be like any other city. Be aware of your surroundings, walk in groups when possible, don't take candy from strangers...listen to your instincts, etc.

I can't speak for things to do IN Richmond, but as a VA resident I can say that colonial Williamsburg and the Premium outlets are 30 minutes away. Busch Gardens and King's Dominion are also 30 minutes away for summer amusement as well as seasonal events like Howl-O-Scream/Halloween Haunt and Christmas Town. I'd say VA Beach is about 1.5 hours away ... For the outdoorsy type, there are orchards and hiking trails within the immediate vicinity.

Hello everyone. The VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 Facebook page was inadvertently set up so that you could only view the page and not join. A new page has been set up so that everyone can become a member, whether or not you have already applied or been accepted into the class. Please be sure that you go to the new page: VCU School of Pharmacy Class of 2018 that has been set up as a "Group Page" and is open to all. If you go to the old page, there is a link to take you to the new page. There also appears to be an "unauthorized" page for the Class on Facebook that is not "open". Here is a message from Cynthia McMullen, the Public Relations Director for the School of Pharmacy:

Hi, I do public relations for the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy and look forward to getting to know you during the next few years. Although I might post something of interest from time to time, this is YOUR group page. Wondering where to live in Richmond or where to go for fun? Looking for notes from a recent class? (Well, next year, anyway ... .) Here you go!

What percentage of people who get an interview will ultimately be accepted? I read online that there are 300 interviews given out and the entering class is around 140, which makes it ~50%. Is this accurate?

I am a current student here, last year when I got in I was so excited. I got into UNC Chapel Hill's program first, but after I visited the school and everyone was so nice and everything appeared new and shiny, I was set on going here. Someone warned me not to go here and said I was crazy for turning down chapel hill ( which is ranked higher). I ignored them and looking back I REALLLLY REGRET coming here. It was a huge mistake. I talked to a friend of mine at chapel hill and she tells me about how wonderful of a time she is having, and I along with many of my classmates are just miserable and fed up with the administration here. DONT COME HERE, if you have another option.

I am a current student here, last year when I got in I was so excited. I got into UNC Chapel Hill's program first, but after I visited the school and everyone was so nice and everything appeared new and shiny, I was set on going here. Someone warned me not to go here and said I was crazy for turning down chapel hill ( which is ranked higher). I ignored them and looking back I REALLLLY REGRET coming here. It was a huge mistake. I talked to a friend of mine at chapel hill and she tells me about how wonderful of a time she is having, and I along with many of my classmates are just miserable and fed up with the administration here. DONT COME HERE, if you have another option.

Hmm, can I ask what makes you so unhappy going to VCU? :oops:

Have any other RD applicants heard back yet? I know we're suppose to allow a few weeks weeks for a response but I'm surprised a few RD people further up the thread got a response in less than 5 days...you guys must be awesome.

I had my interview 11/1, has anyone heard back from that time yet? I know they said allow 3 weeks but im so anxious i keep checking my email like an idiot hoping for an answer...

I had my interview 11/1, has anyone heard back from that time yet? I know they said allow 3 weeks but im so anxious i keep checking my email like an idiot hoping for an answer...
They said 2-3 weeks and after 3 weeks I called and they said 4 weeks or sometimes longer! :(

Does anyone know when RD will be reviewed and given interviews or has this already started? I applied on 9/3/13 as an ED applicant but for some reason my application was deferred to RD. Anyway, I am incredibly eager to find out one way or the other as VCU SOP is my first choice. Here's to hoping 3.37 GPA and 88 Percentile Comp works for me.

Last edited:
Have any other RD applicants heard back yet? I know we're suppose to allow a few weeks weeks for a response but I'm surprised a few RD people further up the thread got a response in less than 5 days...you guys must be awesome.

I just received a conditional acceptance until I complete a certiphi background request.

EDIT: I thought it was VCU since I received the certiphi request but I've come to learn that other schools use it too! =( Sorry We're still waiting!! they said 3-4 weeks

Last edited:
I just received a conditional acceptance until I complete a certiphi background request!!! im pretty sure its from VCU so check your emails. I interviewed 10/26
Congrats! I interview on the 10/26 too, what's your name? Maybe we were in the same tour group.

I just received a conditional acceptance until I complete a certiphi background request!!! im pretty sure its from VCU so check your emails. I interviewed 10/26
Congratulations! That answers my question about RD applicants.

Hey everyone so i applied to VCU and i got a 31 pcat score. It was my 3rd time taking it. Each time it went up by 1 point basically. I will take it again in january and really study my little heart out over xmas break. I will have a 2.8 ish gpa after the academic update. I have worked at walmart pharmacy as a certified tech for about 16 months. I did medical lab research in the dept of molecular physiology and biophysics for two years, and I was on the exec board for a cultural student org on campus. Volunteered at the hospital for 2 years. Do i have a shot with this school?

VCU admission told me that they want 50 percentile for each section in pcat at least... i feel like if you improve on your pcat, you have a chance

To VCU Admissions/ VCU pharm. students,

I've heard a normal day of a VCU pharmacy students start from 8-5. Is it class after class after class?

Thanks

I've heard a normal day of a VCU pharmacy students start from 8-5. Is it class after class after class?

Thanks

The simple answer is no-- it would be pretty brutal to have 9 straight hours of lecture. When I was on tour, my guide mentioned that there would be a fair amount of down time between classes. Also, since some courses we have to take are only 1 credit/short modules, the breaks between classes vary throughout the semester, too.

Thanks

Although our classes do run between 8am-5pm M-F, students usually have between 20-21 hours of lecture/conference per week (~4 hours/day) and one 2- 2.5 hour lab/week. Some semesters your classes/labs are spread out over the whole day and other semesters you may have most of your classes in either the afternoon or morning and have several 1/2 days off.

The due date to send in photo and deposit was on November 7, if I turn in my photo and deposit tomorrow does that mean my seat will not be reserved anymore?

Has anyone who interviewed after 10/26 heard back yet? Does the admissions committee meet every week? :eek:

Has anyone who interviewed after 10/26 heard back yet? Does the admissions committee meet every week? :eek:

they don't meet every week. i interviewed 11/2 and dr. valentine had said that they were going to meet up middle of nov

Someone posted that they heard back and they interviewed on 10/26
Oh right, I was wondering if anyone who interviewed on 11/2 or 11/9 had heard back yet, haha. Or when 11/2 and 11/9 interviewees should expect to hear back. I know Dean Reinders said anywhere from 3-4 weeks, but I'm hoping it will be sooner :)

Oh right, I was wondering if anyone who interviewed on 11/2 or 11/9 had heard back yet, haha. Or when 11/2 and 11/9 interviewees should expect to hear back. I know Dean Reinders said anywhere from 3-4 weeks, but I'm hoping it will be sooner :)

i interviewed 11/2 but havent heard back yet....did u interview 11/2?

i interviewed 11/2 but havent heard back yet....did u interview 11/2?
Yeah I did! I hope we hear back soon...though I'm not too hopefully haha. I just hope we don't have to wait until winter break

Yeah I did! I hope we hear back soon...though I'm not too hopefully haha. I just hope we don't have to wait until winter break

oh i kno i keep hoping we don't hav to wait till winter break! im hoping we find out before thanksgiving, the wait is killing me!! what is ur name? i probably saw u

I'm a little confused about the 3rd and 4th year at another campus on the supplemental application. I'm interested in the Inova Campus but I know they only accept 20 students for that program. If I mark Option 1, "prefer to do 3rd and 4th years at Inova", will that alter my chances of getting into VCU? If they already accepted their cap of 20 students for that program OR I'm not good enough to be placed in that program, will I automatically get rejected? For now, I marked "I may be interested" just in case but I'm not really clear on all of this.

Thanks for any input!

When reviewing applicants for an admissions decision, the Admissions Committee does not consider which campus the student wants to go to for the 3rd and 4th year of the program.

I'm a little confused about the 3rd and 4th year at another campus on the supplemental application. I'm interested in the Inova Campus but I know they only accept 20 students for that program. If I mark Option 1, "prefer to do 3rd and 4th years at Inova", will that alter my chances of getting into VCU? If they already accepted their cap of 20 students for that program OR I'm not good enough to be placed in that program, will I automatically get rejected? For now, I marked "I may be interested" just in case but I'm not really clear on all of this.

Thanks for any input!

Interviewed on Sat 11/2
Received my preliminary acceptance via email 11/14

Can't wait to meet you all!! :D

I got my preliminary acceptance email on 11/14 and interviewed on 10/26. See you all next year!

Please elaborate.

Everyone's experience is different. I'm sorry VCU isn't turning out to be a good fit for you; but, that doesn't mean it would be that way for everyone. I feel it's kinda disrespectful (to the school and to the excited applicants) to come on this board trying to dissuade people from coming to the school without even giving clear evidence as to why it's supposedly bad.

Reactions: 2 users